Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY solution to deadening tire noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious does anyone have knowledge into noise cancellation inside cars similar to Bose Headphones? @artsci, I'm sure you've thought of that, but do you have any thoughts on why it is too difficult or you decided not to pursue? My guess is that noise cancellation headphones are best on airplanes where the pitch doesn't change... as opposed to tire noise which can vary between pavement types, etc.

Curious does anyone have knowledge into noise cancellation inside cars similar to Bose Headphones? @artsci, I'm sure you've thought of that, but do you have any thoughts on why it is too difficult or you decided not to pursue? My guess is that noise cancellation headphones are best on airplanes where the pitch doesn't change... as opposed to tire noise which can vary between pavement types, etc.

A company named Silentium makes something called “Quiet Bubble” that seems to offer the possibility of integration with the car’s sound system. It senses the offending noise and transmits signals through the sound system that cancels it, with improvement of 10db, they claim. It’s not an aftermarket system and they work with the source (in this case me) to develop a solution. I’m going to talk to them tomorrow to see what can be done. Maybe someone like Reus can incorporate Quiet Bubble into it’s system for the Tesla, so I’m also going to contact Reus about this (I have their system). I’ll start a new thread on this as things progress.

Interesting possiblities... A 10db reduction in road, wind, and HVAC noise would be phenomenal.

A company named Silentium makes something called “Quiet Bubble” that seems to offer the possibility of integration with the car’s sound system. It senses the offending noise and transmits signals through the sound system that cancels it, with improvement of 10db, they claim. It’s not an aftermarket system and they work with the source (in this case me) to develop a solution. I’m going to talk to them tomorrow to see what can be done. Maybe someone like Reus can incorporate Quiet Bubble into it’s system for the Tesla, so I’m also going to contact Reus about this (I have their system). I’ll start a new thread on this as things progress.

Interesting possiblities... A 10db reduction in road, wind, and HVAC noise would be phenomenal.

I’m looking forward to following this as well. I like my Reus system but it was designed to work off the Tesla sound system speaker outputs, as there are no line level outputs from or line level inputs to Tesla’s system (and no digital streaming inputs either). This means that Reus would need to provide a line level input to its own amplifier for an aftermarket sound cancelling system to work.

May I just add? Schweeeeet

Further research into the Silentium products reveals another and even more promising opttion. They sell something called an S cube development kit, which includes all of the hardware, including a PCB, several microphones, and speaker driven by pcb output, to set up a noise cancelling system in a car. The kit costs $4,500 and is available from a number of sources. Evidently the thing can be tuned to cancel the most prevalent noises. I’m inclined to try the thing, but before I spend the money I want to be sure it can do the job on my Tesla. That will involve some direct communication with Silentium. As they’re based in Israel I plan to call them tomorrow to discuss what’s possible with the kit. I’ll report back what I find.

My problem with this is that the tire manufacturers have tested the tires with this solution, and have probably altered the tires to compensate for the additional heat retention and heat generation by the foam. There is also the question of how many bending cycles the foam can take. If it disintegrates the small pieces of foam/vinyl rattling around in the tire will eat away at the tubeless liner. You're talking about something like 40 million bending cycles (two per revolution) over 30,000 miles.

Potential disbonding of the foam scenarios: Temp- with outside 90F, max tire temp is 140F. Max service temp of the acoustic foam (polyether based polyurethane) is 200F. Mechanical hits due to potholes, bumps, curbs, fatigue cannot disbond as the centrifugal force is enough to keep it in place. However, the reduction n noise level is prominent only at certain frequencies.