Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Model S hype live up to expectations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe Tesla intentionally limit the number of upgrades for this time and every time, Tesla’s model is consistently improving, don’t wait for the upgrade, the best time to buy is now.

If they come out with too many upgrade features at the same time. More people will want to hold on to buy the car until the next major upgrade, Tesla wants to avoid that.

To the OP: the only "hype" was from some people posting breathless stories online based on very little real information. There was no "hype" from Tesla, in fact there was as usual no official advance notice from Tesla.

I think overall the S changes are good. I like the new nose, I'm confident the LED headlights are an improvement, and the other changes are fairly minor.

Reactions: Canuck
Does anyone know if the windshield on the face-lifted model allows radio waves to pass thru? People reported that, in the past, things like radar detectors and toll transponders didn't work inside the MS cab and had to be installed behind the nose cone.

I use suction cups to hold my radar detector against the windshield, and resting on the dash just above the wipers, and it works just fine.

OP: Does the Model S refresh live up to the hype? Like most others, I like the nose and am very happy about the LED headlights. I'm also still waiting for the 100kw battery so not quite ready to pull the trigger. For me the refresh is welcome, just slight.

But the HYPE? The hype was all about speculation and rumor. Who cares about the hype? I care about form and function and think that Tesla did a good job with incremental changes to keep the design fresh (new nose) and increase function (LED headlamps). Whether we get the upgraded battery, ventilated seats, and AP 2.0 on the next revision or not, I'm still a Tesla fan.

Still not able to select a seat/steering wheel/mirror profile BEFORE getting in the car. There's NO EXCUSE for this on a $90,000 car.

Anyone have pics of the door pockets that have been mentioned? I wonder if those can be swapped out.

I just got my Model S last Thursday. I was worried I'd just miss a refresh but pulled the trigger anyways. After seeing the refresh I have no regrets on buying when I did. I like the look of both cars. The adaptive LED lights would have been nice (had them on my Cadillac CTS) but certainly don't have any pangs of regret that I didn't get them. This is by far the most fun car I've ever had. I got the cowbell update last night and it finished updating about 1 am. I jumped in the car in my underwear and went for a drive just to try out the rainbow road cowbell easter egg:)

No regrets here. It's an awesome car that will only get more awesome as time goes by. I got the special end of quarter lease rate and saved $100 a month by ordering when I did so that's a plus as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Filter and GoTslaGo
The model X doors won't probably be used in the model S. The model X has automatic Falcon doors and thus the model S doors would look terrible on the X and well, different door handles for one car is just stupid so that likely is the reason why buttons were used.

I was just going over the Model S upgrade with a friend (and fellow Tesla owner). We both felt the upgrade was more cosmetic at this time, with a 1500 price increase. That being said we both agreed that the front end looks great. I suspect that there will be interior improvements that we will only see when the new MS hits the roads.

Those getting the new MS need to post! Promise?

My wife was particularly bummed that we missed the Biodefense mode. She has terrible allergies and would wear a space suit daily if she could. I would like to have the model X automatic door options on all four doors (controllable on the console). 360 camera would be great. I'm sure there will be more coming...

To the OP: the only "hype" was from some people posting breathless stories online based on very little real information. There was no "hype" from Tesla, in fact there was as usual no official advance notice from Tesla.

I think overall the S changes are good. I like the new nose, I'm confident the LED headlights are an improvement, and the other changes are fairly minor.
OP: Does the Model S refresh live up to the hype? Like most others, I like the nose and am very happy about the LED headlights. I'm also still waiting for the 100kw battery so not quite ready to pull the trigger. For me the refresh is welcome, just slight.

But the HYPE? The hype was all about speculation and rumor. Who cares about the hype? I care about form and function and think that Tesla did a good job with incremental changes to keep the design fresh (new nose) and increase function (LED headlamps). Whether we get the upgraded battery, ventilated seats, and AP 2.0 on the next revision or not, I'm still a Tesla fan.

I tend to agree. I'm new to the forum and got myself worked up reading all these reports about a new facelift coming only 1 week after my delivery. This speculation turned out to be unproductive and a waste of my time. I have since learned my lesson about the Tesla rumor mill. Very happy with my Tesla as is

I tend to agree. I'm new to the forum and got myself worked up reading all these reports about a new facelift coming only 1 week after my delivery. This speculation turned out to be unproductive and have since learned my lesson about the Tesla rumor mill. Very happy with my model S.

I also took delivery on 3/29. I knew a refresh was likely but I actually like the look for the "classic" S.
The "new" S is a wonderful vehicle, but I am not at all disappointing in my car.
With regards to the "hype" - that was all community generated. Tesla didn't stir the pot and I think they made some very nice updates at a reasonable price point. I do think there will be an increase in battery capacity across the range in the next 3-6 months (or sooner).
I knew that's what I signed up for when I purchased my Tesla - continuous improvements. I am very happy with the quality of my car, no issues and very well manufactured.

Now - I hope they sort out the doors on the X - I need to replace our minivan =).