Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early '22 Exterior Refresh Tracking (Lights, Charging Door, Appliqué delete)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I understand those have been standard for years. I'd talk to your local delivery center about it and get one.
Interesting. I don't think so, unless Tesla's being sneaky... Below is a photo from a Google search showing what I saw:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-212711_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220228-212711_Google.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
It will look more like the compromise it is when body colored than intentionally different (black).
totally agree. If the appliqué was body colored it’d look like Tesla was just painting over the vestigial organ we know it to be, a half assed attempt at blending it in/hiding it. But painting it black gives it some design intention. Looks better black than body colored imo. Of course the ultimate would be removing the appliqué piece altogether and redesigning the trunk lid. 😊

Reactions: B-lon
So confused.

Temp plate was a piece of paper taped to the rear window. Real plates came in the mail for you to just screw on at home, at least in my state.

@EndlessPlaid are you referring to the license plate frame (with model s written on it)? I'm not actually talking about that, I'm talking about the black plastic rectangular plate that you mount the license plate on in this new "refresh". See pic...

Fyi the new MX's also don't have this piece. Pretty sure none of the pre-lights refresh MS's or current MX's have this. Show me a pic that says otherwise and I'll eat my words 🫣

But eh, enough derailing from me :).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-214550_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220228-214550_Chrome.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
So confused.

Temp plate was a piece of paper taped to the rear window. Real plates came in the mail for you to just screw on at home, at least in my state.

@EndlessPlaid are you referring to the license plate frame (with model s written on it)? I'm not actually talking about that, I'm talking about the black plastic rectangular plate that you mount the license plate on in this new "refresh". See pic...

Fyi the new MX's also don't have this piece. Pretty sure none of the pre-lights refresh MS's or current MX's have this. Show me a pic that says otherwise and I'll eat my words 🫣

But eh, enough derailing from me :).
Omg I'm an idiot lol! Sorry; I took your question to mean that you were asking about the license plate frame.

Reactions: cmarshack
Omg I'm an idiot lol! Sorry; I took your question to mean that you were asking about the license plate frame.
No worries, I wasn't clear in my original post. I called it a plate holder thingy o_O

Also, made a graphic to compare headlights, at least the aesthetics of them. IMO I prefer the look of the 2021 despite apparently sucking at their job vs. these new ones. The more pronounced inside "partitions" look... cooler? Also interesting to see that the new style seems to be a throwback to the original 2013 style less the silver paint on the inside and line embellishments. TBH I'd still opt for better performing headlights over aesthetics if given the choice, but I'm sad it's such a small incremental step. Tesla sucks in general at making kick-ass lighting in their cars both inside and out, but... as they say, better is better than best.

1646115209551.png

Last edited:
No worries, I wasn't clear in my original post. I called it a plate holder thingy o_O

Also, made a graphic to compare headlights, at least the aesthetics of them. IMO I prefer the look of the 2021 despite apparently sucking at their job vs. these new ones. The more pronounced inside "partitions" look... cooler? Also interesting to see that the new style seems to be a throwback to the original 2013 style less the silver paint on the inside and line embellishments. TBH I'd still opt for better performing headlights over aesthetics if given the choice, but I'm sad it's such a small incremental step. Tesla sucks in general at making kick-ass lighting in their cars both inside and out, but... as they say, better is better than best.

View attachment 775192
I actually have to disagree with you on the making good lights part. The Model 3 lights (on which the new matrix Model S lights are based) are insanely good. I mean crazy. I've never been in a car with this much spread, brightness, and depth to the lights, and I've been in some cars with really good lights. :)

Also, made a graphic to compare headlights, at least the aesthetics of them. IMO I prefer the look of the 2021 despite apparently sucking at their job vs. these new ones. The more pronounced inside "partitions" look... cooler? Also interesting to see that the style seems to be a throwback to the original 2013 style less the silver paint on the inside and line embellishments. TBH I'd still opt for better performing headlights over aesthetics if given the choice, but I'm sad it's such a small incremental step. Tesla sucks in general at making kick-ass lighting in their cars both inside and out, but... as they say, better is better than best.

View attachment 775192
Well said, I prefer the looks of the 2016.5-2021 headlights but would happily trade off the looks for the better performance. Plus the blacked out housing look meaner and will suit the blacked out trim better. The new headlights have such a similarity to my old S' blacked out projector headlights which looked really good once blacked out.
1646116073209.jpeg

I just spoke to the mobile tech (out to fix my charge port) about the headlights and the ability to retrofit and he said he doesn't believe they will do that. He said he saw an article Tesla put out about not doing retrofits (I'm paraphrasing here, my security cam didn't catch all the conversation :D ). Sad news, I was really hoping to be able to change them :(

I just spoke to the mobile tech (out to fix my charge port) about the headlights and the ability to retrofit and he said he doesn't believe they will do that. He said he saw an article Tesla put out about not doing retrofits (I'm paraphrasing here, my security cam didn't catch all the conversation :D ). Sad news, I was really hoping to be able to change them :(
Yep, different connectors most likely as I said.

There may be a way to build an adapter but you’ll lose light smarts and it’ll be $$$