Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best third party warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a used Tesla with no warranty.
Anyone have any suggestions for a warranty I can purchase. My battery and drive train are still covered for a couple years but I’m curious about anything else.
Can’t get extended warranty on the app.
Anyone have suggestions??

Welcome to the Tesla Family!
XCare EV Protection is a great option for your new Model S. We do not care about where you purchased your vehicle from, or if you are well past factory warranty- If you are able to select your vehicle specifics, and see term options on our website then you will qualify! XCare EV Protection

Depending on the age and milage of your vehicle you may even qualify for our battery & drive unit coverage. check it out!

Let us know if you have any questions!

-Team XCare

Welcome to the Tesla Family!
XCare EV Protection is a great option for your new Model S. We do not care about where you purchased your vehicle from, or if you are well past factory warranty- If you are able to select your vehicle specifics, and see term options on our website then you will qualify! XCare EV Protection

Depending on the age and milage of your vehicle you may even qualify for our battery & drive unit coverage. check it out!

Let us know if you have any questions!

-Team XCare
How do I contact you by phone?

Has anyone tried any other companies? Looking for additional coverage if possible... Has anyone used Total Auto Protect or CarShield, or are they just scams? I know I should just go with XShield but for our mileage they're only going to cover a years worth of issues.

Has anyone tried any other companies? Looking for additional coverage if possible... Has anyone used Total Auto Protect or CarShield, or are they just scams? I know I should just go with XShield but for our mileage they're only going to cover a years worth of issues.
I almost bought car shield but two things convinced me otherwise
1. I called tesla service and asked them if they ever dealt with car shield. They said no
And that I should go with XCare which they know is reliable
2. The car shield salesman on phone was incredibly agressjve I got him down on deductible and price and yet when he sent me the info it wasn’t ev specific. Too many head scratchers for me.
I dealt with a guy named Dayan at XCare. He was great.

How do I interpret the line break downs?
2022 with 10k miles currently....

Term Length: 8 years ( is this from the manf year of the vehicle?)
Miles: 100k ( is this total mileage from new?) so 90k more?
Coverage until date: Dec 2031 (I'm assuming from manf year)
Coverage until mileage: 110k

Just a bit confused on interpreting.

How do I interpret the line break downs?
2022 with 10k miles currently....

Term Length: 8 years ( is this from the manf year of the vehicle?)
Miles: 100k ( is this total mileage from new?) so 90k more?
Coverage until date: Dec 2031 (I'm assuming from manf year)
Coverage until mileage: 110k

Just a bit confused on interpreting.

@Predation Happy to clairfy-

Term Length: 8 years- Term length adds from date of warranty purchase + 30 days (from activation date)
Miles: 100k. ADD ON from milage on contact
Coverage until date: Dec 2031 ADD on from date of contract
Coverage until mileage: 110k : or 100,000 from milage at time of contract

Please let us know if we can answer any additional or specific questions-

I was considering purchasing an extended warranty through a third party until the 057 debacle. Looking at the numbers, do these companies have a sustainable business model?

I have a 2016 MX and could purchase a 9-year battery and drive unit warranty for ~$4k. The average battery replacement cost for a MX is what, $20k? So to break even, they would need to only replace 1 out of 5 MX batteries that they cover for the next 9 years. That doesn't include drive units or operating costs. Is that realistic?

And the warranty is transferable and partially refundable, so they don't necessarily get a benefit when someone totals or sells their vehicle.

I understand the concept of bringing in new customers every year to cover that year's costs, but it seems to me that is a less than perfect strategy given the high costs and high failure rates of the parts that are covered for such a long time.