Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY solution for charging with excess solar without Zappi/Hypervolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a pointer to say that if on IO and you plug the in when the sun is out, you dont get to have your cake and eat it!
How do you mean?

If you want to charge on your own solar using a charger with that capability you can just use the bump charge option to turn off the intelligent. Currently there is no point as the export is twice the import fee, so it's always better to export than use what you generate.

I'm charging my home batteries to 100% each night, then if I get solar during the day it's likely to refill my battery and then start being exported. It's November and I've exporting today. Each 1kWh I export now means I can charge 2kWh tonight.

How do you mean?
What I meant was that you cant both charge the car on a cheap slot and also export your solar at the same time. In my case the solar does not charge the battery anymore As I typically have more than enough to surf the peak rate but some days (specially in bad weather) someone will plug the car in during the day and I use the slot to also top up the battery so that I have a bit more backup in case of a power outage.

Last edited:
Ok sure, slots aren't assigned until after 16:00 and complete before your set time but no later than 11:00. I've never seen a slot be assigned before 22:00 personally.
Im sorry, I edited my post whilst your wrote..... I see. Here, I typically get slots from 9am to 12pm and 12 pm to 4pm and then 7:30 pm to 7am. I suppose its different for different areas.