Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-Offer power frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the EVOffer power funk kit yesterday and I'm very pleased with the end result. The kit with YouTube videos was straightforward and it works perfectly (notwithstanding the installer). I'm here to tell everyone that getting to the left bottom strut is a feat of perseverance and borders on daunting. My arms and hands look like I've attempted to rescue a feral cat who doesn't want to be resecured. (Don't ask how I know that.) The Y is the wife's car and she was bummed that the frunk doesn't open and close like the Rivian's so I fixed it for her. Now she's thrilled!

I love mine as well, it works very well but had a major installation problem. Got all the hardware/cabling connected, then plugged in the ECU -- nothing happened :(.

Used the Telegram app to contact support, they got back to me the next day and asked for a picture of the side of the harness to the ECU. Got a message back a little later and was told to swap the power -- it worked. Now I have the black wire hooked to the battery terminal and the red (with fuse) hooked to ground :confused:. Glad no one sees it. Beeper didn't work so they promised to send me a new one.

Waiting for the beeper before doing the firmware update. They changed the ECU looks and flashing light behavior compared with the YouTube videos. So without the beeper, I'm kind of flying blind.

I love mine as well, it works very well but had a major installation problem. Got all the hardware/cabling connected, then plugged in the ECU -- nothing happened :(.

Used the Telegram app to contact support, they got back to me the next day and asked for a picture of the side of the harness to the ECU. Got a message back a little later and was told to swap the power -- it worked. Now I have the black wire hooked to the battery terminal and the red (with fuse) hooked to ground :confused:. Glad no one sees it. Beeper didn't work so they promised to send me a new one.

Waiting for the beeper before doing the firmware update. They changed the ECU looks and flashing light behavior compared with the YouTube videos. So without the beeper, I'm kind of flying blind.

Glad I found this thread and read your post. I installed the EVOffer power frunk on my wife’s 2023 Y this afternoon and have the same issue as you. The clowns at EVOffer assembled their wiring harness incorrectly. When I connected the wire that is labeled ”B+” (with the in-line fuse) to the vehicle’s battery as intended/instructed, the ECU’s LED indicator light would not turn on… which meant it was not receiving power. Sure enough, after reading your post, I switched the ground and battery wires (i.e. connected their wire labeled “ground” to my battery and connected their wire labeled “battery” to my ground), and the ECU powered on and everything began to work properly.

Unfortunately, I decided to install their latest software update (since everything was already disassembled and accessible). And, in doing so, I may have bricked the ECU. I followed EVOffer’s published install procedure for the newer ECU’s (it’s a 2-step procedure to install/flash both the update.yst and config.yx files). During the software update, the ECU responded exactly as described in their written procedure. So, I’m pretty sure I performed/completed the update procedure correctly. However, after the update, the ECU indicator light just stays off, and the hood does not move when I tap on the open/close button on the vehicle’s display screen or the phone app. When I tap on the open/close button, the only thing that happens is the ECU’s indicator light will flash slowly for about 12 seconds and then turns/stays off. So, every time I tap on the open/close button, the indicator light on the ECU will light up and flash for about 12 seconds and then turns/stays off.

It is possible I downloaded and installed the wrong file, but I cannot be sure. I’ve sent a message to EVOffer and waiting for their reply.
Attached is the software update file that I downloaded & installed. And, also attached is the back of the ECU that came with this particular kit. They call this their ”mark 5.2” ECU. Got any ideas?

IMG_0686.png

IMG_7067.jpeg

I also installed the power frunk from EVOffer. I had the same issues with the power cable needing to be swapped and my beeper not working. After some trial and error with setting the closing speed, I actually decided to leave the (not working) beeper unplugged since I kind of like only hearing the mechanical latching and unlatching sounds when I use the frunk. It gives it more of an OEM feel.

Glad I found this thread and read your post. I installed the EVOffer power frunk on my wife’s 2023 Y this afternoon and have the same issue as you. The clowns at EVOffer assembled their wiring harness incorrectly. When I connected the wire that is labeled ”B+” (with the in-line fuse) to the vehicle’s battery as intended/instructed, the ECU’s LED indicator light would not turn on… which meant it was not receiving power. Sure enough, after reading your post, I switched the ground and battery wires (i.e. connected their wire labeled “ground” to my battery and connected their wire labeled “battery” to my ground), and the ECU powered on and everything began to work properly.

