Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving new 2008 roadster back home -- some issues...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever we travel over the hills we always try to have at least 120% range of the miles needed. This is from our experience going from Jackson, Ca to Tahoe.

Yes, same here. Also I find that cruise-controlling at 55 mph regardless of speed limit really helps. As long as I don't go above 40A, the roadster seems to eat up LESS ideal miles than actual miles.

Yes, same here. Also I find that cruise-controlling at 55 mph regardless of speed limit really helps. As long as I don't go above 40A, the roadster seems to eat up LESS ideal miles than actual miles.

For road tripping in the Roadster, being willing to set the cruise control at 55 or maybe 60 and hang out in the right lane is important for your overall speed during the day. On my trip, I found it quite a relaxing way to drive, as you rarely overtake anybody at that speed, so you can go for what seems like hours and never touch the brakes or need to fiddle with the cruise (or get Model S with the traffic ACC - I digress). One observation I'll make - I did like to slow down on occasion when being passed by semis - help them get by me more quickly, and minimize the time that the 2 of us were driving next to each other, especially on roads with only 2 lanes (and maybe grab a bit of a draft when they're by, though at 55, they roll on down the road without me mostly :)).

For road tripping in the Roadster, being willing to set the cruise control at 55 or maybe 60 and hang out in the right lane is important for your overall speed during the day. On my trip, I found it quite a relaxing way to drive, as you rarely overtake anybody at that speed, so you can go for what seems like hours and never touch the brakes or need to fiddle with the cruise (or get Model S with the traffic ACC - I digress). One observation I'll make - I did like to slow down on occasion when being passed by semis - help them get by me more quickly, and minimize the time that the 2 of us were driving next to each other, especially on roads with only 2 lanes (and maybe grab a bit of a draft when they're by, though at 55, they roll on down the road without me mostly :)).

Yea, that's exactly how I've been driving!

Yea, that's exactly how I've been driving!

One idea for you Xytor, if you have the extra time. I took Hwy 101 north between LA and San Francisco. That's where the 70A chargers are located, and I think that's how every body drives their Roadsters between the two areas.

Assuming you'll be using 101 as well, this creates an opportunity. From the Atascadero Rabobank to the Salinas Rabobank is about 100 or 110 miles via 101. Or about 150 miles via Hwy 1! So if you have the time for a bit of a detour, you can range charge at Atascadero and have a bit of a sight seeing trip right along the coast. In fact, if I remember my geography correctly, the road you'll use to get from the coast back to Salinas takes you right by the front driveway into Laguna Seca. At least when I went by, I was able to drive up the hill and park my car in front of the sign and get a picture there :) (And then right back down the hill and back on the road - ah well). And that's after 3+ hours of sharp twisties with the ocean crashing off your left shoulder.

I would range charge as you'll be doing plenty of up and downing, though the actual speed you can drive (or at least that I was able to drive when I made that run) is low enough, that you still get reasonably close to Ideal Miles.

It'll take you 3-5 hours to cover what would otherwise be a 2 hour stretch of road, so it won't help you if you're on a mission to get home. But is sure is a pretty stretch of highway.

You don't even need to stop in Atascadero. You can get a full charge at 70A in San Luis Obispo, and head toward the coast from there (more direct than going through Atascadero). After going up highway 1, you can go west into Carmel Valley to the Carmel Valley Ranch Lodge which has an HPC as well. It is a nice place to stop and take a walk and/or eat in their restaurant. There is another hillside pass (Laurels Grade - nice road for Roadster) cutting between Carmel valley and Laguna Seca.

ranch-lodge.png

On that map TEG, the red X marks the spot for that charger you mention, correct? (As opposed to "don't stop here - here there be dragons" - or something like that)

Wish I'd known about (or thought to ask) while I was on the trip a couple of years back - I'd have gone with the alternative you describe. (Or maybe the charger at that Lodge is newish - that stretch of Hwy 1 was a desert for charging when I drove it awhile back).

For road tripping in the Roadster, being willing to set the cruise control at 55 or maybe 60 and hang out in the right lane is important for your overall speed during the day. On my trip, I found it quite a relaxing way to drive, as you rarely overtake anybody at that speed...

Around where I live it's all two-lane highways. So... If I set the cruise control on 60 then there's gonna be an awful lot of people zipping past doing 80, or else stacking up behind me waiting for a chance to get around. Not so relaxing.

CableJive has three variations of the charge converter. This is the one I have been using since years ago with an iPhone 4S. (Before that, with an iPhone 3G, I used a similar device from Scosche, but it introduced annoying background noise with the 4S). With the JVC head unit that came in the Sig 100 cars, it works to charge the iPhone and to play audio through the dock connector. In earlier times it was necessary to switch the JVC head unit from "iPod" mode to "external audio" mode because the iPod control protocol did not work, but improvements in iOS fixed that for the 4S. Recently I got an iPhone 6 and added on Apple's 8-inch 30-pin-to-lightning cable, and that works, too.

I think now that the link I provided in my earlier post (#16) was to the right page but the wrong model. That was for CableJive's dockStubz 30-Pin Basic. That one might not include the 12V Firewire to 5V USB charging conversion. The Plus model does include that function.