Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it makes sense, although one challenge is car-specific issues like pack version and degradation. To do offline (well online, but not in your car) calculation Tesla would need to know how much capacity your car has and how fast you can charge at Superchargers. So maybe you look up your car by VIN or name* do the calculation and upload it to the car, which is sleeping but always connected*, which will add it to its nav/ calendar*.

* Naming your car, always connected option, calendar items. Who cares about those?
The app already knows your current charge status and there's no reason online browser based software couldn't do the same (in fact there's already an app for Chrome that does that). But you don't even really need that. The program/web page would ask you your starting pack charge percentage and battery size. I have an 85kWh pack and will charge to 100% to start my trip. Then you program in your final destination, the program suggests a route, you have the ability to adjust that if needed. The program would tell you your estimated remaining range at each location and estimated amount of charge you would need to reach your next destination. It doesn't need to know your charge rate.

If there is also facility to program in your anticipated average speed, anticipated weather, and etc. that would be cool, or it could automatically fill those blanks as it currently does (for the speed anyway).

Okay, I really hadn't intended to contribute to this thread but I can't resist. I haven't reviewed the whole thread, but when I've dipped in I haven't seen this exact suggestion –

Navigation system improvements (I think that's the most popular prediction) PLUS integration of TACC or Autopilot. That is, the navigation system produces a course guaranteed to get you to your next charging point, and TACC/Autopilot guarantees to drive within the power consumption envelope necessary to meet that contract.

To me, the addition of that second part would be a significant value-add versus just the navigation system offering me a course, The more so if it were updated in real-time as you would expect it ought to be. Technologically, adding the TACC/Autopilot integration doesn't seem like a big deal; in terms of the user experience it does.

While this is certainly a sensible and likely idea, it cannot apply to the entire fleet, because only the most recent cars have the TACC. Though perhaps this is just a bonus for those with TACC.

Keep in mind, we're taking about apples and oranges here. I believe the overall efficiency of the Volt is in the neighborhood GM announced. I would expect the Energi to be somewhere close given the MPGe numbers - but I have no data on the Energi at all.
Walter

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. Tesla could then optimize for total trip time, taking charge rates at different stops and different states of charge into account.

Ideally, you could program or be offered longer stops for meals, with choices of which SC you'd take them at and lists of restaurant choices near each - even look through the menus ahead of time as you lay out the trip.

It's a lot more planning than I usually do for the typical trip, but if the car made it easy, and included all the potential choices, I think I could get used to it.

Adding target efficiency mode programming to TACC certainly has some fascinating possibilities.
Walter

If you are interested in data I have collected for the Energi regarding motor efficiency, see the following and subsequent posts.

OBD II Data for HVB - Page 5 - Batteries & Charging - Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Interesting. Tesla could then optimize for total trip time, taking charge rates at different stops and different states of charge into account.

Ideally, you could program or be offered longer stops for meals, with choices of which SC you'd take them at and lists of restaurant choices near each - even look through the menus ahead of time as you lay out the trip.

It's a lot more planning than I usually do for the typical trip, but if the car made it easy, and included all the potential choices, I think I could get used to it.

Adding target efficiency mode programming to TACC certainly has some fascinating possibilities.
Walter

this suggestion (adapting car behavior to achieve range) may be attractive to a subset of EV geeks, but keep in mind tesla is focused on selling more cars and broadening appeal. My friends on the fence all have same reservations: 250 not enough, superchargers not in enough places and still take too long, don't want to drive slower or turn down hvac to extend range. Anyone who has the car quickly learns these are seldom issues. But any move that doesn't address these standard buying obstacles is unlikely to boost tesla's mission of widespread adoption.

in this article, 3 Ways Tesla Motors May 'End Range Anxiety' Thursday TSLA TWTR AAPL - Investors.com
, it states:

Driving in "range mode" prioritizes energy savings and lets Model S drivers draw down their battery packs further than usual
That paragraph was a bit confusing. It was talking about the possibility of "More hypermiling in range mode." While I know that Range mode restricts (limits) the power draw of the heat pump so that it doesn't chew up large range over time, in general yes there can possible be more ways to extend hypermiling, which has been discussed many times before. But that exact quote sounds like they are saying the CURRENT functionality of Range mode allows drivers to draw down their battery packs further than usual - is this true? The way I interpret that statement is that current Range mode allows people to get 'negative miles', aka 'miles past 0' (in other words, drawing more power out of the pack past the point it would normally have told you to 'pull over safely, shutting down'. If that is true that's news to me. I thought the *SINGLE ONLY* thing range mode actually did was limit the heat pump power draw.

My thoughts on their announcement will be that they will announce a partnership with a major company like Chargepoint or maybe even big oil gas stations like Exxon to install superchargers or CHAdeMO stations across the nation exponentially increasing the number of places to get fast DC charging. Or maybe partnership with Mercedes and mercedes will install tesla proprietary superchargers at every dealership. Aka like Elon tweeted "supercharging is the future". That combined with improved software to navigate you to all these new stations and native support for these new fast dc charger locations into the console. But hey if they found a way to dramatically increase range itself by being more efficient that's even better.

