Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is so much wishful thinking in this thread it's insane. Tesla are under absolutely no obligation to swap HW3 to HW4. All the mental gymnastics people are pulling about the legalities are just laughable.
lol. I’ll fully own that I’m high on hopium here, but I’ve only mentioned paying for a retrofit. I have a ‘23 car that I most definitely will not sell anytime soon for HW4. But if Tesla can make a retrofit worthwhile for themselves financially, I’m sure it would make a ton of folks like myself very happy. Nothing wrong with dreaming (and dropping hints to anyone reading who may have some influence at Tesla). :)

Reactions: RajG
It’s a ~50k$ car for starters with phantom braking and other risks in highway traffic. Tesla may not be under obligation (to improve/swap any hardware) but one bad incident and they will get enough bad press to harm their billion dollar valuation and end up losing much more than few bucks they are trying to save. The type of hardware should not increase or decrease high risk their tech seems to carry these days. That is the big concern. Safety. They can even start putting HW2 but at least don’t make cars unsafe for owner as well as other drivers on the road. Even if I don’t own a Tesla I would be concerned with such cars using same roads.
They already have plenty of bad press and bad incidents. Stock price still goes up as long as they can sell vehicles. As for being unsafe, there have long been L2 systems that would happily run the car into oncoming traffic (the early Mercedes systems), but nobody blinks an eye. Phantom braking by comparison is much safer. Plus given there are no extra cameras or radar, HW4 won't necessarily mean any difference with HW3 in that regard by relying on hardware. Reducing those still fall squarely on the software.

It’s a ~50k$ car for starters with phantom braking and other risks in highway traffic. Tesla may not be under obligation (to improve/swap any hardware) but one bad incident and they will get enough bad press to harm their billion dollar valuation and end up losing much more than few bucks they are trying to save. The type of hardware should not increase or decrease high risk their tech seems to carry these days. That is the big concern. Safety. They can even start putting HW2 but at least don’t make cars unsafe for owner as well as other drivers on the road. Even if I don’t own a Tesla I would be concerned with such cars using same roads.
Thank you for proving my point. Your justification is just plain delusional.

the fact that Tesla reduced the prices itself means they have acknowledged the fact that the current parking sensor system they have in place is sub optimal. I am sure they would be aiming to fix this issue be it HW3 or HW4.
I my view the fact that vision is not accurate could be nothing to do with HW systems on board . Software tweaking is needed.

the fact that Tesla reduced the prices itself means they have acknowledged the fact that the current parking sensor system they have in place is sub optimal
I doubt the price drop has anything to do with the parking sensor situation.

We still get the ultrasonics in Australia and we got a massive $3800 price drop on Model 3 and Model Y on the 1st of July.

Do you have any links to those? My MB brother keeps sending me TSLA wrecks as a naysayer and swears by MB safety
Here's a couple articles that says the MB system loves to run into oncoming traffic:
The War For Autonomous Driving: 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class VS. 2017 Tesla Model S
Mercedes's New E-Class Kinda Drives Itself—And It’s Kinda Confusing

Old comments from when I originally referenced.
Fatal Flaw in AP2 Design

Link to Autofil is dead, but archive still has it:
Hands off
You can clearly see the Mercedes system struggling to keep the car in lane, many times veering straight into the oncoming lane. Tesla's system (old original Autopilot) handles the curve easily.

Mercedes's system likely has since improved, but the point is no one really cared when it was blatantly more dangerous. People only care when it's Tesla.

They already have plenty of bad press and bad incidents. Stock price still goes up as long as they can sell vehicles. As for being unsafe, there have long been L2 systems that would happily run the car into oncoming traffic (the early Mercedes systems), but nobody blinks an eye. Phantom braking by comparison is much safer. Plus given there are no extra cameras or radar, HW4 won't necessarily mean any difference with HW3 in that regard by relying on hardware.
Here's a couple articles that says the MB system loves to run into oncoming traffic:
The War For Autonomous Driving: 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class VS. 2017 Tesla Model S
Mercedes's New E-Class Kinda Drives Itself—And It’s Kinda Confusing

Old comments from when I originally referenced.
Fatal Flaw in AP2 Design

Link to Autofil is dead, but archive still has it:
Hands off
You can clearly see the Mercedes system struggling to keep the car in lane, many times veering straight into the oncoming lane. Tesla's system (old original Autopilot) handles the curve easily.

