Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds like increased manufacturing complexity and less of an ability to replace the screen with minimal labor.

Really?

Just to have a raised section (or contours) in the dash just behind the screen so at least it looks like the screen is a part of it rather than a single piece of wooden trim stretching from one end to the other as if they did not know there was going to be a screen when the dash trim was designed.

I am talking about keeping the screen floating as-is and changing the dash profile a bit - cannot imagine that makes the manufacturing complex and hard to replace screen?

Does your flat screen tv hang on your wall or is it integrated into your wall? Most are not integrated. We are used to that because TVs are seldom integrated historically. We grew up with the CRT box sitting on top of a piece of furniture. Is your computer integrated into your desk? Of course not, and you do not expect it. This is all about our learned expectations being violated. Gauges are integrated into dash, aren't they? We don't mind atrocious dash design as long as it aligns with our image of cockpit. Some people are more comfortable with paradigm changes than others. But everybody can adopt new paradigm over time. Give it a chance.

I think raising the dash to incorporate the screen would create volume that would feel like it should be filled with secondary gauges.

The inside will be futuristic, which is perhaps what Musk was going for with "spaceship".

Again, I was not suggesting we raise the dash and integrate the screen. Just some contours - maybe a small pocket like recession or two edges in the dash - something to suggest the dash was designed with that floating screen in mind.

Anyway just lamenting, I don't expect anything to change although we have 18 months to go for RHD ...

BTW do you know what I expect Elon to say... Model 3 was designed from ground up to be fully autonomous so when we arrive at level 5, you can chose to remove that screen from the front mount and have equivalent app running on your mobile or tablet as you relax in the back seat :)

Last edited:
"BMW will introduce an electric sedan model at Germany’s premier auto show in Munich in September with a range of at least 400 kilometers, designed as a direct competitor to Tesla’s Model 3 sedan, Handelsblatt has learned from company sources."

BMW Set To Introduce Electric Sedan
not going to subscribe to read the whole thing. assume probably introduced but not built until 2020. that seems to be usual BMW timeframe.

not going to subscribe to read the whole thing. assume probably introduced but not built until 2020. that seems to be usual BMW timeframe.
I think that timefrsme is about right for their 3 series EV, although there has been nothing stated officially yet.
The BMW CLAR platform design has been in the works since 2014 though, so could be surprises. Although Tesla Motors had intended to produce the Model 3 since 2007, they only started design work in late 2015.

"BMW will introduce an electric sedan model at Germany’s premier auto show in Munich in September with a range of at least 400 kilometers, designed as a direct competitor to Tesla’s Model 3 sedan, Handelsblatt has learned from company sources."

BMW Set To Introduce Electric Sedan

That announcement feels to me like they are going to find places to stuff batteries in the current 3 series.

It looks like the cheap carbon fiber won't scale for BMW and the market is heating up, so they are on to plan B.

That announcement feels to me like they are going to find places to stuff batteries in the current 3 series.
Apparently, they've been working on a new purpose built platform for battery storage. Of course they wouldn't do another EV prototype using an old platform in this market. They know it needs to be lightweight, balanced, and priced reasonably in order to compete.

It looks like the cheap carbon fiber won't scale for BMW and the market is heating up, so they are on to plan B.
That's possible, but how do you know this? It's more likely that something like sourcing batteries will be the more costly or prohibitive problem for them for scale.

That's possible, but how do you know this? It's more likely that something like sourcing batteries will be the more costly or prohibitive problem for them for scale.

Just a guess. 1) If you size up the i3 to a Bolt it weighs the same or more. 2) The "i" division execs quit. 3) I'm assuming the i5 was carbon fiber. I assume canceling that car is ending the line for high volume cars.

Traditionally tooling up to produce metal cars is repaid in low incremental unit cost. There is no indication that a new cheap carbon fiber process is is competitive at volume.

The model 3 with a 200 mile range with less than 60kwh battery shows the resilience of steel.

Just a guess. 1) If you size up the i3 to a Bolt it weighs the same or more. 2) The "i" division execs quit. 3) I'm assuming the i5 was carbon fiber. I assume canceling that car is ending the line for high volume cars.

Traditionally tooling up to produce metal cars is repaid in low incremental unit cost. There is no indication that a new cheap carbon fiber process is is competitive at volume.

