Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit replacement - getting better?

My drive unit was replaced and my car was produced:

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • 1Q 2013

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • 2Q 2013

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • 3Q 2013

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • 4Q 2013

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • 1Q 2014

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • 2Q 2014

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • 3Q 2014

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • 4Q 2014

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • 1Q 2015

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 2Q 2015

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • 3Q 2015

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 4Q 2015

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clunk every once in a while, but i have a whining noise, high pitch. It has always been there. Was told by service that all tesla's do this. Like a whistle at times. I thinks it is the sound generator to let people know I'm there. I have brought it up several times but it's still going. 18k since I bought it 35k now. First quarter 2013. I guess I am the Whiner.

already posted in the other poll thread but chiming in here too... (I agree this poll is probably more informative than the other)

my 70D was built 11/15. Rear drive unit failed end of Oct/16 at about 13000km.

No strange noises in days prior, simply got a dash warning saying rear motor disabled, reduced power while driving <60kph up a slight hill on city street. Was able to drive home on front motor only. I was also able to park the car, then resume driving again on front motor (though I did not exit the car so it did not completely power off at the time). But after I got home, the next day car would not go into drive. Problem was diagnosed as internal inverter failure and the rear motor was replaced.

My CPO P85+ had the drive unit replaced in August of this year...typical clunk noise folks complain of. It was a little annoying since whenI drove it off te lot a week earlier it was ridiculously obvious. I think the final step in the CPO process is "wait for owner to buy car and bring it back for issues".

Well, the time has come on our early 2013 to get a replacement for noise.
No issues at all with the drive unit function, just the noise has increased over the past 6 months.
Tesla checked it out on Friday and agreed it qualifies to be replaced, but the tech did note there is no loss of function or any hint of malfunction.
Tesla is amazing, a company will replace a major part that is slightly noisier than when it left the factory.
Very impressed.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
already posted in the other poll thread but chiming in here too... (I agree this poll is probably more informative than the other)

my 70D was built 11/15. Rear drive unit failed end of Oct/16 at about 13000km.

No strange noises in days prior, simply got a dash warning saying rear motor disabled, reduced power while driving <60kph up a slight hill on city street. Was able to drive home on front motor only. I was also able to park the car, then resume driving again on front motor (though I did not exit the car so it did not completely power off at the time). But after I got home, the next day car would not go into drive. Problem was diagnosed as internal inverter failure and the rear motor was replaced.
Well, this is alarming. (Then again, there are lots of 2015's out there)

I hope you were racing it.