Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

evse chargers questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My EVSE is showing signs yet again of faulty cable or connector, meaning that the car will refuse to charge, saying that there is no power available. At least that is the most likely explanation. This seems to a re-occurring problem for me. Although previously Tesla would replace it under warranty.

How long is the warranty on these? My suspicion is that I won't be replaceable under warranty, and I will have to pay for a new EVSE plus electrician to legally install it. But I would like know for sure. I can't seem to find any details about the warranty.

In case I do have to replace it, wondering if it might be better to get a third party EVSE. Maybe one without an attached cable. That way if the cable breaks again I just need to replace the cable, not the entire EVSE + get electrician to install it.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Regards

How many times has this happened? I can understand one failure as bad luck, but if you are having multiple then I'd suggest you are doing something wrong, or the install is dodgy...

EVSE's are extremely simple devices (in comparison to other electrical devices at least). You shouldn't be encountering multiple failures unless you are super unlucky.

This is the 7 meter version cable. Is it possible longer cable is less reliable? Guessing it shouldn't actually matter.
Mine is the 7m too, I think most people get that one.

Here's a thought - are you maybe winding the cable too tightly when it's not in use? Mine has three loops hanging down (so 2 and a half loops in total), too tight of a bend radius will damage the conductors.

My V2 wall connector is 4 or 5 years old and has been acting up for a while. The port opening button no longer works but if I move the cable as little as possible i can avoid the dreaded red light and check wall power message. Leaving it plugged in and pressing the reset button on the wall connector generally clears it. Also leaving a door open when you plug in causes the car to draw power through the wall connectors to support the AC and ensures a more reliable timed charge.
I‘m told the V3 doesn’t suffer from this problem.

I have had a V2 HPWC with 7m cable working perfectly since late 2019 and don't take particular care of it other than to keep the handle off the ground. I also have a JetCharge BYO unit that I got as part of a grid trial for a few years and it also works perfectly. I don't think that I have ever had to reset either unit, and any problems with opening the charge door with the button have been with my phone keys acting stupid. They seem like pretty solid little units.

When I last got the charger replaced - I suspect V2 charger - not sure now when that was - might be November 2018 (but not 100% sure of this), I heard rumours that there was a known problem with the chargers that had been fixed. Supposedly my new charger had the problem fixed, but not 100% sure of that.

So maybe people here saying they have not had problems got the fixed charger and @meloccom and myself got the unfixed ones?