Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon and Ukraine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is it that Elon is doing that cause just unreasonable response? It's absolutely unreasonable for that ambassador to tell Elon to F off for what he tweeted. Just like how the cave guy told Elon to shove that sub where the sun don't shine. These are completely unacceptable things to say in public and it makes zero sense to me.
Of course it was unreasonable for them to make those comments. When you are in a position like Elon, you don't have the luxury of benefit of doubt. You have to take the high road or your enemies will punish you.

We can argue about what should be until we are blue in the face, but we have to live in a world loaded with propaganda and dishonest people.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Sure what the ambassador said was unreasonable.

Elons reply right when news was breaking about possible shutdown of starlink in Ukraine was even more unreasonable because it reinforced the narrative that SL possibly shutting down was a tantrum instead of based in economics.

The facts show Starlink was raising funding concerns to governments weeks before ANY of the above happened-- but that's not the message anybody is getting thanks to Elons responses.

Instead the message the masses are getting is "Elon got insulted so he's taking his ball and going home"

Perception is reality for most.

Did you find Elon calling that guy (inaccurately) a pedophile acceptable?

"He said something mean first" is not an excuse adults should be using.
It just doesn't compute for someone who is being celebrated for his heroic effort saving the kids to just go completely off the deep end as if Elon slept with his wife. I don't like conspiracy theories but if you were to tell me that was scripted, then it'll compute much better for me.

As for Elons response, I am not on the spectrum nor am I under great stress due to Tesla collapsing at the time, so I am not going sit here pretending I can be a better person if I were him. But at least Elons response had a motive and can be explained in a coherent manner.

Of course it was unreasonable for them to make those comments. When you are in a position like Elon, you don't have the luxury of benefit of doubt. You have to take the high road or your enemies will punish you.

We can argue about what should be until we are blue in the face, but we have to live in a world loaded with propaganda and dishonest people.
Musk has bulldozed through all those PR protection rackets so far...

That's more or less my stance. What they have done to help Ukraine has been simply amazing. Even after his peace proposal he could have salvaged things if he had focused on that. When engaged with the guy who told him to **** off it just played right into the hands of the people who claim that Elon is a Russian supporter. Thank God we have some important Ukranian figures who are still pointing out how important Starlink has been to the war effort.

It's a case where I completely understand Elon's position, but where he communicated the wrong way. As smart as he is I wish he would realize he is weak in this area and err on the side of caution.
Millions will see these articles, thousands will see this tweet.

View attachment 864142

I think we're too much focussed on the Twitter universe. It is not representative of society. The loudest and often most obnoxious people use Twitter (they think their opinion is very important and needs to be heard), but most of society never reads anything on Twitter.

I think we're also too much focussed on the impact of what Elon tweets on the rest of society. What he says is much less controversial on the right side of the political spectrum than on the left side.

And I believe we're too much focussed on western society itself. We fear what potential Tesla buyers in the West might think of Elon and Tesla. But we don't realise that we he said on Ukraine (but also Taiwan) is well received in China, Tesla's second most important market.

The fact that many of us are active on Twitter, lean to the left and live in the West makes us overestimate the negative impact of his tweets.

This is pretty cool:
Screenshot_20221015-111441.png

I know if they started a Go Fund Me page, I would definitely contribute as I would know my money is going to the defense of Ukraine!

This is pretty cool:View attachment 864216

I know if they started a Go Fund Me page, I would definitely contribute as I would know my money is going to the defense of Ukraine!
I would contribute, as well. However, Elon / SpaceX starting a GoFundMe would add gasoline to the FUD fire

Maybe SpaceX could sell some stupid overpriced trinket, or better something digital, to raise funds.

I would contribute, as well. However, Elon / SpaceX starting a GoFundMe would add gasoline to the FUD fire

Maybe SpaceX could sell some stupid overpriced trinket, or better something digital, to raise funds.
Agreed, but it doesn't have to be Elon or SpaceX that starts it, maybe just an informed individual... I'm too dumb to do it.

Well, now he's really stepped in it. Can you imagine the level of hate Elon with get for this?

I know your statement was in jest, but the negative Twitter responses arrived right on cue. Some Ukrainians do pay for Starlink, so some have been posting receipts, implying that Elon is lying. But combat units aren’t paying for access, and those cellular backhauls aren’t paying full rate.

People here need to realize that Elon/SpaceX is up against one of the best propaganda machines in the world. Russian military and government are experts at taking down opponents through media. The oil/gas industry propaganda was bad enough, but now he has military grade propaganda aimed at him. Keep that in mind when reading any anti-Elon or SpaceX information.

I know your statement was in jest, but the negative Twitter responses arrived right on cue. Some Ukrainians do pay for Starlink, so some have been posting receipts, implying that Elon is lying. But combat units aren’t paying for access, and those cellular backhauls aren’t paying full rate.

People here need to realize that Elon/SpaceX is up against one of the best propaganda machines in the world. Russian military and government are experts at taking down opponents through media. The oil/gas industry propaganda was bad enough, but now he has military grade propaganda aimed at him. Keep that in mind when reading any anti-Elon or SpaceX information.
I think that's only part of the issue at hand. Given that this is twitter, trying to cram nuance into 160 characters isn't going to work well. So its kinda hard to spell out "x is paying for it, but y isn't or is paying some rate", so when you get sweeping statements you get people who say "no, actually" with truth behind it.

While I think some of it is pure anti-Elon without regards for facts, some of the negative responses are justified. Negative != propaganda; we should look at the various responses and use some logical reasoning, as well as putting ourselves in their shoes. Unfortunately that seem to be in short supply these days.

Already lots of ways to donate to Ukraine, eg.

Already lots of ways to donate to Ukraine, eg.
True, but I would much rather donate to a place where I could help fund Starlink and where I know where my money's going.