Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone foresee Model S updates with the Model 3 on the way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I know this sounds like a dumb question. But... does anyone think Model S updates may be coming, in an effort to further differentiate (and justify the cost difference) between the S and 3?

I get the impression that no one really knows about updates until they happen. But have there been any major updates that the Tesla faithful saw coming? AP1 and 2 hardware? The Model S facelift? Or were those just bombs out of no where?

I am one who refuses to believe that the 3 will simply be a smaller S that is magically more affordable. I have recently made the decision to pursue an S, but just want to optimize my timing (as impossible as that may sound to the experienced).

Im pretty positive it won't be until a couple months after the M3 has started production. And people actually like it, I just don't think the MS deserves are Refresh right now they just did the Mid-Cycle Refresh last year. @googleiscoul I also hope not because that means Id have to upgrade my P100D that I've had less than 4 months.

I share similar concern, with the current body style (even with the face lift), it has been practically the same look since 2012. It will be bad if 1-2 months after purchase a Model S, Tesla decided completely new body style for Model S.

My 90D just arrived at the SC and is awaiting delivery to me. I am now getting cold feet because I don't want to miss a huge update that I feel is imminent due to the model 3 introduction in the months ahead.

The model 3 is a 2017 design that can combine years of learning and innovation. Given the barren nature of the dash and various hints from Elon, it will likely feature some nifty new tech that is developer in the months and year. If they just announce that Model 3 will have all these bells and whistles (even though they may be costly options), the price gap between the model 3 and S is too just too wide that no one will buy the Model S anymore. Therefor, I am expecting that they'll say Model 3 will have all these amazing stuff, you can wait your turn to get it in maybe 2018, but if you want it now, we are happy to say all those cool stuff will be available in the S and X if you order them today. So go buy the just improved S and X today!

The issue for me is that the price of the S and X have increased a lot like $7000 CND since I last ordered. That plus the deposit is nearly $10k difference and I have to decide if the potential improvements will justify that.

HUD <- Likely, but no worth $10k
Full interior refresh <- Yes worth $10k, but I don't think that is likely
2170 battery and ultra fast charging <- Unlikely, but maybe not worth it

I'm sure there will be updates to keep the higher price on the Model S justified. If the specs are too similar, the Model S sales would go dead and that's something Tesla will not want. Battier capacity will be higher for sure with the new cells. Performance will always be higher on the Model S. A complete redesign? I think that's quite possible. The Model S has been mostly unchanged for 5 years.

My 90D just arrived at the SC and is awaiting delivery to me. I am now getting cold feet because I don't want to miss a huge update that I feel is imminent due to the model 3 introduction in the months ahead.

The model 3 is a 2017 design that can combine years of learning and innovation. Given the barren nature of the dash and various hints from Elon, it will likely feature some nifty new tech that is developer in the months and year. If they just announce that Model 3 will have all these bells and whistles (even though they may be costly options), the price gap between the model 3 and S is too just too wide that no one will buy the Model S anymore. Therefor, I am expecting that they'll say Model 3 will have all these amazing stuff, you can wait your turn to get it in maybe 2018, but if you want it now, we are happy to say all those cool stuff will be available in the S and X if you order them today. So go buy the just improved S and X today!

The issue for me is that the price of the S and X have increased a lot like $7000 CND since I last ordered. That plus the deposit is nearly $10k difference and I have to decide if the potential improvements will justify that.

HUD <- Likely, but no worth $10k
Full interior refresh <- Yes worth $10k, but I don't think that is likely
2170 battery and ultra fast charging <- Unlikely, but maybe not worth it
Not getting the current Model S is like keeping your Nokia 3320 until you see what the iPhone 8 looks like.
Even the earliest Model S is better than 99.9% of the cars on the road.

