Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Debate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it’s more about a peace of mind. Sure, I can afford a $3k or $4k repair, but I prefer to know that my liability is limited to the $2k warranty premium (plus possible deductible) over years 5 and 6 of the car life. If I didn’t have this assurance, I would probably sell the car, but I know that I would pay way more in sales tax plus the annual property tax (Virginia), let alone the depreciation. So the extended warranty is what’s keeping me from buying a new car and spending $20,000 over the same 2-year period. $2k vs. $20k is pretty simple math.

When was the extended warranty price reduced to $2k? I thought it was $4.5-5.5k?

...“tow”...

That's a good point that towing is included in an extended warranty.

Fortunately, my 2 repairs could be delayed (the car still ran fine, it's just a convenience factor) so I could bring the car in myself during a scheduled maintenance.

Without paying for an extended warranty, if my car broke down in the middle of the road, it would cost me a lot for a tow since I am about almost 200 miles from a Service Center. In that case, paying for 200 mile AAA tow premium membership might be a good substitution when not paying Tesla for extended warranty.

...is it worth it?...

Back when I bought my 2012 Model S, it sounded like lots of people were against it. And guess how much did they refuse to pay?

$2,400 for 4 years / 50,000 miles whichever comes first:

TkcPdGl.jpg

The argument was the same: The house always wins: $2,400 is just too high for something that most people won't use.

I actually paid $2,400 and I got 2 problems fixed that were worth $4,000+$4,500=$8,500.

t least it was just an arm and a leg and not a “tow” :D

I did purchase the extended warranty as well. Just turned 50k miles this week on my 2017 S100D.

if youre doing 50k miles a year.. it would seem even less cost effective to pay ~$4800 for only a year of warranty

One MCU screen replacement will cover the warranty cost... :cool:

most MCU issues have been screen related which is about $1000 if you have tesla replace it or you can live with it honestly, it doesnt effect funcitionality

Back when I bought my 2012 Model S, it sounded like lots of people were against it. And guess how much did they refuse to pay?

$2,400 for 4 years / 50,000 miles whichever comes first:

TkcPdGl.jpg

The argument was the same: The house always wins: $2,400 is just too high for something that most people won't use.

I actually paid $2,400 and I got 2 problems fixed that were worth $4,000+$4,500=$8,500.

i would think about it for $2400 but double that cost now seems a bit far

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Are there any other benefits to the extended warranty? For example, if something breaks out of warranty and it takes a month to get the part, will Tesla give you a free loaner for that month like they do when it's in warranty? Will they still provide mobile repairs, roadside assistance (flat tires), etc?

I usually don't get extended warranties and "self-insure" instead, unless there are extra benefits (expedited repair/replace for appliances for example) that make it worth paying for.

...free loaner...

Yes. Even when it takes a long time like a month or more.

...mobile repairs...

Yes. Tesla prefers mobile ranger rather than crowding Service Center. Ranger availability depends on locality and distance.

...roadside assistance (flat tires), etc?...

Yes, including towing.

...other benefits to the extended warranty...

I think without extended warranty, an out-of-pocket repair is only good for 1 year while your extended warranty repairs are good for the entire time of your contract.

What's the odds of getting the same problem from happening again?

Lately, there's a report of a replacement for 17" display yellow discoloration which lasted about a year then it had to be replaced again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
if youre doing 50k miles a year.. it would seem even less cost effective to pay ~$4800 for only a year of warranty

I had several things go wrong right at the 50k mark on my S85D before I sold it. I pre-purchased FSD when I upgraded to AP2 and S100D so I plan on keeping this one for quite a while. Just hedging my bets that something major may need replacing before 100k mile mark. My wife's X will have many more years before miles on it so didn't buy any additional warranty for it. (meanwhile her X is also just a placeholder for her since she really wants a Taycan and the jury is still way out on what it will become at actual launch)

When you buy an extended warranty, you are betting that repairs will cost more than you paid and Tesla is betting the other way. Who do you think is better at measuring the risk accurately?

Tesla likely has a third party auto warranty insurer that handles the risk assessment part. As with all insurance, you'll have a pool of individuals, some high risk, some low risk. Add operating costs and a profit margin on top of the expected claims for the pool and the average warranty buyer should be coming out behind. However, like most warranties, Tesla doesn't evaluate risk on an individual basis. After four years / 50k miles you likely know your specific car and your driving habits in relation to the average Tesla/Tesla driver better than Tesla does. The average driver should not be paying for a warranty, but the ones who've had more issues in the past and expect heavy usage should definitely pick one up.

I thought the 50K/ 4 year limit only applied at the date the policy started, meaning that you could add as many miles as you like, once the policy was already in force.

warranty ends either when you hit 4 years or 50k miles.

if you buy extended, thats another 4 years and 50k miles addition (so 8 years or 100k miles total)

there is no unlimited miles unless you are referring to the battery/drive unit.

I had several things go wrong right at the 50k mark on my S85D before I sold it. I pre-purchased FSD when I upgraded to AP2 and S100D so I plan on keeping this one for quite a while. Just hedging my bets that something major may need replacing before 100k mile mark. My wife's X will have many more years before miles on it so didn't buy any additional warranty for it. (meanwhile her X is also just a placeholder for her since she really wants a Taycan and the jury is still way out on what it will become at actual launch)

im not following you. so you paid $4800 for 1 extra year of warranty since i assume you drove 100k miles in 2 years?

My ESV ends in 2020 or in 22k miles, car has had the doorhandles replaced and thats it. DU was replaced under original 8yr warranty. MCU looks great although I worry one day the dreaded bubbles will show up. Not super concerned with having car outside of ESV. Outside of the 8yr warranty tho still scares me.

• Informative
warranty ends either when you hit 4 years or 50k miles.

if you buy extended, thats another 4 years and 50k miles addition (so 8 years or 100k miles total)

there is no unlimited miles unless you are referring to the battery/drive unit.
Yes, you're right - the car has to be no more than 4 years and 50K miles when you take out the policy and the policy is then only valid for another 4 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first. I wasn't thinking straight.

• Informative