Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, My second DU has the milling noise & its getting louder, I have been asking for a replacement but I have been denied, I guess I am supposed to be annoyed everytime I drive the car until someone at Tesla finally approves a swap...I need to wait until I am outside of acceptable specs (whatever the hell that means).
Just to verify: is your milling-noise unit a pre-Q model?
(If not, it would be the first Q unit with reported problems so that would be important to know.)

If it is an older unit, escalate. The damage is actually dangerous in the long run.

Reactions: apacheguy
Original DU developed the "clunk clunk" sound & was replaced with my current version N that has the milling so I have been fortunate to experience both DU sounds, add my balloon squeal from the battery contractors & I have the makings of a Tesla band.

I don't think the milling issue was actually fixed until -Q, so I'm not surprised that you're seeing the issue in a -N.

Reactions: neroden and idoco
Are you relying on a lack of reports (to date) of milling from Q version DUs or do you have some other reason to believe the milling issue is actually "fixed" ?

A little bit of both. There have been no reports, but as someone who has gone through 7 drive unit replacements and now have a -Q, by this point in age and milage, I would have already had a problem with the drive unit and I haven't. I know I'm a sample size of 1, but this -Q has been excellent. I'm hoping it will be my last drive unit.

A little bit of both. There have been no reports, but as someone who has gone through 7 drive unit replacements and now have a -Q, by this point in age and milage, I would have already had a problem with the drive unit and I haven't. I know I'm a sample size of 1, but this -Q has been excellent. I'm hoping it will be my last drive unit.
Thanks. Here's hoping your seventh is your last!

I have an appointment for my 6th replacement. But at one visit they swapped it out twice. They put in a new one, noticed it was also noisy and swapped it out again. After the next appointment my car will have it's 8th drive unit.

As long as you get a -Q (or later if such a thing exists), I think this will be your last. 5 months and 12k miles on the -Q so far and it's been perfectly quiet. I've never gone 12k miles on a drive unit without starting to hear something, so it's very promising.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
I had mine replaced a month or two ago (June 2016?)

2013 P85, P007XXX

Approximately 45k miles at time of replacement. March 2013 production.

The car was a CPO, I picked it up with 42,333 miles in February. I don't know if was replaced prior to my ownership.