Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Sleeping at Factory According to the News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly needs to be done to increase production?
Step 1: Identify bottlenecks
Step 2: Determine whether or not anything can be done to reduce said bottleneck (parallelize certain steps, reorder sequence, remove unnecessary steps, move to further downstream, etc...)
Step 3: Implement any bottleneck reduction strategies you have determine should have an impact
Step 4: repeat

What exactly needs to be done to increase production?

Tunnelling..

“We are looking at building tunnels, using The Boring Company’s thing, because we have, for example, our seats production is at a separate building on Page. And we have a bunch of trucks moving seats back and forth between both the primary Fremont production and the seat factory.

And we actually get constrained on how many trucks can we dock and undock at the seat factory, which is only, I don’t know, half a mile or a mile away from the vehicle plant. So it’ll be pretty easy to just have a tunnel, do an automated conveyance from seats to the factory.”

I believe they've identified transport of batteries from GF to Fremont as an upcoming big bottleneck. There's probably more low-hanging fruit they can work on in the meantime.
I believe from the shareholder call, Tesla has identified another potential chokepoint coming up. The parts logistics dance at Fremont. Apparently it's a massive software driven system, and when you turn up the pressure on software systems in production environments things can shake out that escape testing.

I believe they've identified transport of batteries from GF to Fremont as an upcoming big bottleneck. There's probably more low-hanging fruit they can work on in the meantime.
Contracting additional trucks would take a day or two at most. There are literally thousands of trucking companies that could do that run. Nothing fancy about moving batteries stacked on a pallet.

Elon Sleeping at Factory According to the News
Is this perhaps what they're referring to? :rolleyes:;)
DZurrX-U0AAUthg

Believe that is what the News feeds picked up and ran with.

It was a joke to take off some steam from the people piling on with some recent incidences.

Probably fake news.

no, he did say it.. earlier today on Twitter

Elon Musk on Twitter

About a year ago, I asked Doug to manage both engineering & production. He agreed that Tesla needed eng & prod better aligned, so we don’t design cars that are crazy hard to build. Right now, tho, better to divide & conquer, so I’m back to sleeping at factory. Car biz is hell …

Hats off to Elon Musk.

I do wish he would manage to assemble a core team of people with the requisite abilities to better manage expanding operations.

Having a CEO with Elon's kind of mojo [knowledge, intelligence, involvement ... inspiration] is invaluable. These stints do add to his insights.

On the positive side is still his ever more relevant decision to be counseled and swayed by Tesla's top leadership [vital capability!] to base the coming Model Y on the 3 platform and hence leverage that really hard won knowledge.

Model Y is aimed at one of the globe's hottest vehicle categories*, and there will be some serious competition over the next years.

As an aside, I can guarantee endless nagging in the European automotive press regarding Model 3's rear seats - the option to buy a CUV is important. EV's have come so far in so short a time!

Reactions: VBruce