Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric RC Airplane, Helicopter, Boat and Car Hobbyists

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been able to utilize the Tesla's 12 V system to drive a 12 V to 120 V inverter for charging RC batteries at the field? There is so much capacity in these cars, that a field generator would not be necessary if there was a safe way to utilize a small fraction of the on-board stored power.

Related, if you did tap off the 12 V battery, would it be continually recharged by the main battery pack?

After I bought my Model 3 I let my flying buddies know about it. One of them who also has a Model 3 warned me about charging at the field using the 12 V Battery. I never charge at the field so I didn't ask him why but I assume he had a bad personal experience with trying it.

I would think there is a safe level that you could draw directly from the 12 V battery since that's what's running the air conditioning, lights, radio and other accessories.

Being able to field charge from the car would be awesome for RC enthusiasts. Surely someone must have figured out a safe way to do it?

I’ve charged off the 12v battery several times without any problems. Then again my RC models aren’t that big. Today I charged a 13v 2amp-hr battery 3 times. Then I charged a 6v 4.5 amp-hr Pb battery but it was at least half full before I started. I opened the doors multiple times during these sessions which keeps the car awake and I think also keeps the 12v topped up. I Don’t think I’m hurting anything but I’d like to know what your friend with the M3 has to say.