Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't trust automatic gear selection on refreshed Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a very bright question,

Yeah the Tesla sympathizers are weird. They don't seem to understand that It's okay to like a product while admitting it has faults.

If the system is going to automatically select your direction of travel, it needs to do that reliably - or it's an annoyance not worth having. I shouldn't need to double-check its actions every single time.

And if it can't even determine that I shouldn't drive straight forward into a bright green truck parked right in front of it, it's definitely on the annoyance side.

Last edited:
Any more synonyms for “fanboy” that you can call me? That was sweet reference to Trump as well, well done.

Fair enough, not appropriate, I take that back. With that said, I do stand by the statement that it's okay to admit these cars have faults. Just because he didn't drive into the parked car doesn't mean it's okay that the vehicle selected the wrong direction of travel. For a company that's releasing a 'beta' software to take full autonomous control of your vehicle, having a gear selector that is inclined to slam you into a parked car when the other direction is clear....seems silly.

There is never ending line of critics no matter of what is the subject. Is it human nature? Probably. Some people like to
complain while others do something to fix the problems. Did you contact Tesla and let them know about? Did you submit bug report? Thank you if you did.

Fair enough, not appropriate, I take that back. With that said, I do stand by the statement that it's okay to admit these cars have faults. Just because he didn't drive into the parked car doesn't mean it's okay that the vehicle selected the wrong direction of travel. For a company that's releasing a 'beta' software to take full autonomous control of your vehicle, having a gear selector that is inclined to slam you into a parked car when the other direction is clear....seems silly.
Inclined to slam you into someone, how would that happen? Unless of course you closed your eyes and floored it.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and WhiteWi
Inclined to slam you into someone, how would that happen? Unless of course you closed your eyes and floored it.

Of course you can manually intervene. If you accelerated into a parked car because the "car told you to," well that's a new level of stupid.

That's not my point. My point is -- with all of the sensors and ADAS functions this car has, you shouldn't even be in that situation. A function as simple as deciding which direction is open for travel should not require double checking. For christ's sake, the car is supposed to drive you through San Francisco streets without killing someone, shouldn't it be able to say "i should go in reverse, there's a car in front of me?" Or at least: "when I was parked, the last gear I was in was Fwd....so I probably need to engage Reverse to back out." t's pretty simple. And if it does require manual double checking, it's likely not ready for primetime.

Reactions: gnxs and Greg29
Of course you can manually intervene. If you accelerated into a parked car because the "car told you to," well that's a new level of stupid.

That's not my point. My point is -- with all of the sensors and ADAS functions this car has, you shouldn't even be in that situation. A function as simple as deciding which direction is open for travel should not require double checking. For christ's sake, the car is supposed to drive you through San Francisco streets without killing someone, shouldn't it be able to say "i should go in reverse, there's a car in front of me?" Or at least: "when I was parked, the last gear I was in was Fwd....so I probably need to engage Reverse to back out." t's pretty simple. And if it does require manual double checking, it's likely not ready for primetime.
I've never had it choose incorrectly in the situations you reference. When I nose into a parking space or in my garage, it gets it right. Only cases it hasn't gotten in right is parallel parking for instance or if there are cars offset to the front. These descriptions of "there was a car right behind me and Tesla selected reverse" are meaningless without an explanation of the circumstances. How was the car parked? What was in front of it?

Just scary language that the car chose to point you toward an impending accident. "slam you into someone, that's the picture you painted. It's not an intervention, the car isn't moving, you are choosing to move the car. This selection is on cars that currently do not have full FSD so no, it's not meant to drive you through San Francisco streets.

• Disagree
Glad it hasn't happened to you, but @Bigjohn892 had it happen to him multiple times, and documented it in post #22 with a picture.

That's what I'm referencing.
I’ve said that it has selected the wrong direction for me, but at no time was anyone in danger. It didn’t hurl me in the wrong direction. Even if I hadn’t noticed I certainly would have if I rolled into the throttle. The car may have moved an inch before I would realize it was moving the opposite of what I wanted and I would have stopped. This is very easy to understand.

