Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I said I was excited for all the videos to be uploaded of mishaps, and so far I've got to say I am not disappointed. This stroke of genius showed up too. Roddie Hasan - راضي on Twitter

Pro tip: If you see a vehicle coming, stop your car. Don't keep holding the button and hoping everything will be alright. :rolleyes:
The Model 3 stopped before entering the lane though. I'm impressed! Gave the other car quite a scare though.
This shows one of the reasons why the self-driving car problem is so hard. Humans have expectations about how other drivers will behave. There's probably no explicit rule saying that the Acura has the right of way but we all know there's an unwritten rule that it does.

The Model 3 stopped before entering the lane though.

The owner took their finger off the screen. In DirtyTesla's test videos he effectively walks right up to and nearly in front of a summoning Model 3 and it doesn't react until it would have already run him over completely. It's as though the forward facing camera used for Sentry is being used, and it doesn't see most of the front of the car, and absolutely nothing at an angle to the front of the car.

The Model 3 stopped before entering the lane though. I'm impressed!

Guy said he wasn’t sure whether the car stopped or whether he stopped the car.

Also, remember there is apparently a bit of delay on release of the button - someone here claimed today the car would travel 10 feet after release of the button. So it is hard to tell.

Practice is necessary before use, to understand the limitations of the toy.

DirtyTesla's test videos he effectively walks right up to and nearly in front of a summoning Model 3 and it doesn't react until it would have already run him over completely. It's as though the forward facing camera used for Sentry is being used, and it doesn't see most of the front of the car, and absolutely nothing at an angle to the front of the car.

Well cr*p. With the official release of v10? Had not seen those videos yet. There is fortunately no way this will go wrong though, because people are going to always have a clear line of sight to their vehicles when using Summon. :rolleyes:

I had seen early videos which made it look pretty cautious, though you are right that it could be a function of which cameras are being used and the field of view.

Sounds comforting.

I tested the feature in a mostly empty area of a parking lot when I got my update. After that I knew there was absolutely no way I could use it in a busy lot, or rely on it in a full lot. I'm enjoying the conversation this is starting, though.

I’m guessing the test was more confirming for you than it was necessary.

No surprises thus far with Summon, really.

Maybe I will get it this weekend. Probably not with lowly EAP though. Sometimes I get updates right away...sometimes they are delayed... mostly just looking forward to the other V10 stuff.

I luv this update yes Summons is not perfect if your looking for near perfect you will be waiting a couple of years has autopilot improve from the initial release Yes. As will summons, know what your car is able to do and not do at your own risk. We dont need an increase of knuckle heads crashing there car and in turn increase our insurance rates.

Well I said I was excited for all the videos to be uploaded of mishaps, and so far I've got to say I am not disappointed. This stroke of genius showed up too. Roddie Hasan - راضي on Twitter

Pro tip: If you see a vehicle coming, stop your car. Don't keep holding the button and hoping everything will be alright. :rolleyes:
That first high pitch noise they made right before “almost” impact, is hilarious.

Is this confirmed? I saw a tweet about regular AP but not EAP. Also at least a few people with EAP have claimed to have received it.

I don’t think it’s confirmed, but inferred that EAP is being grouped with all “non-FSD.” Maybe it will be an intermediate step in the rollout. I think wide release is supposed to be next week assuming no issues.

Looks like the first reported collision in Summon mode:

David F Guajardo on Twitter

Also look at the dashcam video one post down. The other driver is at fault, but I wonder how the insurance will see this?

Exact same thing happened to my wife 5 years ago. Interesting if Tesla could implement a really quick avoidance structure...floor it to get past? honk? back up? I'm sure it saw it coming as is evidenced by the Tesla stopping. It's pretty hard to avoid someone just straight up not looking and backing into you.

The Tesla was in the first parking lane, so, vehicles entering the lot may be flying along. That's not an ideal location to use EnhSummon from. Further, you should expect to stop when going from the parking area, thru the distribution lane. That owner was asking for trouble

over and under on how long until SS gets nerfed?
How would they nerf it?
I wonder how long the delay really is when you let go of the button? I don't have v10 yet. The ping time on my phone using the cellular network is 29ms which seems like it should be plenty fast. It seems like they should make the car honk the horn when you release the button to cancel summon, that might have prevented the accident above.

How would they nerf it?
I wonder how long the delay really is when you let go of the button? I don't have v10 yet. The ping time on my phone using the cellular network is 29ms which seems like it should be plenty fast. It seems like they should make the car honk the horn when you release the button to cancel summon, that might have prevented the accident above.
It’s nearly immediate. Mine headed for a median/light pole when I was testing it in a parking lot and it stopped very quickly.

Reactions: Daniel in SD