Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Comparison: Tesla Model 3 Versus Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
The Model 3 and Bolt are both long-range EVs, but that’s where the similarities end. The Tesla Model 3 and Chevy Bolt are the two leading compact electric vehicles that deliver more than 200 miles of range on a single charge. The Model 3 and Bolt are also, in theory, the first two battery-powered cars...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/10/25/ev-comparison-tesla-model-3-versus-chevy-bolt/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

TLDR:
How Far Can You Go on Electricity? - WINNER: TESLA MODEL 3

Which Car Is More Fun To Drive? - WINNER: TESLA MODEL 3

Charging Times for The Model 3 and Bolt - WINNER: TESLA MODEL 3

Comparing Dashboards and Cargo Space - WINNER: CHEVY BOLT

BEST OVERALL: TESLA MODEL 3

BEST VALUE AND AVAILABILITY: CHEVY BOLT

BEST TO IMPRESS: TESLA MODEL 3

BEST FOR A FIRST-TIME EV OWNER: BOTH

Of course it wins....but not everyone can afford a Tesla.
Today. Really this whole comparing right now doesn't make any sense. It's right in the opening line; "....but that’s where the similarities end."

However come Q2 2019 there's not going to be much space between prices. Very little on sticker price (GM dealers will need to discount to even it out, which is very likely), and if "afford" is an issue it becomes extremely unlikely there is an any difference in Fed Tax Credit (you need $3750 in Fed Tax liability for it to start mattering in Q2). There might be some effective price difference in Q3-Q4 and the start of 2020 but GM is going to start running out of Tax Credit somewhere in the meantime.

Unless you really want a tall riding, compact hatchback format it won't be close.

Last edited:
Today. Really this whole comparing right now doesn't make any sense. It's right in the opening line; "....but that’s where the similarities end."

However come Q2 2019 there's not going to be much space between price. Very little on sticker price (GM dealers will need to discount to even it out, which is very likely) and if "afford" is an issue extremely unlikely there is an any difference in Fed Tax Credit (you need $3750 in Fed Tax liability for it to start mattering).

Unless you really want a tall riding, compact hatchback format it won't be close.
Yep...looking forward to the 35k("before savings") Model 3.

True. Unless someone need to buy the car urgent, why don't people wait a little longer for Model 3 instead of plunging into Bolt?

Price difference is about $9,000. It is not small difference but definitely with wise financial plan, people can get Model 3 if they can get Bolt.
Or..they could buy a Leaf or one of the Korean EVs...AND...get full tax credit. Bottomline pricing is pretty compelling for most folks.

Guys, I own a MS and a bolt. I meter all power to each EVSE in my garage. The bolt gets 113mpg when compared to the price of gas on battery /usage/. The MS gets 95mpg. Here’s the rub.... the Bolt’s on board charger has a terrible power factor... like 0.73. So despite the Bolt getting better MPGe, the charger blows it to 85mpg. How’s that for honesty?
Here’s another point.... the Bolt uses DCFC which is typically biled by the minute rather than consumption. So due to cost of DCFC, on a recent 520 mile trip my cost was the equivalent of 20MPGe as compared to the price of gas. At least the M3 charges for supercharging by kWh used and not time. BTW, that was 25c/minute on chargepoint . Electricfy America and some other stations charge 35c/minute in my region.

I do enjoy my Bolt.... I work at a place that I wear home many days. I couldn’t bear to come home as nasty as I do some days in anything as nice as a Tesla, so i have a bolt me for and a model S for the wife.

Yep...looking forward to the 35k("before savings") Model 3.
I will give the Bolt EV credit where it's due, though. I'm looking at local resale prices and over the last year and nearly 30,000 miles, after accounting for the Fed Tax Credit and TX TERP rebate (total of $10K), I'm only down a portion of the %6 sales tax....and estimate I've reduced our fuel bills over the last 10 months by about that much. It's been a clear winner in that sense. The rub of course is always getting out with only that much depreciation, and I don't think the wife is ready to trade it yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Catman20009
Here’s the rub.... the Bolt’s on board charger has a terrible power factor... like 0.73.
This is very surprising. There's a controlled study that ran this with a few test subject Bolts and it did well. Between about 85%-87% efficiency wall-to-battery, depending on ambient temps. It is important to try charge in 70F ambient. They ran it at 50F and it dropped a little but when they took ambient up to 80F is when in really started dropping off. It is surmised that the required running of the HVAC is a large portion of this loss.

You aren't charging with 120V? I wouldn't expect it if you also have an Model S, but maybe? Using 120V is known to be very poor efficiency.

IMPORTANT: MPGe includes the wall-to-battery losses! So that's supposed to be already factored in.

I will give the Bolt EV credit where it's due, though. I'm looking at local resale prices and over the last year and nearly 30,000 miles, after accounting for the Fed Tax Credit and TX TERP rebate (total of $10K), I'm only down a portion of the %6 sales tax....and estimate I've reduced our fuel bills over the last 10 months by about that much. It's been a clear winner in that sense. The rub of course is always getting out with only that much depreciation, and I don't think the wife is ready to trade it yet.
After fed credit...my 44K'ish(MSRP) Bolt Premiere was a little over 30k (Chevy gave me a very compelling deal). When the 35k("before savings") Model 3 comes out....Chevy is definitely gonna have to discount....so even more compelling deals on the Bolts to come.

• Helpful
Reactions: Catman20009
It's interesting. I was just about to update a spreadsheet when this popped up. Deciding whether to go ahead and spend about $24k now on a Bolt with the full federal deduction or wait another year for the $36 version of the M3 (after delivery and without a deduction). The M3 wins every category but price. I'm not day-1 so it's really difficult to know if I would even be able to take delivery in 2019.

Reactions: KG M3
It's interesting. I was just about to update a spreadsheet when this popped up. Deciding whether to go ahead and spend about $24k now on a Bolt with the full federal deduction or wait another year for the $36 version of the M3 (after delivery and without a deduction). The M3 wins every category but price. I'm not day-1 so it's really difficult to know if I would even be able to take delivery in 2019.

I think the $35k version won’t be available until the 2nd half of 2019 so it would be close for you. If you’re willing to do SR+PUP I think you could get it first half of the year.