Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do You Want Basic, Ludicrous Or Something In Between

Do you want your Model 3 to be:

• Basic $35K model as announced

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • Full-on max performance model

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Something nicely optioned in between

Votes: 66 56.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted for the model 3 to be basic, because meeting the price point is what will accomplish Tesla's objective (accelerating the advent of electric transport - or something like that). It's presence (vs. existance) will financially strangle the car manufacturers that are dragging their feet on mass producing EV's. The new roadster will satisfy my need for a "ludicrous"-ly fun car, so don't need the model 3 to be that.

Like several others, I will be going for the largest range (Since I'll be road-tripping immediately after picking it up) and the Tech package, with Autopilot (if that's a separate option). Other options are nice, but secondary. I'm estimating $50k for my configuration (knowing nothing, of course).

At this stage I want the most basic model (safety, a couple of battery options and a AWD option maybe) and wish for Tesla to concentrate on that version - to get the car to the market as soon as they can. Otherwise they'll spend precious time and R&D on high-end features for Founder and Signature editions and top specs editions when the consumer can go and get all of that in a Model S. If they want to reach the mainstream 500k yearly sales targets (by 2020) - IMO they need to aim at Camrys as an example) initially and go for the BMW 3 series (and similar vehicles) at a later stage. The Signature and special editions can come a little later (12months) once the initial vehicle assembly begins and the Gigafactory is pumping out massive amounts of cells. I know a lot won't agree with me here but I think people (mostly in other threads) are asking a little too much too quickly. They're wanting a slight smaller car (compared to Model S) with similar performance, range and tech in a car that's 35%-50% of the cost and I'm afraid they maybe disappointed. I'm certainly optimistic the Model3 will be a great car overall but only when comparing it to more mainstream 'everyday' cars that the general consumer has. I think their 4th gen vehicle could then bridge the gap from Model 3 to Model S. My thoughts anyway.

I know a lot won't agree with me here ...

I agree with that :wink: Aiming at Camrys at this point simply isn't possible, though the 3 will in fact target many in that segment who will be willing to spend a bit more to have a compelling EV. The 3 still needs to be seen as a premium performance sedan, like a BMW3 series, because Tesla needs enough buyers of the higher end fully optioned models to cover the cost of the technology at this point. I expect Tesla to stick to their plan and do what is necessary, and that means Founders and Signatures and making us lower end plebes wait.

At this stage I want the most basic model (safety, a couple of battery options and a AWD option maybe) and wish for Tesla to concentrate on that version - to get the car to the market as soon as they can. Otherwise they'll spend precious time and R&D on high-end features for Founder and Signature editions and top specs editions when the consumer can go and get all of that in a Model S. If they want to reach the mainstream 500k yearly sales targets (by 2020) - IMO they need to aim at Camrys as an example) initially and go for the BMW 3 series (and similar vehicles) at a later stage. The Signature and special editions can come a little later (12months) once the initial vehicle assembly begins and the Gigafactory is pumping out massive amounts of cells. I know a lot won't agree with me here but I think people (mostly in other threads) are asking a little too much too quickly. They're wanting a slight smaller car (compared to Model S) with similar performance, range and tech in a car that's 35%-50% of the cost and I'm afraid they maybe disappointed. I'm certainly optimistic the Model3 will be a great car overall but only when comparing it to more mainstream 'everyday' cars that the general consumer has. I think their 4th gen vehicle could then bridge the gap from Model 3 to Model S. My thoughts anyway.

It easier than you think.

You start designing the base 35000$ model.
Add 20% more battery cells.... easy
Add more powerfull motor... easy (from a model s)
Add exclusive paint and wheels (can't be easier)
Add leather, electric seats... easy(ask the seats supplier)
Add led lights,park sensor etc... easy (almost every car have this)

And now you have a premium 45000$ model 3. The hard thing is the base model.

though the 3 will in fact target many in that segment who will be willing to spend a bit more to have a compelling EV.

Yeah sorry - that is what inline of what I was meaning - getting the Camry buyers to step up a notch or two on top of just a BMW buyer stepping across as well which is what we all expect. I'm sure there are 5-10 more Camry type consumers than BMW 3 series (equivalent)type buyers out there.