Unfortunately, I decided to install their latest software update (since everything was already disassembled and accessible). And, in doing so, I may have bricked the ECU. I followed EVOffer’s published install procedure for the newer ECU’s (it’s a 2-step procedure to install/flash both the update.yst and config.yx files). During the software update, the ECU responded exactly as described in their written procedure. So, I’m pretty sure I performed/completed the update procedure correctly. However, after the update, the ECU indicator light just stays off, and the hood does not move when I tap on the open/close button on the vehicle’s display screen or the phone app. When I tap on the open/close button, the only thing that happens is the ECU’s indicator light will flash slowly for about 12 seconds and then turns/stays off. So, every time I tap on the open/close button, the indicator light on the ECU will light up and flash for about 12 seconds and then turns/stays off.

It is possible I downloaded and installed the wrong file, but I cannot be sure. I’ve sent a message to EVOffer and waiting for their reply.
Attached is the software update file that I downloaded & installed. And, also attached is the back of the ECU that came with this particular kit. They call this their ”mark 5.2” ECU. Got any ideas?
I have a 'mark 5.2' ECU as well. I see that you chose F30247 + configF2027 whereas I chose F30247 + configF2017. I'm not an expert on which is correct, but I chose what I did because I have a Model Y. On the update webpage, the black table seemed to confirm my pick. Perhaps you can retry with that update instead.

I tried updating the firmware using a 64GB SDHC card (smallest that I had on hand) although they recommended 32GB max. I don't think the update succeeded, the light didn't flash as they said it should. Since then, I got a 32GB SDHC card and figured that I'd try again once I got my replacement beeper since I'll need to remove the cover then as well.

They seemed pretty responsive through the Telegram app (even though it seemed to take an eternity when your frunk is torn apart).

Another installation issue that I had was the latch needed to be adjusted a little (maybe 1/4 of an inch) higher than my first attempt. Originally when latched, you could tell the hood being latched too firmly by the way it was being flexed. Also, it would fail to properly latch once every 4 times or so. This adjustment was super easy to do even after I had the frunk all re-installed since I was able to access the latch through the frunk's front panel.

I also installed the power frunk from EVOffer. I had the same issues with the power cable needing to be swapped and my beeper not working. After some trial and error with setting the closing speed, I actually decided to leave the (not working) beeper unplugged since I kind of like only hearing the mechanical latching and unlatching sounds when I use the frunk. It gives it more of an OEM feel.
I was going to try to set the closing speed as well but the light behavior didn't seem to work the same as the videos that I saw. I'm happy with the default speed so I'm not going to mess with it. I asked for them to send a working beeper and will install it to see if I like it or not. I think a working beeper would have helped with my clueless brother-in-law who was trying to manually close my hood :rolleyes:.

Reactions: yerEVan
I have a 'mark 5.2' ECU as well. I see that you chose F30247 + configF2027 whereas I chose F30247 + configF2017. I'm not an expert on which is correct, but I chose what I did because I have a Model Y. On the update webpage, the black table seemed to confirm my pick. Perhaps you can retry with that update instead.

I tried updating the firmware using a 64GB SDHC card (smallest that I had on hand) although they recommended 32GB max. I don't think the update succeeded, the light didn't flash as they said it should. Since then, I got a 32GB SDHC card and figured that I'd try again once I got my replacement beeper since I'll need to remove the cover then as well.

They seemed pretty responsive through the Telegram app (even though it seemed to take an eternity when your frunk is torn apart).

Another installation issue that I had was the latch needed to be adjusted a little (maybe 1/4 of an inch) higher than my first attempt. Originally when latched, you could tell the hood being latched too firmly by the way it was being flexed. Also, it would fail to properly latch once every 4 times or so. This adjustment was super easy to do even after I had the frunk all re-installed since I was able to access the latch through the frunk's front panel.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion…which is spot on. I thought the files I had downloaded/installed were for the Model Y. However, upon closer inspection, I realized I had downloaded/installed the Model 3 variant by mistake. So, once I got the correct files for the Model Y and installed it, the ECU light returned to its normal slow flashing and everything works just fine again. Mini-crisis averted!! 🙃

I had no issues with using my 64GB Samsung pro-endurance micro-SD card to download and install the update files. Since our mark 5.2 ECU is considered a newer generation, it requires a 2-step installation process, as described on EVOffer’s website.

No telegram reply from EVOffer yet. Thankfully, I was able to figure things out on my own. I did ask them to send me a new replacement wiring harness with correctly assembled hot (battery) and ground wires. We’ll see if & how they respond…

Thanks for the reply and suggestion…which is spot on. I thought the files I had downloaded/installed were for the Model Y. However, upon closer inspection, I realized I had downloaded/installed the Model 3 variant by mistake. So, once I got the correct files for the Model Y and installed it, the ECU light returned to its normal slow flashing and everything works just fine again. Mini-crisis averted!! 🙃

I had no issues with using my 64GB Samsung pro-endurance micro-SD card to download and install the update files. Since our mark 5.2 ECU is considered a newer generation, it requires a 2-step installation process, as described on EVOffer’s website.