Mercedes's system likely has since improved, but the point is no one really cared when it was blatantly more dangerous. People only care when it's Tesla.

MB system and Tesla system are very very different (I ack I haven’t used MB’s system). Tesla touts miles driven by its AP/FSD systems and company’s valuation and repute is directly tied to how well it performs in terms of safety - the prime concern for such systems.

MB built a reputation over many years for top notch cars. Not many people buy or know MB for AP systems. But Tesla is a different story. I’m not saying one is better than other which is a wider discussion and individual scenario - just saying Tesla has a big issue (whether they use HW3 or 4 or 2 - and no radar) with unsafe AP system where folks make YT videos of napping while on highway. And if this safety is harmed by removal of radar or other HW - that seems bad business decision from the outside. May be there is more to the HW “upgrade” <> Vision system that is not as obvious.

MB system and Tesla system are very very different (I ack I haven’t used MB’s system). Tesla touts miles driven by its AP/FSD systems and company’s valuation and repute is directly tied to how well it performs in terms of safety - the prime concern for such systems.

MB built a reputation over many years for top notch cars. Not many people buy or know MB for AP systems. But Tesla is a different story. I’m not saying one is better than other which is a wider discussion and individual scenario - just saying Tesla has a big issue (whether they use HW3 or 4 or 2 - and no radar) with unsafe AP system where folks make YT videos of napping while on highway.
Napping is addressed by steering wheel nags and cabin camera, which has nothing to do with HW4. Nothing you have posted so far justifies retrofitting HW4.
And if this safety is harmed by removal of radar or other HW - that seems bad business decision from the outside. May be there is more to the HW “upgrade” <> Vision system that is not as obvious.
Again this is such a wishy-washy statement, further disproven by the fact the Model Y HW4 don't even have a radar connector (something even the HW3 board still have) nor the connectors for the extra cameras. This is besides that it makes zero sense to spend over a thousand bucks to retrofit old cars, when that money is far better spent improving new ones to generate more sales.

Napping is addressed by steering wheel nags and cabin camera, which has nothing to do with HW4. Nothing you have posted so far justifies retrofitting HW4.

Again this is such a wishy-washy statement, further disproven by the fact the Model Y HW4 don't even have a radar connector (something even the HW3 board still have) nor the connectors for the extra cameras. This is besides that it makes zero sense to spend over a thousand bucks to retrofit old cars, when that money is far better spent improving new ones to generate more sales.
Sorry which radar are you talking about?
Radar has been removed post 2022 and replaced with vision right?

Sorry which radar are you talking about?
Radar has been removed post 2022 and replaced with vision right?
HW4 Model S/X has the new HD radar that was leaked a while back:

As per previous link, HW4 Model Y does not have radar, although as a correction, reading it more carefully, it says only that radar was missing, not the connector (the extra cameras connectors were what was missing on the board).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Interesting video - apparently the hw4 on model y is not the same as on model s and x . And it’s missing on extra ports for the radar.
He says inaccurate information like that the missing GPU is not for infotainment, when it is. It seems he is just rehashing articles on the green tweets, but not doing a very good job of it.

As for depopulating the radar connector, the articles don't actually say that if you read it carefully. They mix it in with the mention of cameras which are explicitly mentioned as depopulated, but don't on the radar. I tried to do some research but it's very hard to find which one is the radar connector for the HW4.

Anyone have a Twitter account that can give the direct link to green's comments on radar? Twitter now doesn't allow looking at threads anymore. I would much rather read green's direct comments than articles that are like a telephone game and the authors embellish their own take.

Edit, found it, no mention of radar in the main board thread:

Here's his comments on radar after a question:
"Does it have connector for new radar? But no radar installed in car, right?"

"there's no special radar connector.

The radars don't seem to be installed to model Ys, another premium feature reserved for s/x cars for now it looks like"

"Ok, thanks! Is there a special connector for radar on HW4 for s/x? Also, is the RAM now up to 16GB (for Steam I would presume)"

"radar did not have a special connector. the broadrreach lines are in the existing one."

So all the articles misunderstood him on radar! Even the Model S/X HW4 board did not have a special radar connector, they just used a broadrreach connector, which is presumably in the Y also, as green mentioned those Ethernet connectors earlier. So that allows for radar retrofit in the future.

The only confirmed depopulated connectors are the camera ones.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP