Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
Haven't verified this yet, but we may have our answer. A fellow on Reddit getting a new system got this as a part of his spec sheet. Called "Powerwall Plus"

znb1r8nzl6w61.png

From post:

KEY FEATURES • Integrated battery, inverter, and system controller for a more compact install • Integrated soft starter capable of powering motors and air conditioning units1 • A suite of application modes, including self-powered, time-based control, and backup modes • Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and LTE connectivity with easy over-the-air updates

I'm most interested in the integrated soft starter capability. How exactly would they wire that? Additional home-runs to the motor/A/C unit? Or have they found a way to do it on a more generic level?

Good question. The guy that posted it doesn't have anything in his profile that would suggest it's a hoax, but we shouldn't rule that out until we see more information.

Haven't verified this yet, but we may have our answer. A fellow on Reddit getting a new system got this as a part of his spec sheet. Called "Powerwall Plus"

znb1r8nzl6w61.png

From post:

KEY FEATURES • Integrated battery, inverter, and system controller for a more compact install • Integrated soft starter capable of powering motors and air conditioning units1 • A suite of application modes, including self-powered, time-based control, and backup modes • Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and LTE connectivity with easy over-the-air updates
The Tesla powerwall support folks are telling me the existing PW's will get a FW update to all greater output power, shall see

znb1r8nzl6w61.png

From post:

(moderator note: If you find out that this is credible, I will likely split this post off into a new thread to discuss particulars so its not buried in this one. Let me know if you find out more information. Thanks for sharing!)

Reactions: willow_hiller
(moderator note: If you find out that this is credible, I will likely split this post off into a new thread to discuss particulars so its not buried in this one. Let me know if you find out more information. Thanks for sharing!)

I think it's firmly in the rumor category right now. It would be a fair amount of effort on his part to fake the technical drawing and the description. And including the soft-start feature in a hoax, along with the fake footnote that he's clarified says " Supports devices up to 105 LRA " would draw scrutiny. If I was faking a new Powerwall, I would just say the new box is a combo Gateway/inverter and leave it at that.

But so far nobody else has also seen this in their spec sheets. So if it's real we'll see some other posts about it soon, I'm sure.

Maybe would make sense to split this out into a separate thread, but make it clear in the title it's still a rumor. That way if anyone else spots it in their design docs they can see it and chime in.

Reactions: powerwall88
I think it's firmly in the rumor category right now. It would be a fair amount of effort on his part to fake the technical drawing and the description. And including the soft-start feature in a hoax, along with the fake footnote that he's clarified says " Supports devices up to 105 LRA " would draw scrutiny. If I was faking a new Powerwall, I would just say the new box is a combo Gateway/inverter and leave it at that.

But so far nobody else has also seen this in their spec sheets. So if it's real we'll see some other posts about it soon, I'm sure.

Maybe would make sense to split this out into a separate thread, but make it clear in the title it's still a rumor. That way if anyone else spots it in their design docs they can see it and chime in.

(moderator Note)
Unless there is a strong feeling to the contrary, I kind of want to leave it here in this thread since this was related to elons tweets / rumors etc. If I split it off now, it just creates two different threads for the speculation. To split it off, I kind of want something other than speculation for discussion.

With that being said, I dont feel super strongly about it, so if the general consensus is to split off another thread starting from your post in this thread with the pic of that rumor, I am open to that

Reactions: willow_hiller
Question here as we’ve been planning to order a 16.8 PV system with the suggested 4 power walls for our house.

1) can I expect still that if my PWs are full to 100% or setting we choose, that the PV will still feed the grid for net metering?

our utility allows it and it’s beneficial so I’d be disappointed if this new install negates that…

Question here as we’ve been planning to order a 16.8 PV system with the suggested 4 power walls for our house.

1) can I expect still that if my PWs are full to 100% or setting we choose, that the PV will still feed the grid for net metering?

our utility allows it and it’s beneficial so I’d be disappointed if this new install negates that…

Thats a great question. We dont know at this point, but it would be really strange to me if for some reason tesla disallows sending energy to the grid at all. It would likely cost someone $100 to find out (the deposit). You could likely even get the deposit back if it turns out they dont plan to offer net metering setup any longer as that would be a HUGE change.

Reactions: travwill
Great agree it makes NO sense as would be a waste and a disincentive to go with split with a PW even. Will wait and see here as placing order in a couple months or so.

thanks! Will keep abreast here as bet we will know soon.

Best clue we might have would be this quote from the Q1 2021 earnings call. Elon said:

"However, with a whole bunch of Powerwalls and houses, we can actually buffer the power. And so if the grid needs more power, we can actually then, with the consent, obviously, of the homeowner and in partnership with the utility, we can then actually release power onto the grid to take care of peak power demand."

So that makes it sound like the system is physically capable of exporting to the grid, but it's not yet clear if the software will allow that or whether you'd need to wait until some sort of Tesla virtual power plant is set up.

Reactions: travwill
Best clue we might have would be this quote from the Q1 2021 earnings call. Elon said:

"However, with a whole bunch of Powerwalls and houses, we can actually buffer the power. And so if the grid needs more power, we can actually then, with the consent, obviously, of the homeowner and in partnership with the utility, we can then actually release power onto the grid to take care of peak power demand."

So that makes it sound like the system is physically capable of exporting to the grid, but it's not yet clear if the software will allow that or whether you'd need to wait until some sort of Tesla virtual power plant is set up.
I knw that Enphase doesn't have the battery restriction to send power to the grid. And, perhaps the new DC admin will change the law to still get the ITC.

znb1r8nzl6w61.png

From post:

Confirmed with local crew who are here today that this is legit. Some comments;

If the PWs are stacked (more than one) only one of these is required for every stack.
The top is the inverter with integrated breakers for PW(s)
It's not DC to DC, powerwall remains the same with integrated inverter
Not being used in the NE due to the way it works - specifically only works with smart meters (at least today)
More color: National Grid requires a separate meter to track the solar output. That's not possible with the Powerwall Plus. It wasn't facted into the design and hence those projects are being redesigned.

Last edited:
Confirmed with local crew who are here today that this is legit. Some comments;

If the PWs are stacked (more than one) only one of these is required for every stack.
The top is the inverter with integrated breakers for PW(s)
It's not DC to DC, powerwall remains the same with integrated inverter
Not being used in the NE due to the way it works - specifically only works with smart meters (at least today)
More color: National Grid requires a separate meter to track the solar output. That's not possible with the Powerwall Plus. It wasn't facted into the design and hence those projects are being redesigned.

Sounds like it's time for a new thread @jjrandorin !