Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have about 15k miles left, or about a year worth of driving until my warranty expires. If i get the warranty it will last me roughly 3 years. i just don't see having over 1k in repairs every year to make the warranty worth it, the worst part i think is the $200 deductible. If the warranty was 2-3k and required no additional charges for bringing the car in for repairs i would have bought it in an instant.

Has anyone tried getting an ESA with an independent company (not Tesla)? I'm just wondering whether there are other options besides going with Tesla.
While I have not explored possible Tesla alternatives, I have with former Lexus, MBZ and BMW to sometimes excrutiating degree. Net in all cases is essentially buyer-beware and do your due-diligence: Read terms carefully to understand if you pay in advance and get reimbursed after-the-fact or if they (and Tesla in this case) will work directly with the company you have -- not all will on both sides of that equation; What co-pays may or may not be required; Need for pre-authorization and if they are available 7x24x365 to do that if needed (e.g. Tesla has 7x24 support BD some SCs are open Saturday while not all 3rd parties are); Exactly what parts are and are not included (you may need to read carefully and figure out what is intentionally excluded from what they DO list on this agreement); Do you have confidence the company will be solvent when your warranty claim needs to be made; Ability to transfer the warranty if you sell or (heaven forbid) your car is totaled; etc. Good luck with your decision.

@BertL, you're absolutely right in that the devil is in the details. For the 10 or so sites I went to do a quote for an extended warranty, 80% of them didn't even list Tesla as an option for manufacturer. Haven't gone thru and requested an actual quote but I will do that for point of reference and to be able to have an option if one exists.

Not quite an apples to apples comparison but my husband's 2015 F-150 which has an aluminum-based body and lots of expensive electronics got an ESA for $1500 and $50 deductible which seems like a bargain compared to Tesla's. The cost of his vehicle was ~$60k.