Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla sell this Paint Protection Kit for the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly? Teslas are no different from any other vehicle. Exception appears to be lower rear rocker area of early model 3's.
But based on what I've seen on multiple loaners (admittely all Model S's) that I've had, some 2013's with 80k + miles? I noticed no difference in rock chip/stone chip damage than any other cars Ive seen/owned for many years.

PPF is very pricey. Cant see myself paying several thousand dollars for PPF when Im not going to get that back when I sell the car.
I recently sold a couple cars..one a AMG from 2006 with 113k miles and all original paint and never PPF. The other a Rx350 with 109k miles from 2011. No PPF. I washed both well, waxed them well, and both sold FAST to private buyers for above book value. 100% positive that PPF wouldnt have gotten me higher price on either...

Reactions: laservet
Honestly? Teslas are no different from any other vehicle. Exception appears to be lower rear rocker area of early model 3's.
But based on what I've seen on multiple loaners (admittely all Model S's) that I've had, some 2013's with 80k + miles? I noticed no difference in rock chip/stone chip damage than any other cars Ive seen/owned for many years.

PPF is very pricey. Cant see myself paying several thousand dollars for PPF when Im not going to get that back when I sell the car.
I recently sold a couple cars..one a AMG from 2006 with 113k miles and all original paint and never PPF. The other a Rx350 with 109k miles from 2011. No PPF. I washed both well, waxed them well, and both sold FAST to private buyers for above book value. 100% positive that PPF wouldnt have gotten me higher price on either...

I just sold an Outback and the interior was in perfect shape but the outside was beat up from sun and sea where I live. That's why I started thinking about PPF. I have an appointment for doing it that is $1500 to cover entire front, doors and tail gate area. Plus they do a center console wrap. Seems like a good deal but is still $1500 more than I have ever spent on paint maintenance.

I just sold an Outback and the interior was in perfect shape but the outside was beat up from sun and sea where I live. That's why I started thinking about PPF. I have an appointment for doing it that is $1500 to cover entire front, doors and tail gate area. Plus they do a center console wrap. Seems like a good deal but is still $1500 more than I have ever spent on paint maintenance.
Im on east coast in mid atlantic area so I dont have the same issues re Sun/Sea. So I guess it really all depends on various factors.
I can say that on a car I sold 4 years ago (2003 BMW 540), the front bumper was the only thing that wasnt really pristine on the car. Not so much due to stone chips, but parking lot curb cracks on lower edges. I spent $199 on a replica replacement from ebay, had it painted for $190 at a local shop that cut me a deal as it was easy work. (wasnt on car, no masking, minimal prep, etc). Did the labor (easy) myself. In that scenario, a brand new bumper cover with fresh paint was cheaper than PPF would have been. And PPF would not have stopped the parking lot curb cracks...

Somewhat apples to oranges as that wasnt Tesla...but another data point that I used when personally evaluating PPF for me..

Great film with ceramic topcoat - glistens
DYNOshield Hydrophobic Paint Protection Film | STEK USA

Better than 3M and XPEL for less cost

I'm happy with it.

DYNOshield Specifications
  • Glossy Finish
  • Hydrophobic (Advanced water-repelling properties)
  • Anti-Contamination (Easy to remove contaminants)
  • Stain Resistant
  • Fast Recovery Self - Healing (by heat or hot water)
10 Year Warranty:
DYNOshield paint protection film is warrantied for 10 Years against delamination, yellowing, bubbling and cracking.

Great film with ceramic topcoat - glistens
DYNOshield Hydrophobic Paint Protection Film | STEK USA

Better than 3M and XPEL for less cost

I'm happy with it.

DYNOshield Specifications
  • Glossy Finish
  • Hydrophobic (Advanced water-repelling properties)
  • Anti-Contamination (Easy to remove contaminants)
  • Stain Resistant
  • Fast Recovery Self - Healing (by heat or hot water)
10 Year Warranty:
DYNOshield paint protection film is warrantied for 10 Years against delamination, yellowing, bubbling and cracking.
Where are you getting the "Better than 3M and XPEL" info from?

Where are you getting the "Better than 3M and XPEL" info from?

From looking at it and feeling it.

This is the first time I have used the dyno shield and from my observation, it is a superior product to the 3M and XPEL products I have used as my five previous PPFs. Competition produces better (and less costly) products and I am happy to see someone has come out with a better product. As I stated. "I am very happy with it." and with the 10-year warranty.

Also I gathered information from individuals who have recently used it and from several installers who say it is much easier to work with.
Hey, having the final coat of it ceramic is like getting the ceramic shine for free. My previous installers charged me extra for the ceramic on top of the PPF.

It passes the towel test.

Other than that it's pure speculation.

I must admit, I did not get to use my Space Buddy pocket glare meter to measure it's reflective capability to the nearest lumen or my handy stretch meter to measure it's tensile strength. Time will tell.

From looking at it and feeling it.

This is the first time I have used the dyno shield and from my observation, it is a superior product to the 3M and XPEL products I have used as my five previous PPFs. Competition produces better (and less costly) products and I am happy to see someone has come out with a better product. As I stated. "I am very happy with it." and with the 10-year warranty.

Also I gathered information from individuals who have recently used it and from several installers who say it is much easier to work with.
Hey, having the final coat of it ceramic is like getting the ceramic shine for free. My previous installers charged me extra for the ceramic on top of the PPF.

It passes the towel test.

Other than that it's pure speculation.

I must admit, I did not get to use my Space Buddy pocket glare meter to measure it's reflective capability to the nearest lumen or my handy stretch meter to measure it's tensile strength. Time will tell.

i guess the issue is i never seent it in any shop so 1.) has to be special order 2.) the installer might not be familiar with it

Aside from that is there a matte/stealth version? Would be interesting to look into it