Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric "conversion" of a VW Westfalia using a Model S platform

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pariah | Stretchla Blog
...an email out of the blue from my local Tesla parts department: “Due to the salvage status of your Model S , I have been instructed to cease providing you with parts. Tesla is very concerned about vehicles with salvaged titles being improperly repaired. Going forward, all salvaged vehicles must be inspected by us or our approved body shop, Precision Auto Body. If declared a candidate for proper repair, reconstruction must be completed by a Tesla-Certified Body Shop.”...

Some other people who ran into trouble trying to get parts for salvage title Model S:

San Diego Man's $58,000 Nightmare with a (Salvage Title) Tesla Model S
My P85 Salvage Story - Help!

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed that someone proposed a similar idea a while back:

Tesla Westfalia S

Last edited:
It feels a bit slow but things are moving some, I am hoping to release a video update later this week.
Let's see, I got fresh 19" wheels with Michelins, Stripped down the passenger seat (I'll be able to lower it quite a bit), am working on spoofing the LIN bus that controls the front shutters and I plan my first visit to the SC in Portland tomorrow to order suspension parts.

Small world. My oldest and best friend lives in Corvallis and has met you and Kirk Swaney. His name is Craig, mid 60's and been a electronics tweaker for close to 50 years.

Otmar, not sure how often you read this forum, but you really should read the thread
Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO - Page 55

Might be time to start working on your project again. Think you might want to read page 55 rather closely. :wink:

I appreciate you looking out for me!
Parts and charging are all surmountable for me. Every time I've tested the Supercharger it has worked fine and used parts are easy to find now. Getting over the hurdle of body work and rust repair is my biggest technical problem.
I hope to get back on the project when my health and energy return. Health is not critical, just a lifetime of gut issues that keep me near starvation all too often.

Hey Otmar, just sending a few positive waves your way.
Have just read and watched everything on your blog, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Between you and btr, you have two pretty complex projects. If not a bit nuts... But those are the best ones!

You clearly have some good qualities for being in front of the camera. Felt like a chat with friend. Good stuff. Can't believe you don't have more cuts in there!