• Disagree
I’ve said that it has selected the wrong direction for me, but at no time was anyone in danger. It didn’t hurl me in the wrong direction. Even if I hadn’t noticed I certainly would have if I rolled into the throttle. The car may have moved an inch before I would realize it was moving the opposite of what I wanted and I would have stopped. This is very easy to understand.

Dude. I get it. It doesn't just automatically throttle you into a parked car.

However, it *does* connect all the pieces for you to do it yourself, when by all intents and purposes, you'd expect that it would be smart enough to select the direction where there isn't a parked car.

I think I'm having a technology discussion (software should be able to identify the reasonable direction of travel), and you're having a user discussion (don't be a moron and accelerate into a parked car). I completely agree that you can easily mitigate the problem by double checking it put you in the right gear. But if it was a fully baked release, you shouldn't have to.

At any rate, I'm tired of this, best of luck out there.

Dude. I get it. It doesn't just automatically throttle you into a parked car.

However, it *does* connect all the pieces for you to do it yourself, when by all intents and purposes, you'd expect that it would be smart enough to select the direction where there isn't a parked car.

I think I'm having a technology discussion (software should be able to identify the reasonable direction of travel), and you're having a user discussion (don't be a moron and accelerate into a parked car). I completely agree that you can easily mitigate the problem by double checking it put you in the right gear. But if it was a fully baked release, you shouldn't have to.

At any rate, I'm tired of this, best of luck out there.
I sense you are frustrated. Just know I simply react to the parts of your statements that aren’t true or are misleading.

I sense you are frustrated. Just know I simply react to the parts of your statements that aren’t true or are misleading.

I understand you feel that way...you're laser focused on an obvious and intended exaggeration, and not the real point. But none of this is worth any more of either of our time. In my case, I'd just turn the feature off and select my own gear. I enjoy driving, and like having 'manual control' purely from an experience standpoint.

Coming from an E39 M5, If I could get a 6 speed manual S, that'd be my dream. Though that's hyperbole, just like the "automatically slam into a parked car" comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: captjoemcd
I understand you feel that way...you're laser focused on an obvious and intended exaggeration, and not the real point. But none of this is worth any more of either of our time. In my case, I'd just turn the feature off and select my own gear. I enjoy driving, and like having 'manual control' purely from an experience standpoint.

Coming from an E39 M5, If I could get a 6 speed manual S, that'd be my dream. Though that's hyperbole, just like the "automatically slam into a parked car" comment.
I am with you. I’d like to manually select gears. No one was asking for an auto gear selection, but a genius at Tesla thought that’s really cool, and it is obvious they did not test this much.

Used to drive a friend’s E60 M5 all the time, and it was a fantastic car to drive. I get what you mean about the E39 M5.

I went for a small but nimble E46 325i with sport package in 2005, but replaced that with a Model S in 2013. Bought a 2018 3 to make for an all electric garage.

I will test drive the new S and see how I like it. I am getting some free time tomorrow. 😊

• Funny
Reactions: lbowroom
I am with you. I’d like to manually select gears. No one was asking for an auto gear selection, but a genius at Tesla thought that’s really cool, and it is obvious they did not test this much.

Used to drive a friend’s E60 M5 all the time, and it was a fantastic car to drive. I get what you mean about the E39 M5.

I went for a small but nimble E46 325i with sport package in 2005, but replaced that with a Model S in 2013. Bought a 2018 3 to make for an all electric garage.

I will test drive the new S and see how I like it. I am getting some free time tomorrow. 😊
Awesome, give the feature a try on your test drive tomorrow. It’s not on by default, ask the sales associate to show you where it is in the menu.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Awesome, give the feature a try on your test drive tomorrow. It’s not on by default, ask the sales associate to show you where it is in the menu.
I sure will. I drive cars very fast through the twisties and over rough surfaces and bumps. Handling, suspension tuning, and NVH are my main concerns, as well as steering feel. Straight line acceleration is fun, but I’m not really into that.
Either way, I’m bound to have fun.

Reactions: jebinc
Glad it hasn't happened to you, but @Bigjohn892 had it happen to him multiple times, and documented it in post #22 with a picture.

That's what I'm referencing.
Had it happen for the third time. Each one shows how far the obstruction is.

Attachments

• IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Dan D.