Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Essential upgrades - all year car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally id like ceramic bearings to improve the efficiency of the car. Id also like to be able to adjust the camber (with shims) like you can on an actual lotus. You are unable to do this on the roadster as this part was changed for some reason. Id like to know what the tyres were that tesla were going to recommend for the 3.0 upgrade but didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

I also recommend replacing the 12V battery on the car for the one i have here. Its been working excellent since i swapped it. 12v battery service required, can it be replaced with lithium? | Page 2 | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums

Can't you get a convex stick-on mirror at any auto parts store? What makes this one worth $154?

Its a HUGE difference and its with safety and having full visibility with objects that surround your car. I went with the BOE full mirror replacement which has sorta a similar lens and must say this is a major improvement and I'd put a good set of mirrors/glass up there as a necessary replacement. I ran a few different convex lenses and experimenting with them. Although I had better results than just the stock mirror, in no-way does it come close to a full convex mirror or one that's designed in a clean one piece way where the convex is at the end. But that's what you get with a $5 add on vs. $154 or $300 with mine. My BOE's are full convex which I really like, both mirrors have identical lenses so no mix up of depth of perception. The ExtendedView mirrors have the ends of the mirror which are convex. I've never ran these, but its definitely a cleaner and offers a smooth transition with your field of view. People who run them, as long as their eyes can adjust to them can attest to their added improvement. Also the blue anti-glare tint is a must, I have that on my BOE mirrors and it makes night driving that much easier on the eyes at night when people are following behind you.

Another nice feature of the BOE is that I have allot less wind noise (which is drag) coming from the mirror stalks and mirrors themselves. Makes driving with the windows down / top off even more enjoyable and helps cut down some on the cabin noise.

Lastly if you are installing the ExtendView mirrors, note that the original lens can be popped out. So in theory you should be able to preserve your stock lens and mount the new one in. Note you may need to purchase another mirror backing. It would have a cleaner stock look since ExtendView tells you to piggyback the lenses with double-sided tape. With that tape if you ever do remove the mirror, one ends up breaking or scratching them in the process. Also when piggybacking the mirror grows outward and to me does not look as clean. But that's just me.

- - - Updated - - -

Id also like to be able to adjust the camber (with shims) like you can on an actual lotus. You are unable to do this on the roadster as this part was changed for some reason.

That's WRONG. Nothing has changed between the Elise and the Roadster with camber and ability to adjust it. The Roadster uses the same exact shims and the same parts as the Elise. But you really have to know what your doing and the physics behind all the adjustments or else you're setting yourself up for a tail-spin. Hence why Lotus & Tesla went with the very conservative camber setting up front.

Last edited:
Personally id like ceramic bearings to improve the efficiency of the car. Id also like to be able to adjust the camber (with shims) like you can on an actual lotus. You are unable to do this on the roadster as this part was changed for some reason. Id like to know what the tyres were that tesla were going to recommend for the 3.0 upgrade but didn't.
I'd say you got some bad advice about the shims. I have the adjustable suspension and use shims to adjust the camber and I'm reasonably certain you can do the same thing on the standard suspension. I got my shims from Tesla but they are the same as the Lotus Elise.

I also recommend replacing the 12V battery on the car for the one i have here. Its been working excellent since i swapped it. 12v battery service required, can it be replaced with lithium? | Page 2 | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
I worry about using a lithium battery in my climate. It can go months below freezing so the battery would have to heat itself in order to recharge. Any benefit from weight savings would be given up in heat losses.

I'd say you got some bad advice about the shims. I have the adjustable suspension and use shims to adjust the camber and I'm reasonably certain you can do the same thing on the standard suspension. I got my shims from Tesla but they are the same as the Lotus Elise.

My 1.5 came stock with the non-adj. suspension, took them off and threw on the Nitrons. I also have made many adjustment with the front/rear shims of the Roadster and can say there's NO difference. I also upgraded my steering arms to the S111 V2 steering arms for the Lotus Elise and bought the V2 shims which are aftermarket shims that are stamped with their thickness and can be removed without pulling of the arms and such. Again there's no difference whatsoever between them, adjustable and non-adjustable, or anything else. I also threw in a quick ratio steering rack made for the Lotus Elise to show you that there're many similarities that exist across the steering/suspension as well as interior parts.

The rear tie-rod ends however are indeed different, and the ones Tesla put on the Roadster by far surpass the Lotus ones in quality. There're other little differences but really there's not that much between the two cars in the areas I mentioned above.

Last edited:
At one time in the past Tesla offered a number of interior upgrades with one being a extra soundproofing package which included a Dynamat equivalent and weather stripping on the bottom of the doors. Our Roadster was down at the SC for it’s annual and we asked about it. We expressed interest in the weather stripping but not the Dynamat. When the car got back to us the weather stripping was on the bottom of the doors.

I believe there was someone on this forum doing something like the under door weather stripping on their own.

I can post a couple of photos later.

Here's some photos of the under door weather stripping

IMG_1171.jpg
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg

So in conclusion, what I should be looking for is:
Xenon headlights - 2600 $ (Tesla)
Hardtop - 5000 $ (Tesla)
Winter tire set - 4400 $ (Tesla, forged rims)
HPWC and NEMA 14-50 adapter - 2000 $ (Tesla)
Brake upgrade - 300 $ (Carbotech AX6)
Paint armor - 3000 $ (3M)
Aftermarket soundproofing - 2000 $ (Dynamat)

Headlights. I agree. The stock ones are dangerous. There are long threads here comparing stock halogens to the aftermarket bulbs and the TMC xenon ones.

Paint armor, definitely. Cover as much of the car as possible. Worth every penny.

Soundproofing , definitelty. My 2.5 has the OEM "noise reduction". The car is very loud on the highway, but I don't have a hardtop.

Mirrors. This car has a horrible problem with blind spots. I sit with the seat all the way back. From that position, I have to lean forward to check over my shoulder before changing lanes. Personally, I have a set of adjustable convex mirrors that fit perfectly along the contour of the outside edge of the mirror. I think the ExtendView Mirrors at $154 are way over priced. I think these:

Zoom engineering Rakuten Ichiba Shop | Rakuten Global Market: Extra blue wide mirror _ez334

are per mirror, but not sure. I just ordered a CF rear view mirror from them. Way less than the ones from sector111. Some people complain about it obstructing outward vision especially up and to the right. I may be making a auto dimming mirror from mine. I would also like to try adding map lights. The interior lighting is feeble. I'll post if I can pull it off.

Heater. Mine is horrible. Others have had no problems. You'll have to wait to see.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some photos of the under door weather stripping

What type of fasteners are those? They look like screws, but sometimes they use plastic plugs that look like that. How well does it work? Is the material shaped like an "L" or a 7? Does it keep the gravel from getting in behind the front fender?

- - - Updated - - -

My BOE's are full convex which I really like, both mirrors have identical lenses so no mix....

What's BOE? British Original Equiptment? Pictures?

What type of fasteners are those? They look like screws, but sometimes they use plastic plugs that look like that. How well does it work? Is the material shaped like an "L" or a 7? Does it keep the gravel from getting in behind the front fender?

They are screws with plastic washers. The stripping works very well keeping any water, mud, and gravel from getting on the inner sill. It is shaped like a "7"