Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ended: $2K Off Instead Of $1K From Current VA & OH Owners, Confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hah, well when you are spending over $100K on an "optioned" car, every discount helps. It's actually one of the reasons I bought the car. I've never paid MSRP for a car and never will. The $2K off satisfied my requirement. Now I can use the extra money to help with an aftermarket set of wheels. Don't particularly like the stock options. The stock wheel "upgrades" are obviously large profit items.

Hopefully next referral round, other besides OH and VA residents can get in on the action.

An easy option for Tesla would be to give those in other states two codes to use - 2K savings to buyer or 1+1 like we had. That way those in other states can choose and complaints will be limited.

An easy option for Tesla would be to give those in other states two codes to use - 2K savings to buyer or 1+1 like we had. That way those in other states can choose and complaints will be limited.

Just so give a more full picture .... Va. & Ohio referers do not get the $1,000.00 split .... the entire $2,000.00 goes the the buyer. That means referrers in other states that get say 4 referes ... they get $4,000.00 worth of Tesla stuff or services ..... Va. & Ohio get nada ..... if another state gets say 5 referals they get $5,000.00 worth of Tesla stuff or services, an invite to the Gigafactory and a power wall .... Va. or Ohio just get the invite and power wall not the $5,000.00 or more all the way up to 10 referals. If other states get 10 referals they have $10,000.00 in services or stuff and a chance to buy a Founders Model X plus the power wall and invite .... again Va. and Ohio get the items but not the $10,000.00. Most of us I think mainly pushed to get 5 to get the invite which is really nice ..... some of us that got to 10 now have the option to buy the Model X discounted, but if we don't take that option we get nothing else ...if another state doesn't buy the Model X they still have the $10,000.00 plus other stuff. I think I would speak for most of us we had rather have gotten the $ credits like everyone else, but our states are rather backward in this area .... at any rate thank you for those who helped us get to our 5 and 10, it was fun helping others make decisions on our great cars.... to those who got both "great" it was all about helping Tesla get more sales and expanding our numbers and help make sure Tesla is around a long time anyway. Now I have to decide if I need 2 Tesla's .... :)

Just so give a more full picture .... Va. & Ohio referers do not get the $1,000.00 split .... the entire $2,000.00 goes the the buyer. That means referrers in other states that get say 4 referes ... they get $4,000.00 worth of Tesla stuff or services ..... Va. & Ohio get nada ..... if another state gets say 5 referals they get $5,000.00 worth of Tesla stuff or services, an invite to the Gigafactory and a power wall .... Va. or Ohio just get the invite and power wall not the $5,000.00 or more all the way up to 10 referals. If other states get 10 referals they have $10,000.00 in services or stuff and a chance to buy a Founders Model X plus the power wall and invite .... again Va. and Ohio get the items but not the $10,000.00. Most of us I think mainly pushed to get 5 to get the invite which is really nice ..... some of us that got to 10 now have the option to buy the Model X discounted, but if we don't take that option we get nothing else ...if another state doesn't buy the Model X they still have the $10,000.00 plus other stuff. I think I would speak for most of us we had rather have gotten the $ credits like everyone else, but our states are rather backward in this area .... at any rate thank you for those who helped us get to our 5 and 10, it was fun helping others make decisions on our great cars.... to those who got both "great" it was all about helping Tesla get more sales and expanding our numbers and help make sure Tesla is around a long time anyway. Now I have to decide if I need 2 Tesla's .... :)
Good points, I understand that OH and VA people get no $1K credits. Mine was simply that Tesla could have given everyone else in the other 48 states the option of splitting the $2K pot so that buyer and referrer each get $1K or allocating all of the $2K to the buyer. Then it's sort of a roll of the dice for the referrer. Some people would choose the option of (likely) fewer referrals but a few $K in the Tesla account, others might be more willing to give up the few $K to try and get to 5 (where you get a Powerwall worth several $K and a GigaParty invite) or 10 (where you get about $30K in extras for a Model X). Really probably would have depended on whether someone was going to get a Model X and was a sort of confident in potential sales, then taking the easiest path to 10 referrals would be the likely choice, which would be giving $2K to the buyer.

Some people in the other 48 knocked it out of the park and got past 10 so they got credit in their Tesla account, PowerWall, GigaParty invite AND $30K off a Founder's X! Rock and Roll!

