Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Disappointing roll-out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know that Tesla cares who orders how many of the 3 or Y as long as they order 1 or 1 of each - they've got 2 solid offerings in that price range and that'll work out just fine.

I long ago predicted the demise of the S and X once the 3 and Y matured, and again, if Tesla chooses to keep them around as upscale versions, fine.

The real category killer (and that's saying something, given the penetration already of the Model S and Model 3) is going to be the pickup. I don't even want one but can't wait for it anyway. It will be fun to see Ford squirm for once.

If you kill the X then I move to another brand and there will be plenty of alternatives in 2 years.
Nothing beat the X and the Y is a dud for me:

No SAS
Towing?
Interior volume/cargo not much higher than my Bolt EV.
If I could justify the price of the X then I would get it but for the money the Y is a better deal by far for most of us, IMO that is.

Bolt is 56.6 cu ft
Y is 66 cu ft
X 7 seat is 77.3 cu ft
X 5 seat is 87.8 cu ft

If you have the 7 seater than the Y slots nicely in the middle but if you have the 5 seater then you have a cavern! close to an Escalade size cargo room.

Last edited:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Y is going to be a hit despite all the negativity on here. Here's my take.

1) A car's success is not all about it's LOOKS! Being a beauty queen does not make a car. Plain Clean Simplicity is better sometimes.
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer.
3) Ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300+ mile range is by far unbeatable for a Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the market is custom tailored to the Y.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

A WHITE w/WHITE interior Y Performance with black anodized trim & full tinted unobstructed Sky Roof = Very Nice!!!

White Y.jpg

I might suggest keeping the negativity to a minimum. It's comments like this on forums like this that affect the public and the investors in Tesla. Nothing good can come from it other than the therapy most get from being able to voice opinions. Tesla is a great car no matter what it looks like and nothing else comes close. I am glad they exist and wish all the car makers would soon step up and do something similar instead of all their BS and fake would be electric cars. Only Tesla is really moving ahead.....look around and be positive !

I might suggest keeping the negativity to a minimum. It's comments like this on forums like this that affect the public and the investors in Tesla. Nothing good can come from it other than the therapy most get from being able to voice opinions. Tesla is a great car no matter what it looks like and nothing else comes close. I am glad they exist and wish all the car makers would soon step up and do something similar instead of all their BS and fake would be electric cars. Only Tesla is really moving ahead.....look around and be positive !

Agreed, but to whom are you addressing?