Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the problem with the screen on the Model 3 is that you either (a) move the screen down some to integrate it into the dash since it's currently sticking up over top the dash at least a few inches or more OR (b) move the entire dash up and lose some windshield/visibility out the front. Is there another option?

I think I'll take the non-integrated screen if it means I can get better visibility out the front and not having to look way down at the only screen in the car while driving.

Reactions: tomas
That photo is indeed of an afterthought system. They designed the entire dashboard, then went back and added a touchscreen propped on top.

Tesla, however, designed the Model ☰ from the outset to have the majority of center console functions controlled by a single touchscreen. Not an afterthought but a purposeful decision and that is what it 'looks like'.

Until such time as someone develops and affordable application of a 3D hard light holographic interactive display that would a appear to 'float' in midair, Tesla's version of a 'floating screen' is the best we will get. Just because someone decided over a century ago that putting steam engine gauges in an embedded panel surrounded by bezels was a good idea doesn't mean that type of 'integration' is absolutely necessary at all.

Trains, ships, planes, and automobiles... The influence in design from one to the next is rather palpable.

article-1040538-0226FBEF00000578-535_468x311.jpg

7773ce7aff8293784928dd9642488e91.jpg

Engine%20Control%20Panel%201976%20Large.jpg

4429341931_cb633c555c_b.jpg

N34---Douglas-DC3-Cockpit.jpg

4355454406_593b203e65_b.jpg

f718b68eb52788baa28755cad8665f19.jpg

Caterham-Seven-160-interior.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

But is it necessary?

7defab420103c6503555f02f737d83f6.jpg

Ashley_Joker_Normandy_Bridge.jpg

Joker-Mass-Effect-ME1-Moreau-h5.jpg
Did I say I wanted gauges? I said the screen looks like it's glued in afterwards.

Look at those cool futuristic pictures you posted. Does anyone of those just show one screen, glued somewhere in the periphery?

No it's always multiplie ones, with multiple functions, nicely integrated into the "vehicle" as a whole. Like in the Porsche concept, or the Model S/X.

man porsche really does have some of the best interiors in the business (yes I know the price vs M3 = different target markets)
I agree the clock thingy is slightly out of place, but everything else... *thumbsup*
The clock "thingy" is part of the Sports Chrono package. Looks little out of place on the Panamera, but looks better (imo) on the Cayman/Boxster/911.

http://www.porsche.com/international/models/panamera/panamera/drive-chassis/sport-chrono-package/

Reactions: FlatSix911
I guess the problem with the screen on the Model 3 is that you either (a) move the screen down some to integrate it into the dash since it's currently sticking up over top the dash at least a few inches or more OR (b) move the entire dash up and lose some windshield/visibility out the front. Is there another option?
Sure -- leave it alone. Change your perspective slightly. It isn't that the screen is very high... The dashboard is very low compared to other cars. Thus, you will have a tremendous view out of the windshield to the world, and the road, beyond. The best thing going on here is that the dashboard is not as high as it would be in other cars.

I think I'll take the non-integrated screen if it means I can get better visibility out the front and not having to look way down at the only screen in the car while driving.
Ah. Nevermind. You already figured it out. Carry on.

Did I say I wanted gauges? I said the screen looks like it's glued in afterwards.

Look at those cool futuristic pictures you posted. Does anyone of those just show one screen, glued somewhere in the periphery?

No it's always multiplie ones, with multiple functions, nicely integrated into the "vehicle" as a whole. Like in the Porsche concept, or the Model S/X.
The Porsche has a very high dashboard. The Model ☰ touchscreen has the very same appearance you called out before 'floating'. Absolutely not 'glued on' -- as is the case with AUDI, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz cars in the class. In those cars, the screen is tacked on top of an already too-high dashboard, thereby further obstructing vision. It is a car, not living room cabinetry built-ins. There is no need for a floating display to be surrounded by casework.

Reactions: Topher
The clock "thingy" is part of the Sports Chrono package. Looks little out of place on the Panamera, but looks better (imo) on the Cayman/Boxster/911.

http://www.porsche.com/international/models/panamera/panamera/drive-chassis/sport-chrono-package/

Seconds...

And yes, I like some small details. I also have a clock on the wall at home and not just empty white walls.
As I've mentioned before, yet another attempt to pay homage to the chronograph used in Rolls-Royce vehicles for decades.

Clock_Thommen-Rolls-Royce-Cars-and-watches.jpg

rolls-royce-spirit-of-esctasy-clock.jpg

IMO form should always follow function, while reducing complexity. So in a sense eradicating most buttons and knobs is useful, but I am not so sure about all of them. But actually I don't really mind.

What I dislike is the "floating" screen. I have been making fun about the "glued on" screens of other manufacturers and I surely won't reverse my position on them, just because Tesla does in now, too. View attachment 232807

It just doesn't look well integrated, like an afterthought.
Those look tacked on because they really are tacked on. They basically took a general dash design (with original dash height and the same buttons and vents on the bottom) and tacked a screen on it.

The Tesla design looks more cohesive to me because the dash was designed for that screen positioning.

Reactions: Red Sage
The Porsche has a very high dashboard. The Model ☰ touchscreen has the very same appearance you called out before 'floating'. Absolutely not 'glued on' -- as is the case with AUDI, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz cars in the class. In those cars, the screen is tacked on top of an already too-high dashboard, thereby further obstructing vision. It is a car, not living room cabinetry built-ins. There is no need for a floating display to be surrounded by casework.

Just because back in the days someone had to show the horses where to go, doesn't mean I have to live as sparse as they did back then.
Unknown-2.jpeg

Glue a tablet to that and you have your super modern and unobstructed vision. It doesn't even have A-pillars!

What I want is an integrated product, where it is designed as once seamless piece. Like an iPhone, opposed to an old school flip-phone.

Reactions: N5329K
That's the word we are missing - seamless. I do agree they should have made the screen look seamless with the dash even if they don't integrate it fully. At the very least indented or raised border sections on the dash just where the screen is. Tesla has got 99% of Model 3 right on the money but that remaining 1% can go spectacularly wrong - certainly did with MX so I won't pretend this design has zero flaws or weaknesses.

Last edited:
One good thing on the M3 interior is that Tesla finally fixed the position of the cup holders and the doors finally have storage! Probably the center armrest will also have storage. IMO it is embarrassing that the Model S is a 100K car with no proper interior storage. But that is now fixed on the M3 and maybe Tesla will eventually fix that on MS.

As I've mentioned before, yet another attempt to pay homage to the chronograph used in Rolls-Royce vehicles for decades.

Clock_Thommen-Rolls-Royce-Cars-and-watches.jpg

rolls-royce-spirit-of-esctasy-clock.jpg
Hmm, can't see the point of having an analogue clock in the car. When the digital clock says 10:07 on the center screen I will know what time it is:). And if I want an analogue clock for the beauty of it, I'll wear a nice classic wristwatch. I would find it very strange if my Tesla had an analogue clock somewhere. Just my opinion.

That's the word we are missing - seamless. I do agree they should have made the screen look seamless with the dash even if they don't integrate it fully. At the very least indented or raised border sections on the dash just where the screen is. Tesla has got 99% of Model 3 right on the money but that remaining 1% can go spectacularly wrong - certainly did with MX so I won't pretend this design has zero flaws or weaknesses.
That sounds like increased manufacturing complexity and less of an ability to replace the screen with minimal labor.