Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engine/AC noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since few weeks, I observe two kind of noise on my model Y (3262 miles)
  1. high pitch noise when accelerating between 40mph and 60mph. The sound is not significant but noticeable, especially if not playing music
  2. after driving some time or when sometimes it is hot, a loud (and more low-pitch) noise, really audible even with music playing. It fades after few minutes (about 3 to 5 minutes)

Any idea if these sounds are normal? Do you have the same? I am going in a Service Center in two days, wondering if I should ask them to check it.

Thanks!

1. Sounds like normal drive unit whining.

2. Sounds like Heat Pump/AC unit working.

Tesla will retrofit with Acoustic Blanket free of charge if yours came without the blanket. Should cut down the noise. If you, already, do have the blanket - it will still have noticeable sound as you described especially when the AC unit is trying to cool to set temp.

And these sounds (drive unit whining) are present too, BTW, when you are navigating closer to a Supercharger Station..as I was wondering about yesterday when somehow I was navigating towards a SC vs my work location.

Last edited:
For the AC/heat pump, it seems more prevalent since the last two weeks. Yesterday, it kicked in even if the temperature wasn't that hot. Is that normal for the AC/heat pump to kick in periodically?

Note: I have my AC off all the time.

For the AC/heat pump, it seems more prevalent since the last two weeks. Yesterday, it kicked in even if the temperature wasn't that hot. Is that normal for the AC/heat pump to kick in periodically?

Note: I have my AC off all the time.

If the outside temp is relatively high, maybe 90s or higher - the Heat Pump/AC will turn on to cool the battery. How was the weather where u r at last few weeks?

It is kicking in and not only when it is hot. For example, it started yesterday after driving for 20 minutes and the temperature was around 60F/15C.

It maybe normal function since the Heat Pump heat or cools the cabin/battery in a given situation.

What is your average Wh/mi? Should be around 270- 310s - unless your Heat Pump is working harder than the norm, or you are flooring the accelerator more than usual.