Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do tax rebates apply if you lost your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get the Colorado tax credit multiple times. We've gotten it 7 times so far and will be claiming it at least once when filing our taxes again next year.

Technically, I don't think you can buy it with the intention of selling it but if you change your mind and have buyer's remorse and then decide to sell it, it isn't a problem.

So you got $10,000 or more in Colorado EV tax rebates for the same year?

It seems to me that your purchase was fully covered by your insurance company -- I probably wouldn't apply for the rebate for a few thousand bucks. If there's an issue the headache alone would be costlier than that.

It seems to me that your purchase was fully covered by your insurance company -- I probably wouldn't apply for the rebate for a few thousand bucks. If there's an issue the headache alone would be costlier than that.

If there was a profit made from the settlement with my insurance then of course I would have to pay tax on that. But other than that, I have not come across any statute (so far) that prohibits me from claiming the rebate.