Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you hand wash or car wash your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised you don't end up with swirl marks. From the picture, I can see you don't. (The picture isn't after a polishing, correct?)
I do have a few swirls here and there from not using enough water early on with heavy water spots. Those are why I started using a wet rag to loosen any stuck-on dust (I.e. after a dusty rain). Of course, they are only visible at the right angles within a few feet. I have like 100 rock chips so I am otherwise very content with my “5 foot” paint job finish!

But indeed, the previous and current pictures are what it normally looks like from a “wash!”

IMG_0798.jpeg

Reactions: CyberGus
So does that mean you use Car Wash Mode in your driveway? And can the car be in Park? I mean, I could just try this out myself without bugging you all . . . .

I've washed the truck both ways. I started using Car Wash mode because it kept locking and folding the mirrors if I stepped too far away, and then generating a ton of Sentry events. I was worried about triggering the alarm lol. I could just leave my phone inside of course... but then I wouldn't have my phone.

You must enable "Free Roll" explicitly. It won't just creep away while you're washing it.

Reactions: MAPekala
  • Avoid 20 sentry events - has never happened to me, doesn’t everyone disable Sentry at home?
  • Disable walk-away lock - my car stays locked/mirrors folded while I wash it, I only open it again to dry sills, my last task before putting it back in the garage
  • Keep the charge port closed - has never happened to me, my phone is about 20 feet away in the garage while I’m washing the car
I exclusively hand wash my MY in my driveway, and I’ve never used Car Wash Mode…

Last edited: