Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in the movement of Supercharging Threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get how this is better than what we had before. The first link gives me 20 pages of results to go through, while the second link gives me 12 pages of results to review. Not efficient in my view. I note that supercharge.info has not shown many US updates the last few days. I wonder whether the reason for that is the difficulty of plowing through all the various locations (sub-forums) on TMC to find updates to the SC network.

If watching superchargers throughout the entire US really is something one is interested in is it really that difficult to click on each regional forum? Two of them now have sub forms dedicated to Supercharging that can be subscribed to.

I would be happy if simple SCs progress updates were posted on a single thread on this board. Ideally one post for licensing request spotted, licensing approved, construction begins, construction done but waiting for transformer hookup/approval signoff, online. Or have supercharge.info reflect those status changes instead.Those that want more up to date info / pics then could go to the regional threads.Just a suggestion. I don't own a Tesla, I live far from any hopes of a supercharger or Tesla sales (Brazil).

Supercharge.info does reflect those changes (forgive the crummy formatting):

Date Change Site Status
Sun, Mar 1 2015 add Amarillo, TX permit
Thu, Feb 26 2015 add Effingham, IL permit
Wed, Feb 25 2015 update Charlotte, NC open

If watching superchargers throughout the entire US really is something one is interested in is it really that difficult to click on each regional forum? Two of them now have sub forms dedicated to Supercharging that can be subscribed to.

Yes, it is. This forum's title is "Charging Standards AND INFRASTRUCTURE" (emphasis added). It no longer seems to pertain to infrastructure and should thus be amended to be only "Charging Standards". I enjoyed coming to this forum to read about the speculation of new sites, the issues with permits (such as those that arose with the SC in NJ), construction progress, etc. I guess I will now have to be satisfied with just finding out when a permit is granted for an actual site (as opposed to speculation of a potential site), the start of construction (but not the progress thereof) and the opening of a SC by going to supercharge.info instead.

Yes, it is. This forum's title is "Charging Standards AND INFRASTRUCTURE" (emphasis added). It no longer seems to pertain to infrastructure and should thus be amended to be only "Charging Standards". I enjoyed coming to this forum to read about the speculation of new sites, the issues with permits (such as those that arose with the SC in NJ), construction progress, etc. I guess I will now have to be satisfied with just finding out when a permit is granted for an actual site (as opposed to speculation of a potential site), the start of construction (but not the progress thereof) and the opening of a SC by going to supercharge.info instead.

I second that. I simply will not spend the time going to 10 different forums to see progress. I will just no longer read this forum or any of those. I will wait for Blueshift to update the maps. Shame that mods feel to further organize things out of where they belong will decrease usership.

Sorry but I don't understand why this search isn't actually better than what we had before. Sure it brings up a lot of threads, but they're sorted to put newest posts firsts, so all of the recent updates are on the first page. Unlike the old system, where some threads were in regional forums and some were in this one, you get to see everything on one page. What am I not understanding?
Ok ok... after some experimentation, here's a one click shortcut by forming a search query in the URL.

www.teslamotorsclub.com/search.php?do=process&tag=Supercharger

Here's another that finds all the threads with Supercharger in the title.

www.teslamotorsclub.com/search.php?do=process&query=Supercharger&titleonly=1

Honestly the current system here is a mess.

It is far easier to simply use supercharge.info which does a better job aggregating the information, and allowing us to pick a specific SC to drill down on.

This type of function would have been nice to have here. Until is IS here, it would be better to quit whining, and use a better / different web site for this query, supercharge.info .

Sorry but I don't understand why this search isn't actually better than what we had before. Sure it brings up a lot of threads, but they're sorted to put newest posts firsts, so all of the recent updates are on the first page. Unlike the old system, where some threads were in regional forums and some were in this one, you get to see everything on one page. What am I not understanding?

The search link does actually make it easier to find threads than it was before, and that way I don't have to care how the threads are organized. I think the search link ought to be put into the Charging Standards & Infrastructure section so people who aren't reading through this thread and bookmarking the dynamic search link can find supercharger updates.

The title of this forum is called "Charging Standards AND INFRASTRUCTURE" (emphasis added). By this definition, anything pertaining to the permitting, construction, opening, etc. of a SC belongs in this forum as it pertains to the Infrastructure of the SC network, and not in the local forums. If the moderators wish for all posts pertaining to permitting, construction, opening, etc. of a SC to be posted in the local forums, then I submit the title of this form needs to be changed to simply "Charging Standards".

^ this makes sense.