No telegram reply from EVOffer yet. Thankfully, I was able to figure things out on my own. I did ask them to send me a new replacement wiring harness with correctly assembled hot (battery) and ground wires. We’ll see if & how they respond…
Good luck with your request, I told them that I wasn't happy with the screwy set up but they only said that it will work and didn't offer anything else but a new beeper..

Please let me know if they agree to send the fixed harness, it'll probably take 3+ weeks to come (since that's how long it took to get the opener). At this point, I don't think that I'd tear apart the frunk again but I'd probably also request a fixed harness for ' just in case '.

Good luck with your request, I told them that I wasn't happy with the screwy set up but they only said that it will work and didn't offer anything else but a new beeper..

Please let me know if they agree to send the fixed harness, it'll probably take 3+ weeks to come (since that's how long it took to get the opener). At this point, I don't think that I'd tear apart the frunk again but I'd probably also request a fixed harness for ' just in case '.
Yeah, I’m not really expecting anything other than a middle finger from EVOffer. Of course, the right thing for them to do is send us a correctly assembled wiring harness, since they screwed up that up. Hopefully, the missing in-line fuse between the vehicle battery and their ECU won’t cause any problems for us down the road. I wonder how many of their kits have these incorrectly assembled/manufactured harnesses. Oh well, at least it is installed and working properly… for now.

I installed the Hansshow power Frunk and Trunk kit on my Model 3 about 3-1/2 years ago and both of those have (and continues to) work flawlessly from day 1. Not sure why I decided to go with EVOffer on my wife’s Model Y. Guess I had this perception that EVOffer has a slightly better product and better customer service. However, this is probably not true in many cases.

Will let you know how EVOffer responds to the telegram messages I sent last (Sunday) night.

I got my working beeper yesterday through DHL/USPS - took about 3 weeks to get it after the request through the Telegram app.

I decided to install it along with the update and ran into (self-made) problems immediately. I had originally downloaded F30244 + configF2017 software which was released around Mar. 20 and placed it on a SDHC card. This software kept the hood from latching correctly. Had to use the emergency pull to unlatch the hood multiple times (first time was a little scary, but now I've very comfortable with it :)).

They responded to my Telegram help request around 3:45am this morning with the message that the config file may have not loaded correctly. I reloaded it as well as the original old s/w version and naturally nothing was fixed.

At 10:10am EDT this morning, who I think is Raymond (of YouTube fame :p) contacted and provided real time support through chat. He didn't tell me his name but he sent some audio where he sounded just like Raymond in the youTube video. Anyway, after about 1.5 hours of troubleshooting, he mentioned to re-load F30247 and I noticed that didn't agree with my version.

The moral of the story -- don't download s/w immediately after release and re-check for updated versions before loading.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with the tech support responsiveness and knowledge but not too thrilled with the fact that I needed it to begin with. Pretty unusual to get tech support like this these days, much less in real time all the way from Hong Kong.

Would I buy from EVOffer again? Not sure...if the frunk opener lasts for many years problem-free, yeah most likely. If it fails in 1-2 years, no way.

Yeah, I’m not really expecting anything other than a middle finger from EVOffer. Of course, the right thing for them to do is send us a correctly assembled wiring harness, since they screwed up that up. Hopefully, the missing in-line fuse between the vehicle battery and their ECU won’t cause any problems for us down the road. I wonder how many of their kits have these incorrectly assembled/manufactured harnesses. Oh well, at least it is installed and working properly… for now.

I installed the Hansshow power Frunk and Trunk kit on my Model 3 about 3-1/2 years ago and both of those have (and continues to) work flawlessly from day 1. Not sure why I decided to go with EVOffer on my wife’s Model Y. Guess I had this perception that EVOffer has a slightly better product and better customer service. However, this is probably not true in many cases.

Will let you know how EVOffer responds to the telegram messages I sent last (Sunday) night.
Any word from EVOffer on the harness replacement? When troubleshooting as I was above, it was a bit of a pain to continually loosen the battery nut, remove the connector, replace the connector, and re-tighten. It would have been much easier to just pull apart the connector like they have on the red wire.

Any word from EVOffer on the harness replacement? When troubleshooting as I was above, it was a bit of a pain to continually loosen the battery nut, remove the connector, replace the connector, and re-tighten. It would have been much easier to just pull apart the connector like they have on the red wire.

Hey there. Raymond did finally contact me a couple of days after I initially sent the message. Like you, he also sent me a voice message. Of course, I recognized his voice from having seen a few of his install videos. He said would get back to me with a video that demonstrates how to switch the hot and ground wires into their proper locations at the main connector of the wiring harness. He also said if I am not comfortable making the switch myself after seeing his video, then he would send me a new wiring harness.

