Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drilled and Slotted performance brake rotor for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I'm waiting for my Performance Model 3, I'm trying to see if there is anyone out there that have made Performance "drilled and slotted" brake rotor yet? I have only found slotted so far.

1. Mountain Pass has a 2-piece slotted rotor for ~$1050. Would cost ~$2100 for front and rear set. These look good but are just slotted and I'm looking for drilled and slotted.
MPP 320mm Front 2 Piece Rotor PRE-ORDER

2. Found another one from EVTunning, this is slotted too
Model 3 MPP Front Brake Rotor Upgrade

3. Unplugged seemed to be the only one having a drilled rotor, but it is carbon ceramic and obviously costs $$$ (~$9k)
Unplugged Performance Superlight Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit for Model 3

Could not find any by either Brembo or StopTech.

Here is a snapshot of what I'm looking for. If anyone is looking for something similar and managed to find a product, please let me know.
sport-drilled-slotted-rotors.jpg

While I'm waiting for my Performance Model 3, I'm trying to see if there is anyone out there that have made Performance "drilled and slotted" brake rotor yet? I have only found slotted so far.

1. Mountain Pass has a 2-piece slotted rotor for ~$1050. Would cost ~$2100 for front and rear set. These look good but are just slotted and I'm looking for drilled and slotted.
MPP 320mm Front 2 Piece Rotor PRE-ORDER

2. Found another one from EVTunning, this is slotted too
Model 3 MPP Front Brake Rotor Upgrade

3. Unplugged seemed to be the only one having a drilled rotor, but it is carbon ceramic and obviously costs $$$ (~$9k)
Unplugged Performance Superlight Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit for Model 3

Could not find any by either Brembo or StopTech.

Here is a snapshot of what I'm looking for. If anyone is looking for something similar and managed to find a product, please let me know.
View attachment 323079

What does this get you ? Based on the RT article on track mode ..looks like the car is taking care of the braking mainly thru modulating Power across the motors ..I get these on an ICE track car ..but other than looks not sure worth the 2k plus ...:eek:

Stock brakes are gonna cool faster than the battery anyway, unless you just want them for aesthetics which is fine.

Edit: we posted at the same time, yeah, I think you have already hit on the major issue, that being that they tend to cost a pretty penny. You could always drop a line to TSportline or whatever and see what they have to say about it.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Stock brakes are gonna cool faster than the battery anyway, unless you just want them for aesthetics which is fine.

Edit: we posted at the same time, yeah, I think you have already hit on the major issue, that being that they tend to cost a pretty penny. You could always drop a line to TSportline or whatever and see what they have to say about it.

Thats what I was planning to do, call both Tsportline and MPP (have to email them though, they dont have a number). But was also hoping there is atleast one more TMC member out there who is looking for one and perhaps found something.

Go with MPP and be done with it. ;)

Nahh those are overpriced for what value they add ..all these EV “tuners” just OEM this stuff and slap a label ..ie the MPP suspension is made by Kw ..if this was a GT3 etc I get paying for better brakes for track ..but aesthetics <$1k ...Rims will make the brakes look better ;)

Here comes the rice...

Please google drilled rotors...you’ll learn that you are taking surface area from the pad thus reducing your brake efficiency....plus your car is not a track car where you’ll have issues with heat...

Yes I'm aware of the difference, thanks. I dont plan to take it to a Track (albeit the track mode), in regular street driving either rotor shouldnt have any issue. If I'm pushing hard in a track, then then every mm of surface area matters.

Drilled also leaves sharp edges that are great places for cracks to form and reducing thermal mass is only something you want to do on light vehicles with huge brakes. Porsche actually has a measurement of how long the cracks can be before replacement is necessary.

Far as asthetics, yeah all the extra brake dust from all those edges on drilled or slotted really makes a car look good.

If you have to have the look look for dimpled rather than drilled

• Informative
Reactions: hocr and hdAge
..hey now :oops:...This thread was about drilled rotors ..not ten foot spoilers :eek:

To wash their own, but it’s just a matter of time before this starts happening.

I have predicted the TM3 to be the next Honda Civic, something that is affordable to the masses, great aftermarket support, and every yahoo trying to put everything on their car from wings to pretty much everything else just cause it’s available.

I saw a TM3 the other day with 15 inch brake rotors with 6 piston calibers and stock crappy tires and obviously is only driven on the street..Looks like he got bit hard by the rice bug. Can’t wait to see him try to brake in an emergency with this brake and tires setup...brakes don’t stop a car, tires and their contact patch do...just remember that.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA