Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience Picking up my P3D at Marina Del Rey Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my "sleeper" white P3D with 18 inch aeros today. The day started out badly when I got a call from the delivery center an hour before the appointment time telling me they'd found a scratch on the driver side rocker panel and asking if i wanted to delay the delivery while they fixed it (est 5d) or take delivery and have it fixed later.

I went to the delivery center (not in the best of moods given the news) to check out the car. They were very apologetic and let me check out the car outside in the sun in detail before deciding what to do. In the end I decided to take the car and get it fixed in a week or two. Other than the small scratch the car seems perfect and I reason that a couple of weeks will give time for any teething issues to show up and have them fixed at the same time as the scratch.

Despite starting out in a bad mood the delivery experience was actually very enjoyable and Fernando at the MDR delivery center did a great job of making it painless and giving me as much time as I needed. A tidbit I heard while I was there is that Elon picked up his personal white on white P3D at MDR earlier this week.

The car itself is fantastic and everything I hoped it would be. I've barely started exploring the performance yet, but the acceleration is intense and the car feels incredibly planted even with the stock 18 inch rims and tires. No issues to report other than the brake warning light showing up for a couple of minutes each time I start the car which i see is a known firmware issue that's fixed in the next version.

FWIW I had a hard time programming my garage door opener to homelink. The trick for me seemed to be holding the remote actually slightly under the front bumper while doing the programming. Perhaps my remote batteries are just slightly weak.

Enjoy it! FWIW, I think you made the right decision. When I picked up my car in May, I noticed a slight discoloration on the passenger A-pillar headliner fabric. I took the car anyway. It's a minor thing that most passengers don't notice unless I point it out.

I took the car, put 7200 miles on it in the 2.5 months since, and brought it in for a tire rotation and to have that fabric and a charge port issue addressed today. Tesla service was great, taking care of the fabric, the port, upgraded the firmware, measured the tires and told me I don't actually need a rotation yet (saving me some cash), and they tossed in a free extra key card when I asked if I could buy one.

I know service is overloaded in certain locales, and that folks have had differing experiences. IF my own experience so far is any indication, they'll take care of you.

As an FYI for the tires, they told me that it's certainly possible to need a rotation at 6,250 miles as mentioned in the service schedule, but that tends to be the case for the P cars and for those who really floor it frequently.