I hope Tesla can do some polling to find out how many people would have bought anyways vs. how many jumped in because of the programs. My guess is it generated a couple thousand extra reservations and when you combine it with the generally raving reviews of AutoPilot, you get a knockout quarter for orders and hopefully deliveries.

There were a number of people offering to give buyers an additional 1k (or more) from other states.

But that gets kinda hairy when you're dealing with people that you only know by an internet handle and there are no assurances of not getting stiffed on the $1k kick-back. Now the chances of that are pretty low I'd assume in this community, but if Tesla were to provide that as an official option, it would have made a big difference to the other 48 states for referrers that would have liked to offer that option.

But that gets kinda hairy when you're dealing with people that you only know by an internet handle and there are no assurances of not getting stiffed on the $1k kick-back. Now the chances of that are pretty low I'd assume in this community, but if Tesla were to provide that as an official option, it would have made a big difference to the other 48 states for referrers that would have liked to offer that option.

That's fair.

Good points, I understand that OH and VA people get no $1K credits. Mine was simply that Tesla could have given everyone else in the other 48 states the option of splitting the $2K pot so that buyer and referrer each get $1K or allocating all of the $2K to the buyer. Then it's sort of a roll of the dice for the referrer. Some people would choose the option of (likely) fewer referrals but a few $K in the Tesla account, others might be more willing to give up the few $K to try and get to 5 (where you get a Powerwall worth several $K and a GigaParty invite) or 10 (where you get about $30K in extras for a Model X). Really probably would have depended on whether someone was going to get a Model X and was a sort of confident in potential sales, then taking the easiest path to 10 referrals would be the likely choice, which would be giving $2K to the buyer.

Some people in the other 48 knocked it out of the park and got past 10 so they got credit in their Tesla account, PowerWall, GigaParty invite AND $30K off a Founder's X! Rock and Roll!

I hope Tesla can do some polling to find out how many people would have bought anyways vs. how many jumped in because of the programs. My guess is it generated a couple thousand extra reservations and when you combine it with the generally raving reviews of AutoPilot, you get a knockout quarter for orders and hopefully deliveries.

Really meant to post this as a general Quick post to the thread not under your comments .... sorry :) As usual there are many perspectives on issues and the ones posted here are thoughtful and revelant to the issues. Virginia deciding to categorize people in the program as "bird dogging" is unfortunate, and I'm sure Tesla didn't see it coming, and responded quickly with the intent of just distributing the entire 2k as the full benefit. I think your idea has merit as well as others some have posted ... :) I posted what i did because here and other threads some, not all, were seeing this as a one way benefit to Va.& Ohio .... my experience with these buyers was they were on the fence ... and as the clocked ticked down that wanted to take advantage of the discount .... hey 2k is 2k ...... :) Yes I also hope this generates a huge quarter and yearly result for Tesla ... the stock is taking a bit of a beating right now ....

Hey all! Am sitting on a plane flying cross-country, and can't sleep because of an unruly child. So why not pop over here, with a few hour to go to this program!
Happy to see a bunch of you made to gigatour just today. That is awesome! This community rocks big time.

I am still sitting at 0, partly because I live in CA, and mainly because I decided to focus on helping others.
As you may know, I used a friend and colleague's referral code from VA. He is a day one type of guy, and he got a Model S in 2012. When my order went through, and confirmed that the 2000$ referral rebate worked anywhere in the US, I got to work: I figured the least I could do to pay him back is get to him to 5 and a gigatour invite. Right?
So I engaged with the fine folks around here, and via pm and email, walked folks throughout the ordering process, picking options, and more importantly, convincing their local DS that, yes, the full 2000$ should be applied to their order. I provided an anonymized copy of my lease agreement, and my friend's email from Elon about the program change.
Just yesterday, we proved that this also works across the border into Canada. Which arguably opens up the whole world! And that made it 5 for him.

My buddy and I work for a company that is located in the Bay Area. And now it seems this karma is paying back: I will be his gigabuddy for the gigatour! Work will get him in the area, and then we are getting into my red Energon (working title) and road-tripping to Reno! Gigaparty, here we come!
(My wife will be massively jealous though. If someone's +1 bails, you know who to pm!)

Thanks bud. Me and my buddy used his code. Happy to see you two will get something out of it.

