Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sounds like HW4 Y is a cut down version compared to other models.
Super interesting read! Thank you for sharing.

What I'm still confused about is why the MY/3 computer can't be retrofitted (physically). I believe they mount to the car using an interface like this: Tesla Model Y & 3 Media Control Computer MCU Self-Driving Autopilot 1775000-90-L | eBay — Model X/S computers on the other hand mount directly to the car (I believe).

Couldn't Tesla just develop a new mount (apologies, I'm sure I'm using the wrong terminology)? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Super interesting read! Thank you for sharing.

What I'm still confused about is why the MY/3 computer can't be retrofitted (physically). I believe they mount to the car using an interface like this: Tesla Model Y & 3 Media Control Computer MCU Self-Driving Autopilot 1775000-90-L | eBay — Model X/S computers on the other hand mount directly to the car (I believe).

Couldn't Tesla just develop a new mount (apologies, I'm sure I'm using the wrong terminology)? Thanks in advance for any insights.
Well if Tesla fixes the vision issue on HW4 only, they would be creating more problems for themselves as all their HW3 costumes would be slapping lawsuits for giving them a suboptimal (dare I say dangerous) safety system. So I have a hunch that they will come up with a cost effective solution for retrofitting (that is if Tesla fixes vision issues on HW4)

I anticipate HW3 and HW4 Model Y's of this generation (pre-juniper refresh) will have the same functionality level, with possible differences in release cadence/timing for updates to account for hardware differences. So long term the current HW4 Y's will act just like HW3 cars, but have somewhat better cameras. Significant functionality improvements will come with juniper.

I anticipate HW3 and HW4 Model Y's of this generation (pre-juniper refresh) will have the same functionality level, with possible differences in release cadence/timing for updates to account for hardware differences. So long term the current HW4 Y's will act just like HW3 cars, but have somewhat better cameras. Significant functionality improvements will come with juniper.
But won't the better cameras and other HW4 changes allow for longer term benefits? You said "long term the current HW4 Y's will act just like HW3 cars", but don't you really mean short term? Long term, as the hardware is more utilized, won't we see more significant changes, differentiating HW4 cars from HW3?

But won't the better cameras and other HW4 changes allow for longer term benefits? You said "long term the current HW4 Y's will act just like HW3 cars", but don't you really mean short term? Long term, as the hardware is more utilized, won't we see more significant changes, differentiating HW4 cars from HW3?
Of course. HW4 is more powerful and HW4 cameras have better resolution.

Reactions: WyoDude
Maybe, but I don't think so. I'm not basing this opinion on any inside knowledge. My thinking is long term these will be considered the same development target. HW4 supports lots more cameras and radar, those are not being included with these model Y's with the HW4 processor. So since the inputs are roughly the same between Model y HW3 and model y HW4, I expect the same capabilities long term. When the Model y refresh comes, I expect it will come with additional hardware that will be needed for significant functional improvements.

Maybe, but I don't think so. I'm not basing this opinion on any inside knowledge. My thinking is long term these will be considered the same development target. HW4 supports lots more cameras and radar, those are not being included with these model Y's with the HW4 processor. So since the inputs are roughly the same between Model y HW3 and model y HW4, I expect the same capabilities long term. When the Model y refresh comes, I expect it will come with additional hardware that will be needed for significant functional improvements.
Yeah, I just read a link with the details, the Model Y HW4 board has the radar and extra cameras depopulated, which means the current Model Y HW4 will not significantly depart from HW3.

Reactions: X Fan
More powerful hardware isn't meaningful if the software doesn't take advantage of it.
HW3 is maxed out. It's only logical that HW4 will perform better and why Tesla is going to it.

There's no logical reason to believe, long term, that HW4 with better cameras, more power, and redundancy(which HW3 no longer has) won't perform better and more reliably

Reactions: C2023 and AJ..
HW3 is maxed out. It's only logical that HW4 will perform better and why Tesla is going to it.

There's no logical reason to believe, long term, that HW4 with better cameras, more power, and redundancy(which HW3 no longer has) won't perform better and more reliably
The logic is that there is no additional HW, so the feature set enabled is substantially similar. Like running a modern operating system on a 10 year old or a brand new computer. They work the same and offer the same features, but the newer hardware is faster and more power efficient. Functionality wise they are the same.

The logic is that there is no additional HW, so the feature set enabled is substantially similar. Like running a modern operating system on a 10 year old or a brand new computer. They work the same and offer the same features, but the newer hardware is faster and more power efficient. Functionality wise they are the same.
But with something like FSD, faster and more efficient likely equals better results. Elon saidnthis exact thing when he spoke about HW4 vs HW3.

Plus, do you really think Tesla could run true lvl5 without redundancy? In HW3, they ditched redundancy for additonal power. HW4 has more power plus redundancy.

Not sure what extra functionality you're speaking of.

Curious if folks would pay to upgrade. Say it’s confirmed HW3 works functionally, but HW4 is safer and somewhat more reliable, so the upgrade becomes optional.

For me, if a $3K upgrade path were offered, I’d upgrade instantly. $5K and I’d have to think about it.

Curious if folks would pay to upgrade. Say it’s confirmed HW3 works functionally, but HW4 is safer and somewhat more reliable, so the upgrade becomes optional.

For me, if a $3K upgrade path were offered, I’d upgrade instantly. $5K and I’d have to think about it.
I doubt they'd offer it. I think people would try to sue to get it for free.
Who knows, maybe they'll be forced to.

Reactions: ord3r
There is so much wishful thinking in this thread its insane. Tesla are under absolutely no obligation to swap HW3 to HW4. All the mental gymnastics people are pulling about the legalities are just laughable.

It’s a ~50k$ car for starters with phantom braking and other risks in highway traffic. Tesla may not be under obligation (to improve/swap any hardware) but one bad incident and they will get enough bad press to harm their billion dollar valuation and end up losing much more than few bucks they are trying to save. The type of hardware should not increase or decrease high risk their tech seems to carry these days. That is the big concern. Safety. They can even start putting HW2 but at least don’t make cars unsafe for owner as well as other drivers on the road. Even if I don’t own a Tesla I would be concerned with such cars using same roads.