I second that. I simply will not spend the time going to 10 different forums to see progress. I will just no longer read this forum or any of those. I will wait for Blueshift to update the maps. Shame that mods feel to further organize things out of where they belong will decrease usership.

^ so does this.

one of the most interesting things to me about the old system was the community sleuthing that went into locating new / upcoming SCs, and documenting their progress from permit to opening. i live in CA but i was still interested in Superchargers *in general*, and i'm surprised that there's no longer a central place for SC discussion, since they're such a huge part of Tesla's strategy / success / viability.

The links that Doug gave (thanks, Doug) work, but they need to be in a more visible place instead of buried in this thread. As someone that just moved from Milan, Italy to Chicago, I guarantee that there is an international interest in following the North American Supercharger development and there was a warm, community feeling about having all of them at the same place and the bantering back and forth. I really miss that now.

^Change makes people whine. ;)

Change usually improves the product, or at least attempts to. Where is the improvement? I failed to recognize the problem in the first place and if it had not been for the previous format, I would never have found them because why in the heck would I be concerned with regional threads about where to get my car detailed or what local electrician to call when all I want to know about is the infrastructure that is known as Super Charger.

The links that Doug gave (thanks, Doug) work, but they need to be in a more visible place instead of buried in this thread. As someone that just moved from Milan, Italy to Chicago, I guarantee that there is an international interest in following the North American Supercharger development and there was a warm, community feeling about having all of them at the same place and the bantering back and forth. I really miss that now.
Good idea; there is a new sticky thread: Link to Supercharger Threads
It's closed, so it just gives the links posted by Doug earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Change usually improves the product, or at least attempts to. Where is the improvement? I failed to recognize the problem in the first place and if it had not been for the previous format, I would never have found them because why in the heck would I be concerned with regional threads about where to get my car detailed or what local electrician to call when all I want to know about is the infrastructure that is known as Super Charger.
This forum was originally set up to discuss "Global developments in charging and charger standards, e.g. J1772 updates, CHAdeMO and announcements from Tesla that will affect all customers." I explained the rational for moving threads discussing specific North American supercharger sites upthread. I believe that the addition of the search links above will actually simplify the task of staying abreast of Supercharger developments, while allowing more general discussions to occur here without being buried in the helpful but voluminous posts about Supercharger site progress.

Change usually improves the product, or at least attempts to. Where is the improvement?
The improvement is that you can see all supercharger threads in one place whereas before there was some overlap between regional sections of the forum and this subforum (of course, if I'm honest, I have to admit this search was possible before they moved everything to the designated regions as well).

The improvement is that you can see all supercharger threads in one place whereas before there was some overlap between regional sections of the forum and this subforum (of course, if I'm honest, I have to admit this search was possible before they moved everything to the designated regions as well).
I seem to get much more on point results by changing the 'sort by' from 'relevance' to 'date' in 'descending order'. Using 'relevance' gives me a bunch of posts from last year or earlier. Anyone else?

I still don't see the need for the change, as it just adds one more click plus typing in Elon's last name to get me the same info. This is an improvement? Edit: Okay, now it's working as I'd expect. Weird.

well i'll accept that the new system is here to stay, but still think it's less helpful than a new subforum would be.

thanks for posting the sticky thread, Mods. i hope those threads stay as valuable a resource in their new homes.

I'm not judging or complaining but will tell you all my experience. I spend a lot less time on this site now that the threads have migrated to the regional forums. Yes, I could do a search or could go look at the individual forums but I don't. Won't be changing my behavior. The change is basically a nudge in the direction of TMC disengagement for me. Fun while it lasted...

I have to say it's baffling that threads about superchargers that can be thousands of miles away being located in a different subform means the site no longer has any value when it's not that difficult to still find the information. What was the plan in a few years when there are 500+ locations? There are also people who have no desire to read about rumors of Superchagers in Sweden when they live in Oregon for example. Can't please everyone but think the search link doug provided lets those that must know the latest on every Supercharger rumor in the world still keep informed.

I have to say it's baffling that threads about superchargers that can be thousands of miles away being located in a different subform means the site no longer has any value when it's not that difficult to still find the information. What was the plan in a few years when there are 500+ locations? There are also people who have no desire to read about rumors of Superchagers in Sweden when they live in Oregon for example. Can't please everyone but think the search link doug provided lets those that must know the latest on every Supercharger rumor in the world still keep informed.

We all have different opinions. I personally am on the side of PhilBa on this one. Just not willing to do the extra work necessary to get the information. I used to follow all those threads closely but no more.