Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason I think its a power limiting feature on the motor, similar to ICE cylinder deactivation. So for example, instead of a regular p85 having 470 hp at all times, there's some "cruise" or "eco" mode that says you can run on 200 HP or something while cruising. I think this feature is good for P85D's who don't need all the bananas in your face power ALL THE TIME.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

I love reading these replies. Such crazy speculation and just downright silly things people are saying because of a tweet from a guy who is known to blow smoke up everyone's tushies. Maybe he just wanted to squeeze the shorts and watch the weak stock jump a little tomorrow. I think its something so minimal it isn't even worth discussing further.
OK, let's all agree to just stop the thread right here... @krisg81 is certainly correct.

LOL

I know that Tesla has the ability to see supercharger use remotely; I spoke to a Tesla employee at Hawthorne who was showing off their wall display that showed supercharger use. He told me that Tesla planned to make that data available in the future... that was a year ago.

So... that's my guess... you'll be able to tell how many open SC bays there are in Barstow while charging in Needles to decide wether to charge to 70% and stop at Barstow or charge to 100% to go to Mojave...

This will be available on your nav;

HawthorneSC-Dashboard.jpg

Lol

seriously though. A vague tweet generating so much off the wall speculation and it's going to be literally nothing more than a different way of displaying range and routing to various chargers on your nav screen, a'la EV Trip Planner.

why anyone things different is beyond me.

OK, let's all agree to just stop the thread right here... @krisg81 is certainly correct.

LOL

Lol

seriously though. A vague tweet generating so much off the wall speculation and it's going to be literally nothing more than a different way of displaying range and routing to various chargers on your nav screen, a'la EV Trip Planner.

why anyone things different is beyond me.

Because we've been here longer than three months. I don't know what it is but I'm pretty sure it's more than that.

I know that Tesla has the ability to see supercharger use remotely; I spoke to a Tesla employee at Hawthorne who was showing off their wall display that showed supercharger use. He told me that Tesla planned to make that data available in the future... that was a year ago.

So... that's my guess... you'll be able to tell how many open SC bays there are in Barstow while charging in Needles to decide wether to charge to 70% and stop at Barstow or charge to 100% to go to Mojave...

This will be available on your nav;

View attachment 74975

It would be a nice feature but not useful since SC usage can change significantly every 30-60 minutes - the average time an owner charges up. I decide to forgo one SC for another because of the current status but it could be reversed by the time I get there.

Along the lines of the AAA idea, how about the ability to have close-by Model S cars transfer charge from one car to another. Would need special cable and DC capability. Never mind.

The AAA trucks that were piloted in Phoenix and Portland had onboard CHAdeMO. Here's what I'm guessing:

Tesla Motors partners with AAA
AAA big generator trucks start carrying CHAdeMO->Tesla adapters
All Model S cars get OTA upgrade to allow CHAdeMO
Range anxiety lowered

Now, I wonder if this is going to be included with the existing Tesla roadside assistance, or would we need a AAA membership?

Either way, this idea doesn't really do anything for me. It's great for PR, though.

As for V2V charging, I don't see why that wouldn't work. If there's a Service Center nearby, they could have a special cable made just for that purpose and just use a loaner car. It would also get Tesla testing the power going OUT of the Model S for a possible V2G scenario.

They probably can create some very accurate energy models. This is part of Tesla's big data/connected car/silicon valley advantage. The Model S fleet probably has nearly 1 billion miles under its belt now. That should be very useful real world consumption data that would help create accurate energy modeling. Most advanced/accurate/data backed Nav would be the kind of thing that gets Elon excited and tweeting. To my knowledge, no other car company has the ability to tap that amount and type of real world driving data.

This. The recent Morgan Stanley video touted Tesla's advantage of having massive amounts of data available to them. If Tesla actually has been grabbing everyone's routes, speeds, weather conditions, and energy usage, they could have a dynamic version of evtripplanner, only with 99% accuracy.

I think you got it, trils0n.

Well, I'm sure that sub 100kmh free wheeling a Model S loses very little speed on flat roads with no frontal wind for at least 50 to 100m, combine that with gyro in the car or whatever sensor that tells the car road is flat and GPS for length of said flat or decline road, which means better road mapping, and you can get a very aggressive hypermilling strategy embedded into the inverter.
One question is to see if you can induce and collapse the magnetic field in the rotor quickly enough to make this strategy work and worth it, and see what is the wear and tear on the inverter, but I'm not one of the engineers @ Tesla, and can only speculate ;), here's to 10% free range improvement and better mapping.

Last edited:
Because we've been here longer than three months. I don't know what it is but I'm pretty sure it's more than that.

lol ok man. Guess we'll see right? You sure have a lot of faith some type of firmware update is going to do something crazy without additional hardware. It's a tweak to the nav or an app on the screen. Nothing more.

My prediction (WTH)
1> Nav improvements
2> More aggressive battery usage/efficiency to give 5%
3> Announcement of destination charging (John Q doesn't know about this) with a pic of a map with 1000 destinations
4> Possible partnership to increase SC/HPWC dramatically
and then >5 Model X

Reasons
1- Nav update alone would be crushing to the stock and his reputation.
2- Reduced costs on retrofit of 2nd charger. Rather dramatic actually. Because us single chargers would be kicking ourselves if every Walmart got a HPWC. Walmart particularly wants some green goodwill.
3 - It is time for the Model X and he can't pull another press release in a timely fashion. It has been almost 6 months since the D and he can't wait another 6 months for the X.

How to end range anxiety:

- Set destination in NAV
- Tesla computes Kwh needed for the trip.
- Car limits power (and thus speed) to the motor.

You arrive at your destination.

The golden rule is, if you don't think you're gonna make it, just drive slower.
If the software in the car can help you with that, it would end range anxiety.

Many of these suggestions seem to centre around superchargers but there are still plenty of models s drivers who have limited or no access to Superchargers. Doesn't really seem like a whole fleet type of improvement if the improvement was just about SCs. Micro pulse idea is interesting, though It seems that some people may have already debunked this idea. Either way Lets hope they test it better than torque sleep which by comparison seems relatively simple. Love the idea of some kind of frunk extender but obviously not an OTA type of enhancement and probably not practical unless a permanent install. Increased battery range would be nice but only reduces range anxiety for some people in some situations. Overall it's got to be to be a suite of features that aid in range prediction and management. Or maybe Elon will just say: psyche!
i started reading this thread but eventually realized I couldn't catch up on 300+ posts without taking tomorrow off. Guess I just added some more noise!

Two things need to be kept in mind:

1. This is sw update only and nothing else.
2. Most (other than EV enthusiast) people are too lazy to plan their trip and that is what causes range anxiety.

Based on these the only thing I can see coming is that the Model S will tell you all the places where you can charge and also if you can reach them with your current range or not. By touching the charge station icon in the map you can start navigating there. Navigation (at least to charging stations) will be enabled in all cars.

Predictions:

1. He will reveal the X. This range thing is diversion to surprise everyone.:smile:
2. Its something to do with navigation.:frown:

If it is just to do with navigation, then the Model X is being delayed even more and has problems, and this is just a PR stunt to ease the wait.