Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door storage space needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No slip material is not going to cut it. I don't know how you drive but things definitely need to be wedged in, packed in or tied down to keep them from flying around the cabin. I did't buy a P85+ to go slow. As I mentioned above, I do have the homelinks programmed.

Hmm, I don't get mine until Monday, but its not a P85, just a S85, but probably still an issue. Guess its a bigger issue than I thought. I'm not a pig in a car but do like to be well prepared with charge cords, umbrella, napkins, etc. Im wait listed on the center console thing from Tesla. Last I heard I was not getting it until August at the earliest. Not sure why its that hard to make.

With 4 young kids my previous cars looked like garbage dumps. I am SOOOOO relieved that my S85 doesn't have storage space (can't believe I'm saying that because it was the one thing I was really really annoyed about when considering buying the car)! For the first time EVER, my rules when we got a new car about "no food, no junk in the car" and "what comes in comes out" are actually working. My car is the cleanest "room" in our house and it's awesome.

I thought I'd miss a center storage console and even bought something at Target when I first got it, but it was the wrong size and when I returned it, I realized I didn't need it.

This is where I store my stuff:

center console area: car cleaning wipes, and my handbag when I'm in the car
shelf under screen: sunglasses, gum and EZ Pass
glove box: insurance cards, screen microfiber cloth
Rear wheel wells: cord adapters, rear window shade, small umbrella, (I could fit a lot more, like an extra UMC cord, which I should get)

I do want to get a little portable handheld vac so I can clean up crumbs in between car washes/detailing.

I do want to get a little portable handheld vac so I can clean up crumbs in between car washes/detailing.
I got one of these, which is fantastic: Amazon.com - Black Decker Platinum BDH2000FL 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Flex Vacuum - Black And Decker Vacuum
I keep it in the house, though, and bring it out when I need it. I'd tried many different 12V (cigarette lighter port) vacuums over the years and they just don't have enough power.

This is my favorite goodie to hide in the car, though: Cooper Lighting LED130 Might-D-Light 80-LED Cordless Rechargeable Folding Worklight - Portable Work Lights - Amazon.com
Sometimes the interior is dark, or you want to check on something around the car at night. Come in handy a few times, and fits snugly in the left bonus area in the trunk along with the UMC bag.

[Repost]

Here is my default MS Cockpit usage, only thing missing in this photo is my Navigator.

Main Feature is the Hand Pack with cameras, cellphone & charger, can of dog food, empty bean bags for free cups @SBUX, 18650 flashlite (in case someone asks "what is the battery like?"), yellow night-vision prescription eyeglasses, spare key & batts (with no batts in key), and LED lantern (with red flashing option). Hand Pack remains in the car until we get home. In parking lots I might place it on rear floor behind driver's seat where it is invisible.

Water jug, dog leash (reel type) and garbage bag (which also serves as dog airbag) round out the accessories. [found the vacuum!].

MS.center.console.jpg

Don't need no steenkin' door pockets!!
--

This is an old thread. Now that the Model X is out and it has door pockets, does anyone think that the Model S will follow? I could use the storage space on my new 85D. Sunglasses, key cards, etc. The new seats no longer have that nice little pocket for some of these things. I definitely will have a center console, but I like several places for items.

This is an old thread. Now that the Model X is out and it has door pockets, does anyone think that the Model S will follow? I could use the storage space on my new 85D. Sunglasses, key cards, etc. The new seats no longer have that nice little pocket for some of these things. I definitely will have a center console, but I like several places for items.
I don't anticipate such a change happening on it's own, however if/when we get a full MS re-design (expected about 5-10 years in) I expect they'll probably include such things then.

Yes, 5-10 years seems about right.
I believe the original stated target was 6 years, however Tesla time being what it is, more seems likely. 6 years would be 2018, however I think they'll have their hands full with model 3 around that time (I don't believe model 3 will be in full production until 2019) and I expect them to wait to finish model 3 before devoting resources to a model S refresh.

This seems like such a simple thing though. Just a door panel. The space for pockets is already there. I remember seeing a company offering an aftermarket door panel. Am I correct? Though, I wouldn't do such a thing on a lease, which is my next car.

This seems like such a simple thing though. Just a door panel. The space for pockets is already there. I remember seeing a company offering an aftermarket door panel. Am I correct? Though, I wouldn't do such a thing on a lease, which is my next car.
Tesla is inundated with "simple things" that the Tesla needs, this is so far down the priority list as to be invisible. The only way this will be addressed is in a full refresh where they're re-thinking everything anyway.

That said, I should look in to aftermarket door pockets more, I bet it wouldn't be horribly difficult to retrofit (though it would require overcoming a fair amount of nerves cutting a hole in the door panel of a $100k car.... :scared:)

Tesla is inundated with "simple things" that the Tesla needs, this is so far down the priority list as to be invisible. The only way this will be addressed is in a full refresh where they're re-thinking everything anyway.

That said, I should look in to aftermarket door pockets more, I bet it wouldn't be horribly difficult to retrofit (though it would require overcoming a fair amount of nerves cutting a hole in the door panel of a $100k car.... :scared:)
It's just leather and plastic. And money. I wonder how much a replacement door panel costs?

Took almost 6 months to replace my door panel on the F drivers side as a due bill item from my CPO 2013 P85 purchase. Maybe retaining clips location changed over the years or something we can't see. Not sure, but I live near the Fremont factory. Can't tell me there aren't any door panels around.