Still waiting for Raymond to send me that video, but I think his response/suggestion is reasonable. Of course, I can/will make the wiring switch myself once I receive his video.

I agree it was a pain to keep disconnecting and reconnecting everything during the trouble-shooting. The most unsettling part for me was seeing & hearing a spark at the battery terminal every time I removed the wire that supplies power to their ECU. Since EVOffer got their wires mixed up, you and I had to use their ground (which has no quick disconnect) as the hot/battery wire. The correct/intended battery wire has both the in-line fuse and a quick disconnect that allow us to disconnect the hot wire, without having to loosen the battery nut and pull the connector from the battery… which makes disconnecting power much safer (no risk for sparking since you are not fooling around with the battery nut/terminal).

Will let you know when I receive that video from Raymond and can send it to you, if you’re interested in correcting/switching the ground and hot wires yourself.

Hey there. Raymond did finally contact me a couple of days after I initially sent the message. Like you, he also sent me a voice message. Of course, I recognized his voice from having seen a few of his install videos. He said would get back to me with a video that demonstrates how to switch the hot and ground wires into their proper locations at the main connector of the wiring harness. He also said if I am not comfortable making the switch myself after seeing his video, then he would send me a new wiring harness.

Still waiting for Raymond to send me that video, but I think his response/suggestion is reasonable. Of course, I can/will make the wiring switch myself once I receive his video.

I agree it was a pain to keep disconnecting and reconnecting everything during the trouble-shooting. The most unsettling part for me was seeing & hearing a spark at the battery terminal every time I removed the wire that supplies power to their ECU. Since EVOffer got their wires mixed up, you and I had to use their ground (which has no quick disconnect) as the hot/battery wire. The correct/intended battery wire has both the in-line fuse and a quick disconnect that allow us to disconnect the hot wire, without having to loosen the battery nut and pull the connector from the battery… which makes disconnecting power much safer (no risk for sparking since you are not fooling around with the battery nut/terminal).

Will let you know when I receive that video from Raymond and can send it to you, if you’re interested in correcting/switching the ground and hot wires yourself.
Yes, definitely interested. Thanks.

Yes, definitely interested. Thanks.
I received the videos from Raymond last night, shortly after my above post. The wire removal & swap procedure on the main connector looks pretty easy. Unfortunately, the videos are in a format that is incompatible with this TMC forum/website. So, I cannot attach/upload these two short videos. I’m trying to figure out another way of getting these videos uploaded…

I received the videos from Raymond last night, shortly after my above post. The wire removal & swap procedure on the main connector looks pretty easy. Unfortunately, the videos are in a format that is incompatible with this TMC forum/website. So, I cannot attach/upload these two short videos. I’m trying to figure out another way of getting these videos uploaded…
I would upload to YouTube and share from there.

Yeah, I was trying to see if I could change the format of the videos so they can be recognized by this TMC site. However, I couldn’t figure out a way to change the format. So, I ended up uploading them to YouTube. See attached.

Very helpful. Now, I'm asking myself, do I really want to tear out the frunk again to do this? My OCD is kind of saying 'yes' :rolleyes: Wished I saw this yesterday when the frunk was already torn out.

Very helpful. Now, I'm asking myself, do I really want to tear out the frunk again to do this? My OCD is kind of saying 'yes' :rolleyes: Wished I saw this yesterday when the frunk was already torn out.
Well, I went ahead and tried to make the change, but failed. Raymond made it look a lot easier than I found. I tried using 2 different thin tools that I have with no success. So I still have the funky power connections.

On the bright side, I'm pretty proficient at frunk/Hepa filter removal/re-installation. Also feel pretty competent at frunk opener installation, maybe I should go into the frunk opener installation business :p

Well, I went ahead and tried to make the change, but failed. Raymond made it look a lot easier than I found. I tried using 2 different thin tools that I have with no success. So I still have the funky power connections.

On the bright side, I'm pretty proficient at frunk/Hepa filter removal/re-installation. Also feel pretty competent at frunk opener installation, maybe I should go into the frunk opener installation business :p
I’m going to disassemble the frunk and attempt to make the wire swap tonight. I’m sure the harness that Raymond used/showed in his video has been pried open several dozen times before. So, everything just easily popped out. For us, it’s always a different story with previously untouched connectors/terminals.

I like to consider myself pretty good at auto body work. I installed MPP comfort coilovers myself and also added the Hansshow powered frunk & trunk kits on my M3P. I thought all those installs were pretty easy… just time consuming. However, for some reason, this EVOffer power frunk install on my wife’s MYP was a bit (OK, a lot) more challenging. I had an especially difficult time getting the top part of EVOffer’s struts to lock onto the mating ball joints.