Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Some V11 Issues Warrant NHTSHA Reporting? Here's How to Do It.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is in no way bad form. Tesla has changed our cars in ways we neither want or feel is safe....
From what I could see in the long thread of complaining about V11, there were two that could be referenced as related to safety underway - defrost and windshield wipers. As I said earlier, the defrost change is that you have to swipe up to expose the icon, a step that doesn't require looking at the screen ahead of time. The windshield wiper menu pops up if you do a light press of the stalk. Neither change is a monumental or safety related change unless you adhere to the premise that changing anything is "safety" related. and warrants bringing the law down on Tesla.

The new is just as safe as the old. Your "we" does not include me.

This is an exceptionally good time to sell that Tesla which you don't like.
It's a love-hate relationship. I love almost all of the car hardware, most of the software, and much of the UI, but I absolutely hate some of v11 changes, in particular the unsafe whack-a-mole climate control horror show that was thrust upon us. If someone else made equivalent car hardware and software with better UI, I would switch. Tesla can fix this itself if it wants to.

It's a love-hate relationship. I love almost all of the car hardware, most of the software, and much of the UI, but I absolutely hate some of v11 changes, in particular the unsafe whack-a-mole climate control horror show that was thrust upon us. If someone else made equivalent car hardware and software with better UI, I would switch. Tesla can fix this itself if it wants to.

Let me guess, you are that guy who calls the building inspector when you see your neighbor installing his own Wall Charger.

Reactions: Raurele
Can't you just keep the control card up instead of surfing the net or texting if you want to control the car? you can set forth with the features you want up on the screen. You don't need to be doing everything else also if the car is to much for you you could pull over adjust what you need and then resume your trip.
I do agree the wipers should be on a better stalk but if you're a little chilly it doesn't mean you crash the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Boza and smogne41
Can't you just keep the control card up instead of surfing the net or texting if you want to control the car? you can set forth with the features you want up on the screen. You don't need to be doing everything else also if the car is to much for you you could pull over adjust what you need and then resume your trip.
I do agree the wipers should be on a better stalk but if you're a little chilly it doesn't mean you crash the car.

Actually, no. It closes on its own after some time (maybe 20 seconds?) Also, opening it is part of the problem - but their position is also a problem.

When they were on the bottom, you could anchor your hand on the screen and touch the buttons with your thumb. Now it takes hovering your arm and spear fishing with your finger. The whole thing takes a lot more hand/eye attention and coordination than it used to. Having to do it multiples times in a drive (e.g. defrosters) adds to the aggravation.

The fact that something “could be done” does not mean it is “easy to be done”. That is the crux of the V11 complaints.
I am wondering what kind of cars the V11 defenders had before the Tesla and if that has some bearing on their opinion.

The fact that something “could be done” does not mean it is “easy to be done”. That is the crux of the V11 complaints.
I am wondering what kind of cars the V11 defenders had before the Tesla and if that has some bearing on their opinion.

Not sure how that factors in. I came from an 8 year old Chevy Cruze. That car had way better climate controls. Nowhere near as fun to drive as a M3 though.

I don't really want to report anything to the NHTSA. I just want v10 back. Wah.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I had a Viper Green Audi S3 Fantastic car. But I knew what I was getting in to when buying a Tesla and I knew that it would constantly change for better or worse temporarily.

Reactions: Raurele
Well I guess too many complained and some changes are on their way. Tesla to add more customization options in the launcher with 2022.12
Or that was the plan all along :) I would still like to see full wiper control added to the stalk I don't think you should be fumbling around with any touch screen in the rain. I was playing with voice commands today with them there were some times where It did something I didn't want. Even if a double click left the card up for the wipers that would be something. The Controls card does stay up for as long as you like but the wipers are a tiny sliver far right so it's not ideal.

Last edited:
That's what I think also. Present the general product and then listen to the customer to make changes where required. This is how they have been doing things at Tesla since day 1 after all.
Yeah, agile development. I am onboard with that but there are things that are obvious and do not fall into this category. Monkeying around with the entertainment system is OK; hiding important functions is not OK. Everything that is related to important functions should be redesigned and tested very, very carefully. I cannot excuse their cavalier approach with their desire to “drive progress”. The UI changes fall into different category - changes for the sake of changes.