Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVSE died after 7years and 23MWh. Low cost dumb EVSE replacement recommendations ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After more than 7years and >23MWh of throughput my eHome Wallbox dumb EVSE has started randomly tripping a 40a breaker. No visible scorching / issues inter After the third event today when there wasn’t anyone home and nothing plugged in enough is enough.

We have full control over charging time / current through the Tesla app and dont want the faff and failure points associated with a smart charger and another app that may or may not be supported in the future.

As such we are looking for a replacement dumb EVSE - the simpler and cheaper the better. And ideally one where we can reuse our existing tethered cable.

Any suggestions or recommendations ? Am happy to DIY it even if such kits exist.

I regularly see the Tesla mobile connectors for $150 on facebook marketplace. the Gen 1 is good for 40 amps, the Gen 2 is good for 32. Only rub is you'll need a NEMA 14-50 outlet but that's easy enough to install.

My home charging setup is a Gen 1 mobile EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 in the ceiling above my car. That's been working great for 2.5 years.

Edit: I see you're in the UK so this may not be relevant.

Reactions: Fly.guy
I regularly see the Tesla mobile connectors for $150 on facebook marketplace. the Gen 1 is good for 40 amps, the Gen 2 is good for 32. Only rub is you'll need a NEMA 14-50 outlet but that's easy enough to install.

My home charging setup is a Gen 1 mobile EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 in the ceiling above my car. That's been working great for 2.5 years.
Different here in the UK.

Reactions: Fly.guy
The point still stands. As the wiring already exists switching over to a Gen 3 Wall Connector is trivial.

You also get the button to open the charge port.

Good point - the button would be a bonus. And the Gen 3 wall connector is relatively good value and woudl integrate with the existing Tesla app used by the car.

One potential issue is a lack of a dedicated earth rod and DC leakage detection (neither of which were in the regs in 2016) - could I just slot in a replacement unit without having to bring it up to current spec ?

Reactions: Roger20

Edit: I see you're in the UK so this may not be relevant.
Good idea. The cabling is already in place for a 240V 32a supply hard wired back to the garrage consumer unit. So all it would need would be a new EVSE box.

New purchase = smart. But that doesn’t mean too clever. PodPoint basically has a random 5 min time start plus a time schedule. I’m sure prob some throttling code too.

Regulations: electric vehicle smart charge points

Cheap you say? Electric Vehicle Home Wall Charger - 32amp 7KW - Electric Vehicle Equipment (I don’t have one).

In terms of RCDs a guide: RCD Requirements for EV Charging

If you need PEN fault detection:

Reactions: Roger20 and Fly.guy
I don't think "dumb" chargers can be installed any more.
The regulation is based on the sale of chargers, not their installation. Therefore you can purchase a secondhand 'dumb' charger and have an electrician install it without issue.

Guidance specifically states it does not apply to chargers that are:
sold by individuals outside of the purposes of their trade, business, craft or profession (for example, second-hand sales made between private individuals)

Another vote for the Tesla wall connector. I had a Rolec dumb charger that died. You can't buy a new dumb charger now but you can buy a used one and install that. Also the PEN protection is insisted upon even if a replacement for a dumb charger.

Tesla one shows up in the app and you can set max charge rate. It's also so good just having the button on the charge handle to open the charge flap instead of farting about with the app.

I have it set to charge all the time apart from peak time and have no schedules on the car. That's got rid of the annoying half speed charging issue the car had as well.

You can make any smart charger dumb by changing your wifi password anyway.

Reactions: Fly.guy and JIBYC