Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model S use Tire Pressure Sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the Watertown, MA service center today, specifically to ask if they had any "used" 19" wheels/tires/TPMS, as I'm trying to prepare for winter 2013/2014 (the best time to buy snow tires/wheels is when no one else is). I was told they didn't have anything used/refurbished, but I could buy new 19" wheels for $275, and TPMS sensors for $125 each, so there is the "official" Tesla service center pricing. I also checked "tirerack.com", and they now show a set of 4 Tesla Model S TPMS sensors for $384

Advanti Racing 15 Anniversary Black Painted

"Your system includes:

433MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$388.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $388.00

Additional Information

If you purchase a Tire & Wheel Package when you buy new sensors, the sensors will be installed on the wheels at no additional charge. Otherwise, you will have to arrange for installation by a trained technician after your new wheels are shipped to you. Tire Rack's Recommended Installers are available to help you with your installation needs and can be selected by ZIP Code in the shopping cart.

Once installed, you will need to read your vehicle's owner's manual to review the proper procedure for allowing your vehicle to "recognize" the new sensors."

Last edited:
Tirerack didn't offer a TPMS sensor that was compatible with the MS last week. It must be a recent add. Tirerack is showing availability due 5/14.

The "ITM 433Mhz TPMS"' sensors are all over eBay for about $170 for a set of 4, the ITM application guide doesn't list "Tesla" yet, but I would be surprised if these didn't work, they seem to be universal and programmable... Application guide:
http://itmautoparts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2013-ITM-2.4.pdf

Some info about these TPMS sensors: What is Uni-sensor? | ITM AUTOPARTS

Here is their programming tool as well: Sensor AID Spec. | ITM AUTOPARTS

Yesterday morning our Model S with 19" factory tires popped up a warning message about low tire pressure. My husband saw the warning, and said it went away after a minute or so. Nevertheless, he decided to take the Prius instead, leaving me to put air in the tires. It was about 55, maybe 60 degrees F outside.

This morning I checked the existing pressure, and the lowest one was 41.5 PSI at about 65 degrees F. The sticker on the door says to inflate to 45 PSI cold for all four tires, so that's what I brought them up to today.

So my question is twofold:

1) At what pressure should the sensors produce a warning? and if the warning is set to be lower than 41.5 PSI, might one of my sensors be malfunctioning?

(To our fearless moderatorss: Not sure if this should have been a new thread, if so I apologize and please feel free to split it apart! Thanks!)

1) At what pressure should the sensors produce a warning? and if the warning is set to be lower than 41.5 PSI, might one of my sensors be malfunctioning?

The standard setting (from the NHTSA) is 25% less than the vehicle placard pressure. However, that's a pretty dumb alert setting in my opinion because by the time the tire is that low it's possible that it has been structurally damaged. I'm not sure what the TPMS on my Model S is set at, but I don't want it to be more than a couple of psi less than the placard pressure.

Tire pressure recommendations are always based on an ambient temperature is 65F. So the TPMS was correct to tell you that your tires were low. As temperatures rise, inflation pressure should be increased to compensate.

The first cars were configured with ~38 PSI, and a service bulletin later told the service centers to reprogram the TPMS system to 36.5, I believe. It may be 38.5 and 36. This was performed in late December or early January on my car.

Here's email I got from my local Tesla service advisor on August 24, 2012 when I asked about TMPS pricing:

Hi Chad,

The TPMS sensors for the standard 19'' wheel are $48.97 each (pre-tax). Let me know how else I can help.

Best,

Perhaps they just raised their prices since then. Then again, different people have quoted different prices...perhaps it varies by location? I heard that they did that with tires before, adjusting to "local" prices. Either way, it sounds like the safest thing to do is call your local service center and ask.