Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with Intentional Performance Reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There may be some hidden performance in there that we may get "unlocked" for free for for some $$ after the cars have been out and about for a bit. Fun future Elon tweet "You wanted a P? You had a P all along! Just put your CC number in the screen."

I don't expect, at least in the early versions, to see a battery unlock, pay or not. To me, the different mileage on the warranties between the standard and long range versions says that the standard battery isn't a locked variant of the larger one. If it were it should have even greater longevity than the larger one.

That may change, however, as production continues.

I don't expect, at least in the early versions, to see a battery unlock, pay or not. To me, the different mileage on the warranties between the standard and long range versions says that the standard battery isn't a locked variant of the larger one. If it were it should have even greater longevity than the larger one.

That may change, however, as production continues.
I agree that we won't see any battery unlock. I believe there may be some additional performance to be unlocked in the motor controller. I'm absolutely guessing, but I bet they have the controller tuned down, maybe slightly, until they see some more real world use.

There may be another .3 to .5 in there somewhere. Even if not, I'm perfectly happy with 5.1. Will still be the fastest car I've ever had.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
More performance equals higher cost of the rest of the components. Inverter, motor, "gear box", axles, suspension, etc.

I can put a new chip in my dodge, but without other improvements it burns out the turbo and destroys the transmission.

Over time the prices will come down or performance will go up. I'd bet a performance boost when the tax credit runs out.

I agree that we won't see any battery unlock. I believe there may be some additional performance to be unlocked in the motor controller. I'm absolutely guessing, but I bet they have the controller tuned down, maybe slightly, until they see some more real world use.

There may be another .3 to .5 in there somewhere. Even if not, I'm perfectly happy with 5.1. Will still be the fastest car I've ever had.

That's not unlikely. Tesla has been talking for a good while about getting warranty costs under control - and when they're selling 500k per year, they're opening up a lot of liability. It's reasonable to be cautious in the beginning.

Reactions: Lunarx
There may be some hidden performance in there that we may get "unlocked" for free for for some $$ after the cars have been out and about for a bit. Fun future Elon tweet "You wanted a P? You had a P all along! Just put your CC number in the screen." :p

However, I think 5.1 is still plenty. It's about 8 seconds faster than my LEAF.

Agree completely.

People need to take some perspective: 5.6s 0-60 is on par with most sedans with a V6 engine. 5.1s 0-60 is nearly on par with a Honda Civic Type R, which is a limited edition track car with a turbo. In whichever form, Model 3 will handily outperform most street legal cars on public roads.

If people want an even quicker Model 3, they should wait for the AWD powertrain.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Nothing is free.

There are two key cost elements:
- Battery power: it's easier to make cells cheaper if you can lower power density. It's a chemistry trade-off.
- Motor power: it's not just the motor, it's the power electronics. Higher power also needs additional cooling.

Dual motor is expected beginning of 2018. Performance to follow middle of 2018. If you want extra performance, you'll need to wait for the Performance model.

Actually, there's no mention of performance at all. Just AWD and that's slated for middle of 2018 now. Maybe they're going to release them together.

i think everyone is forgetting why this car was built, i feel like everyone is expecting a $35k model s

the model 3 is an entry level car, it is half the price of a model s, it is not going to be a model s. they have to cut cost/performance/everything. i think the 0-60 speed is fine. everyone whos driving an electric car will feel the instant power vs ICE when they hit the accelerator.

the average person is going to just get4 the premium upgrade package/choose a color which brings the cost to ~41. the average person is going to splurge ~60k on this car, those people might as well look into getting into a model s/x.

Reactions: labfm