Here is my share of speculation:

Base Model 3 not capable of auto-pilot or FSD. I dont think he can afford to "pre-install" the hardware on such a low cost car.
Auto-pilot+FSD will be a 10k option on the NEXT UP model bringing the base price upto 45k.
Base Model 3 will hence not get Auto-high beam, auto-wipers, auto-park, summon
Base Model 3 will not have alloy wheels, full LED lighting
Base car will be RWD with paid AWD option
Smaller wheels all around, seats will be cheaper with lesser support and not as many adjustments
Will not have driver profiles, will be a "premium option" on the higher specs
Interior will look more or less the same as the current Model S, no major changes other than minor details
Smaller screen has already been confirmed
No auto-present door handles or auto-folding mirrors, (mirrors might be a paid option on the next level up)
Base car range will be just above 200 miles, same as S60, I think he has said before he does not want to go below 200
It will do 0-60 in 6+ seconds ensure the Base RWD S60 is faster
No free super-charging, it will be paid from day one for every mile

From there on you can option it out

Premium package, Tech package, EAP and FSD, LED lighting, Warm weather, Cold weather, Alloy wheels, Range upgrade,Fast charging

Basically what I'm speculating is that the 35k car will have the cool look, 200 mile range, fancy touch screen but NOTHING else. You have to move up to the 45k car to even get options. Just my guess.

I think its very important to keep the Model S updated "TECH WISE" first, more so that hardware wise or design wise. I think design wise, it looks fine and it doesnt need much of a change since Model 3 looks to be sharing similar DNA anyway. But the tech needs to be ALWAYS ahead of the 3 with features that trickle down, not the other way around.

Based on all this, I'll say I do not see a Model S/X visual/design refresh anytime soon. I only see more tech updates and features being rolled out via software that will stay ahead of the Model 3

There will be an all new 2nd gen Model S, but most certainly not this year. Tesla should and must focus 100% of its attention on the rolling out and production of the Model 3. The Model 3 will make or break Tesla as a company. The Model 3 roll-out and 1st year production must occur without significant issues from mid 2017 to mid 2018. Honestly Model S sales being cannibalized by Model 3 should not be a concern at the moment. If I were Tesla CFO and forecast that the company can sell 1 million Model 3's while people simply stop buying Model S's for a couple of years, I ll feel all good.

Most premium car brands have generations that last between 7-8 years. It's simply financially stupid to update your cars more frequently than that since it costs a LOT of money to develop and test an entirely new design. Tesla should follow the same formula. In that case, we can expect a new generation Model S in 2019 or 2020. Assuming Model 3 roll-out is generally OK.

Reactions: Sousagil90D
I agree that we only can speculate, to me MS looks need updating beyond facelift. it's the 6th yr of this style, my guess new bodystyle should come within the next 2 yrs. While tech is important, to me the exterior looks also as important.
For M3, tesla should not make anything below 200 miles range, they are competing with Chevy Bolt that already in the market, my colleague has one already.

I think the Model S and X will play the role of test bed for emerging technologies that, if successful, will seep to the mass market Model 3. For example, the side mirror camera replacements seen in the Model X prototypes would more likely appear in the S and X first before being mass produced on the Model 3. Similarly, at some point I imagine the self opening doors on the Model X will appear on the Model S and may never end up on the Model 3.

I can also imagine some more speculative technologies first being introduced and tested on the S and X, such as the long fabled HUD and perhaps electrochromatic glass to replace sun visors (visors are so 20th century).

So in answer to the OPs question, at least for the short term of the next 5 years I would anticipate the Model S and X to continue to receive considerable attention from Tesla. I would think it would play an important rolep in testing and showcasing new technologies, capabilities, and form factors before being adapted to the mass market Model 3 and whatever siblings may come along.

I'm sure there will be updates to keep the higher price on the Model S justified.

I imagine than sooner or later a "Saloon" version will be offered with fully reclined rear seats,
in the manner of first-class airplane seating, especially targeting chauffeur-driven Asian market.
(See below, Lucid Air $160k prototype)

020a12_c2f3ada78c5b4d27bf3e06e058ff9d67-mv2_d_3600_2250_s_2-720x480-c.jpg