Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP to FSD upgrade price drop by $1k. Will be $3k until July 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, has anyone looked at the used price differential between EAP and FSD? I was trying to analyze this on ev-cpo.com, but it's not so easy. It seems like there is about a $3k difference between AP and FSD on the Tesla used pricing.

I'm wondering what the resale difference will be, if I'm expecting to sell the car in a year or so. I have EAP now.

Anyone know if this upgrade will fix the cache write issues that might brick the ccu in a couple years?

That issue has nothing to do with the driving computer- that's the MCU

All Model 3s every made have MCU2 which never had that issue.... (in theory they eventually will, but on the order of decades from now, versus the "just 3-8 years" like MCU1)

Reactions: xcat
Value and use cases are going to be different for each owner.

I still need to see more functionality. $4K? Not a chance. $3K? Still no. $2K? I would be tempted. But for me, there is very little value until they get to Level 4, which is a long way off.

Value and use cases are going to be different for each owner.

I still need to see more functionality. $4K? Not a chance. $3K? Still no. $2K? I would be tempted. But for me, there is very little value until they get to Level 4, which is a long way off.

Anything past level 3 will require government approval, which we will likely be the biggest barrier for a long time...

Reactions: Tron 3
So, has anyone looked at the used price differential between EAP and FSD? I was trying to analyze this on ev-cpo.com, but it's not so easy. It seems like there is about a $3k difference between AP and FSD on the Tesla used pricing.

I'm wondering what the resale difference will be, if I'm expecting to sell the car in a year or so. I have EAP now.

I'm wondering how us EAP-buyers will market our used Teslas? EAP is no longer a known-entity. Maybe we advertise as..?

"Includes 'FSD highways' (Enhanced Auto Pilot)!"​

Thoughts?

I'm wondering how us EAP-buyers will market our used Teslas? EAP is no longer a known-entity. Maybe we advertise as..?

"Includes 'FSD highways' (Enhanced Auto Pilot)!"​

Thoughts?

Yeah, no idea... I was trying to figure out how Tesla prices used Model 3s with EAP, because I think Tesla pretty much sets the used price for the market. Well, at least the max price. I doubt you can ever sell a Tesla 3rd party above their used price.

But, I think Tesla probably converts the EAP cars to either AP only or FSD. EAP is just a software option, so they could easily downgrade them to AP only and then charge $7k for the upgrade to FSD for the next owner, if they want it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
its showing $3k...i passed at 2k before.

Im sure even FSD will not be able to handle my LA commute...you have to drive almost illegally just to get out of Koreatown. Im 100% certain the computer will not have the capabilities to drive locally starting at 4pm-530pm in Ktown traffic. Will pass at $3292.50 (w/ tax)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan_LA
For me personally, I am not so interested in sign recognition and city streets, but more for the HW 3.0 computer (which I concede still does not seem to have resulted in better functionality - at least from what i have read).

This is exactly my feeling. Not so much for the FSD or having my car be used in a robotaxi service but more for the improvements to autopilot and also future support in features/enhancements. EAP does a lot of what I would expect to use most of the time.

its showing $3k...i passed at 2k before.

Im sure even FSD will not be able to handle my LA commute...you have to drive almost illegally just to get out of Koreatown. Im 100% certain the computer will not have the capabilities to drive locally starting at 4pm-530pm in Ktown traffic. Will pass at $3292.50 (w/ tax)

Yea, just ordered new wheels and tires yesterday so my pocket hurt, but $3,000 is always better than $4,000... for the sake of HW3 (the only value here) is it worth it? Not sure... maybe yes? Have 1 week to figure this out since I got new wheels and most likely will die with car.

EAP>FSD=No real changes for the time being. Living in a Province of Canada that is running a decade or so behind most other locations in terms of accepting change, will hard pass at $4K Canadian Pesos. Would have to be fun money to get the driving visualizations.
I think someone here suggested that if it works as well as suggested, then the best bet for you money would be to invest in TSLA and pay the higher price for the upgrade when the stock does what it will do when that happens with your profit on TSLA. (My self directed RSP is quite enjoying the jump from $300 to $1000 on TSLA that has happened since I got a little of the company)
That said, I did order FSD for our CT, and I think it's more likely to be real by the time the CT is real, at which point my kid will be driving the X.
NB

$3000? Still too pricey for me. I mean, doesn't this quarter-end sale imply that it'll happen again in the future?

Even when it was $2000 back in Feb/March of 2019, you could have bought 6.7 shares of Tesla instead, and now those shares would be worth $6400. You could still buy the more expensive FSD, and have a nice chunk of change leftover. Of course, you didn't get 15 months of seeing some cool visualizations, and get to run thru stop signs, but hey, you made a nice chunk of change.

Reactions: Tron 3
$3000? Still too pricey for me. I mean, doesn't this quarter-end sale imply that it'll happen again in the future?

No.

For one- the price is going up another $1000 July 1- so the "sale" next quarter would be the non-sale price from this quarter.

For two- some think this is a push to hit 4 consecutive profitable quarters and get S&P500 inclusion- in which case they won't need to do it in the future at all.

Reactions: MP3Mike