Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model 3 turning signal lever lockable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

privater

2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner
Jun 22, 2016
CA
After a week driving, one thing I hate most is the turning signal lever, it can't lock into place when pushing further.

I rechecked the manual, it says this lever should be lockable when push further:
Model_3_Owners_Manual__page_49_of_162_.png

I'm not sure if it's a hardware malfunction or intentional design. does anyone have the same experience?

Wait, so the turn signals don’t lock down? I don’t have a model 3, but that doesn’t seem to make any sense. What if you’re sitting at a red light waiting to make a turn? Do you need to hold down the lever or leave the signal off?

There are two positions or settings, but no detent or "lock".

If you just move the lever slightly and release, it will blink 2 or 3 times and then stop. If you push the lever all the way to one side or another, the lever will return by itself and the blinker stays on indefinitely and will cancel itself when you go around a corner (like any other car)....

Wait, so the turn signals don’t lock down? I don’t have a model 3, but that doesn’t seem to make any sense. What if you’re sitting at a red light waiting to make a turn? Do you need to hold down the lever or leave the signal off?

They remain on but the lever itself doesn't lock into place. There is no need to hold down the lever. The signal cancels just like in any other car when you complete the turn, but you can also cancel the signal manually by short push up or down.

There are two positions or settings, but no detent or "lock".

If you just move the lever slightly and release, it will blink 2 or 3 times and then stop. If you push the lever all the way to one side or another, the lever will return by itself and the blinker stays on indefinitely and will cancel itself when you go around a corner (like any other car)....

Ah, that’s cool. Seems like a good way to do it really.

I noticed another behavior yesterday. Using auto steer, a firm depress of stalk changes lane (after auto lane change enabled), and then the indicator / blinker turns off automatically after lane change completes. Makes sense, though was a surprise, as I went to turn it off due to Model S behavior.

• Informative
Reactions: privater
I noticed another behavior yesterday. Using auto steer, a firm depress of stalk changes lane (after auto lane change enabled), and then the indicator / blinker turns off automatically after lane change completes. Makes sense, though was a surprise, as I went to turn it off due to Model S behavior.

That's exactly the reason it doesn't lock, so it's fully controllable by the computer.