Although I do share the excitement about potential future hardware updates, I wouldn't underestimate the impact of a simple software update on the whole driving/charging experience of the car - we're talking about Tesla, folks. This is not a BMW about to get a new CarPlay version...

To be clear, I was not discussing hardware updates on the fleet of Model Ss on the road. With the exception of the temporary removal of the Automatic Air Suspension feature, I have always been impressed and grateful for Tesla's continuing free software updates. I am sure I will likewise enjoy the new software features that will be announced Thursday. However, in addition to hearing about a software update I am hoping to hear something also newsworthy with regard to a meaningful business partnership with Tesla that would complement the software in also addressing range anxiety.

As was pointed out numerous time in this thread, Elon's real audience are the people who do NOT already own Teslas. Such a two pronged announcement would be more likely to attract the attention of prospective new owners.

Larry

Last edited:
in this article, 3 Ways Tesla Motors May 'End Range Anxiety' Thursday TSLA TWTR AAPL - Investors.com
, it states:

That paragraph was a bit confusing. It was talking about the possibility of "More hypermiling in range mode." While I know that Range mode restricts (limits) the power draw of the heat pump so that it doesn't chew up large range over time, in general yes there can possible be more ways to extend hypermiling, which has been discussed many times before. But that exact quote sounds like they are saying the CURRENT functionality of Range mode allows drivers to draw down their battery packs further than usual - is this true? The way I interpret that statement is that current Range mode allows people to get 'negative miles', aka 'miles past 0' (in other words, drawing more power out of the pack past the point it would normally have told you to 'pull over safely, shutting down'. If that is true that's news to me. I thought the *SINGLE ONLY* thing range mode actually did was limit the heat pump power draw.

Occam's Misued Razor says they just got it wrong.

...(3) Towing or mobile charging. These might become free services to anyone stranded under the new trip planning update...
Why not towing and mobile charging.

This clever Russian owner led us the way and opened a can of worms.

All Tesla Motors need to do is release firmware with a new TowCharge Mode, controlling the amount of regenative power while being towed behind a Tesla TowCharger(c) or any other tow truck.
These TowChargers could be contacted through a 'Please TowCharge me' dialog in the 17" screen, or they could proactively contact potentially stranding Model S's.

10 minutes being towed for 6 miles gives you 10 kWh extra, for a total range extension of 6 + 30 miles.

How is that for range anxiety relief?

Why not towing and mobile charging.

This clever Russian owner led us the way and opened a can of worms.

All Tesla Motors need to do is release firmware with a new TowCharge Mode, controlling the amount of regenative power while being towed behind a Tesla TowCharger(c) or any other tow truck.
These TowChargers could be contacted through a 'Please TowCharge me' dialog in the 17" screen, or they could proactively contact potentially stranding Model S's.

10 minutes being towed for 6 miles gives you 10 kWh extra, for a total range extension of 6 + 30 miles.

How is that for range anxiety relief?
Just great for tesla image to see them dragged around by tow trucks. A mockery!

To be clear, I was not discussing hardware updates on the fleet of Model Ss on the road. With the exception of the temporary removal of the Automatic Air Suspension feature, I have always been impressed and grateful for Tesla's continuing free software updates. I am sure I will likewise enjoy the new software features that will be announced Thursday. However, in addition to hearing about a software update I am hoping to hear something also newsworthy with regard to a meaningful business partnership with Tesla that would complement the software in also addressing range anxiety.

As was pointed out numerous time in this thread, Elon's real audience is the people who do NOT already own Teslas. Such a two pronged announcement would be more likely to attract the attention of prospective new owners.

Larry

Agreed, now I got you right, thanks!

Yep, it's much better for the Tesla image to see them flatbedded. :wink:

Seriously, I think it is quite feasible for Tesla to expand its roadside assistance plan by having a partnership with a service company such as AAA in which they would colaborate to provide mobile fast charging via a truck-mounted battery. Such an arrangement could charge at Supercharger rates and get the vehicle quickly back on the road without towing or flatbedding.

Larry

I like the line of thinking though, for example if they did something with starwood hotels, that's 9 different chains: Sheraton, Westin, W etc. There's 700+ in North America alone. That would be an amazing partnership.

I do think a hotel chain makes the most sense, but Starwood is #3. Marriott has 3,800 locations worldwide and Hilton has 4,200. I have elite status with both Starwood and Hilton and I often find myself in cities that only offer a Hilton even though I'd prefer to accumulate Starpoints. Between Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Conrad and Waldorf there are very few cities in North America without a location.

You're assuming the hook-up and release would be done by the side of the road. The way it would actually work is that the tow vehicle will overtake, Metal Tow Rope Solid will snake out and grab onto the tow hook of your Tesla, pull you to recharge for a while, and then release you when you can get to the next Supercharger.

Towing is cool when it's done right.

You're assuming the hook-up and release would be done by the side of the road. The way it would actually work is that the tow vehicle will overtake, Metal Tow Rope Solid will snake out and grab onto the tow hook of your Tesla, pull you to recharge for a while, and then release you when you can get to the next Supercharger.

Towing is cool when it's done right.
This is wrong on just SO MANY levels...