The model 3 with a 200 mile range with less than 60kwh battery shows the resilience of steel.
The thing is, that CLAR platform is what they will use for their next generation of all cars and is already rolling out. CLAR uses their carbon fiber to some extent. For their all electrics, BMW will use a similar platform called FSAR which accommodates the battery in the floorboard a la Tesla.

So BMW will be producing high volume carbon fiber chassis in every car model at key points in the frame. Yes, the question is how much will they be using and how much will it cost them. But it's rolling out now in high volume.

Just because back in the days someone had to show the horses where to go, doesn't mean I have to live as sparse as they did back then.
View attachment 233011
Glue a tablet to that and you have your super modern and unobstructed vision. It doesn't even have A-pillars!

What I want is an integrated product, where it is designed as once seamless piece. Like an iPhone, opposed to an old school flip-phone.
I think you seriously need to define what you mean by 'integrated'. It sounds to me as if you mean 'casework' -- as in cabinetry. And that is a very nice open air Victorian Era carriage design. Problem is? You notion of tacking a 'super modern' display on top of it gives you an AUDI, BMW, or Mercedes-Benz interior. Or at least, the interiors for their convertible designs anyway. Since there is not likely to be a convertible version of the Model ☰ for some time, you would do better to compare to the enclosed Sedan versions of those cars, and the fully enclosed, gilded, encrusted, quilted, laced, frilled, tasseled, emblazoned stagecoaches and carriages of yesteryear as well. Here, I'll help...
catherine_the_greats_coach.jpg

8f4f4582576f6992d2e8daa761ac7378.jpg

0_8d9ae_4238aa87_XL.jpg

stal14.PNG

kultavaunut.jpg

That's the word we are missing - seamless. I do agree they should have made the screen look seamless with the dash even if they don't integrate it fully. At the very least indented or raised border sections on the dash just where the screen is. Tesla has got 99% of Model 3 right on the money but that remaining 1% can go spectacularly wrong - certainly did with MX so I won't pretend this design has zero flaws or weaknesses.
Wait... Hunh? What?!?

One good thing on the M3 interior is that Tesla finally fixed the position of the cup holders and the doors finally have storage! Probably the center armrest will also have storage. IMO it is embarrassing that the Model S is a 100K car with no proper interior storage. But that is now fixed on the M3 and maybe Tesla will eventually fix that on MS.
I'm pretty sure that Tesla made the front center console standard around a year or more ago. Or was it two years ago, when the Model S 90D debuted? In any case... The Tesla Model S has the highest internal storage capacity for cargo of any car in its class -- including those that are a foot or more longer. And you want to complain about... cubbie holes?

Really?

Just to have a raised section (or contours) in the dash just behind the screen so at least it looks like the screen is a part of it rather than a single piece of wooden trim stretching from one end to the other as if they did not know there was going to be a screen when the dash trim was designed.

I am talking about keeping the screen floating as-is and changing the dash profile a bit - cannot imagine that makes the manufacturing complex and hard to replace screen?
I call that idea the hump (I mentioned it previously). Personally I think it will look uglier than the current floating design.
Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

Reactions: Red Sage
Hmm, can't see the point of having an analogue clock in the car. When the digital clock says 10:07 on the center screen I will know what time it is:). And if I want an analogue clock for the beauty of it, I'll wear a nice classic wristwatch. I would find it very strange if my Tesla had an analogue clock somewhere. Just my opinion.
Yet, this anachronistic 'feature' is somehow of paramount importance in most vehicles that purport to be 'luxury' minded or desire to be considered as such. I've seen it in Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercury, Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, AUDI, Porsche, and other brands of flagship vehicles for decades now. Even those cars that use a digital clock still prominently display it in the same forward central position in the car.

Lemmeguess... It has something to do with... tradition, heritage, class, history, exclusivity, and a bunch of other trite marketing terms. Amirite?

Reactions: JeffK and SageBrush
BTW do you know what I expect Elon to say... Model 3 was designed from ground up to be fully autonomous so when we arrive at level 5, you can chose to remove that screen from the front mount and have equivalent app running on your mobile or tablet as you relax in the back seat :)
No. He won't say that. Ever.

To steal a line from BMW...

"At Tesla, the future of driving will always include... DRIVERS."