Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disneyland RoadTrip with 2yr Old Baby - Vegas to LA - Need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all

Getting ready to take my Model S P100D out for it's FIRST "road trip"

Heading from VEGAS to LA to goto DisneyLand with a 2 YEAR old BABY in tow

Need ADVICE on trip planning:

#1 - Charge to 100% - I Assume = YES ?

#2 - How MANY stops should I Plan on making to CHARGE up?

#3 - With BABY how MUCH time on AVERAGE should I plan to be DOWN during charge ? ?

any tips on what the BEST charging spots are from VEGAS to Disneyland? FASTEST? Less busy? ect?

Many thanks!!

:)

Your rated miles spec is about 315 so it should be able to hand a 270 mile trip fine with 100% charge at home and some restrictions in driving style such as no cabin heater, no above-posted speed limit...

However, since you have a baby, it's best to stop once in the middle of a trip such as Yermo Supercharger.

In that case, there's no need to charge 100% at home. I would charge it to 90% at home.

If you know that there's an available charger at your destination Disneyland, you don't need to stay at Yermo for long: Maybe only about 20 minutes and you should be able to make it to Disneyland charger.

However, if you can't count on Disneyland charger availability, I would charge at Yermo for 45 minutes and leave. That would give time for your 2 year old baby to stretch and feed and rest.

Expect wait line for Superchargers around Disneyland at popular hours. 8-bay Buena Park is constantly busy until after midnight. 12-bay Santa Ana is the same.

You can pre-plan your trip using EVTripPlanner or ABetterRoutePlanner. I like the second one. They'll give you drive times and charge times and optimize total trip time. I make a list of Superchargers I'll hit because the car doesn't usually agree with the planners. I just give the nav the next Supercharger as a destination. The car can also do all this for you. Try it out now and see what it says!

If you charge to 100% at home (just before leaving), that's a little less you have to charge at the first Supercharger, saving a bit of time. Or maybe it gets you to a Supercharger you especially like. The trip planners allow you to specify the starting charge, so you can see what it saves you.

The car displays the charge at destination (bottom of turns list). I like a projected 20% remaining under good conditions in my X 100D. If it goes below 10%-15% I slow down so that I arrive with at least 10%. Rain and headwinds are two things that might eat more energy than the car was estimating. It's pretty good about elevation and recent car consumption. Just slowing from 77 MPH to 73 MPH can make the difference.

Also, if you stay at one of the Disney hotels, they have a valet charging service available so you're full for the ride home. You could likely pick up a lot of charge fast (10-15 minutes) at Barstow or Rancho Cucamonga. Both those sites have spots for a potty break/diaper change and quick snack which you will need anyway. Best bet is probably Rancho on the way there and Barstow on the way back. If it's soonish the cold weather can sap your range so at least 1 stop.

Last edited:
You could likely pick up a lot of charge fast (10-15 minutes) at Barstow or Rancho Cucamonga. Both those sites have spots for a potty break/diaper change and quick snack which you will need anyway. Best bet is probably Rancho on the way there and Barstow on the way back.

I would never recommend Rancho Cucamonga to anyone looking for a "quick" anything. That charger is almost constantly full with a line of cars waiting from sunrise to well past 10pm.

In fact, my advice would be to avoid all superchargers in the LA metro area if you can and make use of Barstow, Yermo, or Baker. If you can L2 charge wherever you're staying at Disneyland, all the better - no reason to try and fight for a spot at any of the perpetually busy locations like Rancho or Buena Park / Santa Ana.

Disneyland is my 2nd home and Vegas is my 3rd home - I got this. ;)

I would go ahead and charge to 100%. Ideally is to hit 100% just as you are leaving. Full charging is no issue, staying fully charged for long periods of time is the issue.

Charge at Yermo. Little one will enjoy Eddie World. Charge just long enough to comfortably get to Westminster supercharger.

At Westminster charge up 80-90. Go to Disneyland, don't bother with trying to find L2 chargers or any other SC.

Enjoy DL and then take the SC of your choice on way back. Yermo or Baker. Primm is the my favorite stop as I dislike charging inside LV itself due to locals clogging the SC.

Hi! I live in Vegas and I'm headed to Anaheim this weekend too :)
We are going to see ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Competition at the Honda Center.

I checked and there's a destination charger at our hotel so we plan to use that since there's no Anaheim SuperCharger yet and I hear the Santa Ana one is busy. I am hoping that works out. I mapped out some other destination chargers nearby if we need them.

I think you should plan to stop at least twice along the way. We are going to stop in Yermo because we like Eddie's World and I think the SuperChargers are less busy than in Barstow.

With a baby you may need to stop a lot. But it all depends on YOUR baby. My kid screamed and cried whenever the car was not moving. So road trips weren't that bad. We really just had to plan for diaper changes and feedings (for us that was about every 2-3 hours). When he was a toddler though, OMG. We had to stop SO MANY TIMES. When he was a toddler what I had to do was plan out the parks and playgrounds along the way so that he could MOVE. That kiddo cannot be crammed up in a car all day. At 9 years old he still needs to move, move, move but he's a lot easier now to schedule exercise/play before or during a road trip.

I suggest downloading PlugShare to your phone so you have all the charging options available to see.

Hello all

Getting ready to take my Model S P100D out for it's FIRST "road trip"

Heading from VEGAS to LA to goto DisneyLand with a 2 YEAR old BABY in tow

Need ADVICE on trip planning:

#2 - How MANY stops should I Plan on making to CHARGE up?

#3 - With BABY how MUCH time on AVERAGE should I plan to be DOWN during charge ? ?

any tips on what the BEST charging spots are from VEGAS to Disneyland? FASTEST? Less busy? ect?

Many thanks!!

:)
Suggest do a one stop to charge going in either direction at Lenwood or Yerno (both near Barstow). About 30 minutes recharge time. The uphill portions of the drive will kill your mileage but having the 100kwh battery gives you a lot of reserve. No need to charge to 100%. You’re just fine leaving Vegas with 90%. Enjoy the trip.

2 year old baby? That's no baby, that's a toddler! When I travel with my kids, I find that the car is usually ready to go before the kids are(1 and 5.5). I'd put the toddler behind the driver, and have an adult ride in the backseat with them. If the front pasenger's seat is empty, you can slide it forward and give them alot of room. Also a tablet with their shows loaded on it helps too. If you're lucky, the toddler will take a nap for most of the trip.