Well, here we go again! Sorry to those that ordered in a rush to get in before the program ended. Like before, You'll receive $2000 off using my Ohio referral link. Feel free to PM me for direct questions about the ordering process. I can PM you my phone number as well to go into more detail. The biggest help I've been able to provide was to talk through my personal experiences with my car and options. I got every option on my 85D except for the air suspension, so I can help you along if you're trying to decide on specific options.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Well, here we go again! Sorry to those that ordered in a rush to get in before the program ended. Like before, You'll receive $2000 off using my Ohio referral link. Feel free to PM me for direct questions about the ordering process. I can PM you my phone number as well to go into more detail. The biggest help I've been able to provide was to talk through my personal experiences with my car and options. I got every option on my 85D except for the air suspension, so I can help you along if you're trying to decide on specific options.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

I don't think the $2k is in effect anymore. The email I got specifically stated that I get nothing besides the chance for a free P90DL, a free powerwall, free Model 3 VIP tickets or free tickets to the gigafactory opening.

Emphasis mine below:

- - - Updated - - -

A few months ago, we kicked off an experimental Referral Program. The results are in and the Referral Program has been incredibly successful. We’d like to say thank you. Thank you for sharing your experiences, thank you for letting your friends drive your cars, thank you for spreading the word. Your enthusiasm and graciousness are what make the Tesla family so special.

We’re now pleased to announce that we’re launching a new Referral Program that will extend to the end of 2015. We have adjusted the terms of the program in response to the feedback we received. In the new Referral Program, you can continue to offer your friends $1,000 towards the purchase of a new Model S through the holiday season. While we will no longer be giving Tesla credits to you as the referrer, we have expanded the unique experiences we’re making available to our top supporters:

• The person to reach the overall highest number of referrals per region will receive a free Ludicrous P90D Model S, plus an all-expenses paid trip to Model 3 unveiling event with VIP access
  • The first to ten referrals per region will receive a free Powerwall with installation
  • Those making ten or more referrals will receive a VIP invitation to Model 3 unveiling event
  • Those making five or more referrals will receive a VIP invitation to Gigafactory opening event
Here's a reminder of your referral link: http://ts.la/maxim2412

This program runs from November 1 until December 31, 2015. For full details on the program and instructions on how to share your link, click below.

That's the email I got. I want a VIP invite to the Model 3 unveiling event, so feel free to use my code, though I'm not as good a salesperson as others here. I'll gladly answer any questions.

I don't think the $2k is in effect anymore. The email I got specifically stated that I get nothing besides the chance for a free P90DL, a free powerwall, free Model 3 VIP tickets or free tickets to the gigafactory opening.

Emphasis mine below:

- - - Updated - - -

That's the email I got. I want a VIP invite to the Model 3 unveiling event, so feel free to use my code, though I'm not as good a salesperson as others here. I'll gladly answer any questions.

Ah thanks. Missed that. Still good for the buyer to get $1000 off and bring in more Tesla owners!

Emphasis mine below:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I agree, it looks like it.

Wow ... already 27 people on the Leaderboard .... deja vu all over again ..... except mine shows as "0" ...... :-( Bet more people pay attention early on ... last time I didn't until 3 weeks before the end and had only 4 ..... Hopefully it all will generate lots of sales for Tesla ..... they need a strong 4th quarter! The last time it became a lot of fun answering questions and helping the last minute buyer's .... really looking forward to the Gigafactory trip .....!! The Model 3 unveiling ... heck ya .... but 10 seems a long way to go ...... 5 was doable ... :) Wouldn't it be nice to let those who got more than 10 last time only need to get to 5 for the invite .....

Wow ... already 27 people on the Leaderboard .... deja vu all over again ..... except mine shows as "0" ...... :-( Bet more people pay attention early on ... last time I didn't until 3 weeks before the end and had only 4 ..... Hopefully it all will generate lots of sales for Tesla ..... they need a strong 4th quarter! The last time it became a lot of fun answering questions and helping the last minute buyer's .... really looking forward to the Gigafactory trip .....!! The Model 3 unveiling ... heck ya .... but 10 seems a long way to go ...... 5 was doable ... :) Wouldn't it be nice to let those who got more than 10 last time only need to get to 5 for the invite .....

I had fun with the last competition but left it too late to get to 10. I'd love to get a P90DL (wouldn't we all). It's gonna cost the winner probably 40k in federal tax and another 3-7K in state taxes and then registration. So Free is a relative term but it's still a great deal.

How do we see leaderboard? Is there a way to see without the app?