Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Wing Walking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd almost dare to ask if you have kids. Rhetorical question.

Perhaps it was rhetorical, but I don't think you were expecting me to say yes. Yep. I have kids. One (foster) in law school majoring in international law, the other just took a new job as a software engineer for a company in the Pacific NW. He just left a job as lead engineer for a major uni's Center for Brain Research, working with the surgeons doing brain modeling. As yes, I practice what I preach. The rule when growing up was 'you need to be able to look me in the eye, tell me you knew what could happen, mitigate risk as best you can, and then decide if it is worth it.' That lesson was repeated constantly, and he heard it.

As a couple of the people on this forum know (one who has known him since he was in diapers), he's lived in various parts of the world kite boarding, ice climbing, and skiing remote areas while working remotely. The world is his playground. And he listened regarding risk - as a teen, picking him up at the ER because of cracked ribs, the first thing he said was 'I walked the landing, Mom! I just misjudged when I took off.' He's incredibly resourceful in the back country. And he wears not only an avalanche beacon in back country, but also a device that will float him to the top of an avalanche. He doesn't take unnecessary risk or do things beyond his skill level.

He knows I have his back at all times. And since I have 586 jumps (and he knew it), it would have been hugely hypocritical of me to try to keep him from experiencing life. (I also put him out the plane on his first jump and taught him to sail sitting on the back of my board windsurfing, calling out wind changes to me as a small child. :) )

If you're going to live life, live it.

Last edited:
586 jumps! And here I was proud of my 10.

You've given your children some strong foundations, Bonnie. I expect they will always "pluck the day as it is ripe".

I doubt Musk would be Musk without something to liven things up now and then.

586 jumps! And here I was proud of my 10.

You've given your children some strong foundations, Bonnie. I expect they will always "pluck the day as it is ripe".

I doubt Musk would be Musk without something to liven things up now and then.

You should be proud of your 10! You kept going back :), not just a 'quicky hero' thing. Awesome, yes? And yes, I hope I've given a strong foundation. Responsible adults that seize each day. (Not to say I didn't worry, only that I didn't let that dictate my actions.)

This video was part of a Mother's Day gift several years back - I grinned through the whole thing. They climbed one side, ski'd down the other. So much better than watching life go by. (He's got the red boots.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Elon Musk: Wingwalker

It’s probably safe to say Elon Musk isn’t afraid of heights, given that he runs a space exploration startup. But now we have definitive proof. The Tesla and SpaceX CEO posted a picture of himself on Instagram standing atop an airplane as it flies through the sky. The daredevil stunt is known as wingwalking. “What could go wrong?” Musk asked in the photo caption.

Elon Musk Rides Atop Plane in Wingwalking Stunt

http://www.aerosuperbatics.com/beawingwalker

This costs £399 per person and he did it for fun with his wife. It's not especially dangerous. Comparable to Parasailing with an experienced professional company. A quick tweet to 2.4 million of his close friends and it becomes part of the Tony Stark daredevil legend.
Musk bought an L39 jet and got his pilots license for it which is way beyond a basic license. He gave that up as just too dangerous a hobby for somebody with responsibilities. This wasn't comparable.

It seems Breitling has sent Elon a letter.

wingwalk.png