Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought long and hard about what message to best convince a thief that it wasn't even worth trying.

"Hiding" the valuables doesn't make any sense with my dark tint that hides everything anyway. Not storing anything in my trunk doesn't make sense, seeing as how I need to actually use my car. Not parking the car in the Bay Area makes less sense than not taking stuff with me. Figuring out how to lock the rear seats doesn't keep anybody from braking the glass to first try. Coating that rear small window to make it unbreakable probably just means they hit the bigger window (My first plan was to laser-cut a stainless plate to put over those windows that nobody looks out of anyway. So... I thought I'd tell a white lie.

It isn't a full lie, because my dog is usually with me. She's black, sitting on a black dog mat in the black interior of my tinted car. And she's totally quiet... until upset or aroused. It is a "white lie" though because she'll terrify you... but hasn't bitten anybody... yet. "Dog May Bite" just didn't have the right ring to it, so I went with this.

What do I have to lose? I mean besides the cost of the vinyl, the cost of the vinyl cutter, and the time it took me to learn how to use everything? It IS curved... just maybe not quite enough for the OCD in me. I get great comments on it!

181128.011.JPG

I'm in Oakland, moving to San Jose in the spring. I'm well aware of this problem in the Bay Area, but it is upsetting to read Tesla vehicles are actually targeted. I always thought it was completely random and/or chimes of opportunity. I am hyper sensitive to this issue and never leave anything of value in our vehicles and [knock wood] thus far we've been okay. However, this is from owning 3 Prius models in row (trunk is easily viewed through rear window - I never used the trunk cover thing) and a few SUVs - same easy view to trunk contents, or lack thereof.

Having not owned a sedan in the Bay Area, and now being on day 3 of Model 3 ownership, it makes me nervous that I'll be targeted by way of simply having this brand of vehicle, regardless of my trunk being empty.

Having lived in the Bay area for a long time, we've had break-ins in San Francisco -3 (for some CDs one time ), Los Gatos -1, Sunnyvale -2 and San Jose -1. All to a Honda Civic and accord coupes. Never anything lying about .They try to pry the stereo . Took a jacket in the trunk once. People who need the dough will hit anything . Many continue to go through hard times in the Bay area and some cars are easier than others, but even with alarms, my accord got broken into . It's just tough luck .Garage the puppy as much as you can

According to the guys that replaced my windows, Tesla does not have a good inventory on these. Most of the inventory is going to new cars.

The replacement company gets about 100 per week shipped to them, and it's not enough. This is JUST in the Bay Area. 100 a week!

The replacement company says about 98% of their window replacements are now just Tesla 3's and S's. Maybe they are part of some mafia scam....

Very sad commentary, but not unexpected. San Francisco alone has over 80 car break-ins every day... :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Going to work with a Mech Eng for plate cover design for the 2 levers.
Your valuables in the trunk may be safe but the window would still get broken. The thief may also cause more damage to the car out of spite...

I think it's clear that Tesla needs to be the ones to implement the fix like having the seat release accessible only from within the trunk or having a lock state corresponding to the door locks.

Maybe you folks in Bay area are going to have to get organized and circle your wagons. I mean use social media to keep in touch and hark in a huddle, taking turns with one serving as guardian and watch all the cars there. Some similar to this: I'm going to the movie at 12:00, someone come guard mine and I'll be done at 2, to watch yours. I'll be the Tesla owner with the baseball bat.

Of course I am joking and not joking.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Has anyone used security film for their car windows? I know it slows down the would-be thief and he or she may go away after a few tries. Just like in that video posted earlier in this thread, the thief tried a different window when he couldn't break the first.

Has anyone used security film for their car windows? I know it slows down the would-be thief and he or she may go away after a few tries. Just like in that video posted earlier in this thread, the thief tried a different window when he couldn't break the first.

That's not a bad idea but I'm skeptical of how much it would slow them down on the small rear glass. I think if it was harder to break the glass it would just result in them beating the snot out of the car in the process of breaking in which they'd still eventually do. So then instead of just getting the glass replaced you get to have the car repaired.

People have videotaped these drug addicts breaking into cars and the thieves have zero fear of what anyone might do to them (they know that in CA the law abiding citizen will be prosecuted if they try to stop a criminal). Cops view this as a very low priority unless someone is being harmed and even then they would typically show up AFTER the crime has been committed.

I'm convinced as others are that the problem is San Francisco area's almost complete lack of drug law enforcement coupled with them refusing to prosecute with harsh penalties those who are doing these crimes. You could probably get away with doing one or the other (lack of enforcement of drug laws OR no willingness to prosecute for minor property crimes) but doing both is a double whammy.

Reactions: devilmountain
What about placing valuables in the lower well area of the trunk (the area below the removable shelf)? At first glance, it'd keep valuables out of view, even with the seats folded forward. I've also thought about adding a hinge mechanism to this shelf lid such that when opened, it pivots up towards the front of the car, blocking access from the passenger compartment.

If thieves know that you can fold the carseat by breaking the small window,
I hope newer versions of tesla cars change the location of the seat latch
I put some car seats cover, so the handle is still working, but not visible or noticeable by someone passing by.

When parking in a city, downtown or near a particular tourist attraction or landmark, best is to use public parking,
some provide reservation, there are a lot of apps to do so, or park few blocks away in a more cozy residential area.

I still think the best way would be for Tesla to put the release handles inside the trunk. Of course the a##holes could still break in, but it'd be far less "convenient". They use the window smashing method because it's so easy and quick.

Also, I'd encourage people in the Bay Area to consider lowering their Comprehensive insurance deductibles. In my case lowering the deductible from $500 to $50 was less than $20 more per 6 months. And if the insurance companies lose enough money, perhaps they'll even pay - ahem - "lobby" some politicians to do something.

• Love
Reactions: run-the-joules
I still think the best way would be for Tesla to put the release handles inside the trunk. Of course the a##holes could still break in, but it'd be far less "convenient". They use the window smashing method because it's so easy and quick.

Also, I'd encourage people in the Bay Area to consider lowering their Comprehensive insurance deductibles. In my case lowering the deductible from $500 to $50 was less than $20 more per 6 months. And if the insurance companies lose enough money, perhaps they'll even pay - ahem - "lobby" some politicians to do something.

I'll be damned, you're right. Just changed both cars to $50. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: devilmountain

Or insurance rates will just go up and glass coverage will disappear from what they offer. Owner is still going to get stuck with the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.