Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did not order the panoramic roof. Big mistake???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we opted for the pano roof. we have shuffled through several cars over the last 7 years and one of our favorites was the TDI Jetta Sportwagon with Pano roof. We live in the northwest, where we get long dark, wet winters. that extra light, even on a cloudy day is a good thing for the spirit. We are both 6'3" and the S is a bit low for our tastes, the extra headroom of the Pano feels better, both front and back. My understanding is that the coating on the glass repels most of the rays that would heat the car up on hot days. I was not put off by any noise issues on the 4 test drives we have taken, the last one of which was a production model and I was able to really open it up on the highway. I do wish it came more forward (depending on how far forward or back you keep your seat, you may see more or less of it) so that the front seats got more of it, that and I find the support bar that cuts it in half to be too bulky. it's hard to know if it will add much cold in the winter in this climate. I'll check back in after taking delivery in a few weeks.

does the pano roof have a sliding cover inside? if yes, power or manual slide?

It does not have a cover.

The Panoramic Roof doesn't have a sunshade yet. On the Options & Pricing web page Tesla continues to advertise that a manual sunshade is included in the price of the roof. Presumably Tesla intends to retrofit it into the roofs that they have already sold provided the owners wish to have it installed. To my knowledge to date no one has even seen a prototype sunshade.

Larry

I have a pano roof on mine and the car is dead silent at highway speeds. I can't imagine how quiet a non-pano car would be if mine is that quiet.

The non-pano roof creates negative noise...in other words, it draws out sound in the cabin and projects it out of the car, making it even quieter...or negative noise.

On topic: I can't imagine it being a big loss -- for me, anyway. I have used my Honda's sunroof every now and again in the spring and fall. It's nice for slow drives during those times of the year, but it's certainly something I wouldn't miss.

Issues with the pano roof may be firmware-related, but it is also another thing that can break. Not worth the extra money and worry for me.

I have the Pano roof and I'm very happy with it. I haven't driven a non-pano roof car, but I would imagine a non-pano roof car would be quieter. The glass acts as a sound reflector vs. a solid roof that would be cloth covered and act more as a sound dampener.

Also my pano roof will creak just a bit over some uneven road surfaces somewhere in the cross bar section. I'm super sensitive to sound, so I notice it, but it's not that often and it doesn't bother me at all.

Where you will probably notice a significant difference is if you drive the car in the 80+ mph range. Someone told me :wink: that there is some wind noise that seeps into the car from the seals of the pano roof and it becomes fairly evident in the 100+ mph range. But for those of us in the States, it shouldn't matter.:wink: So for those of you who take the car on the autobahn and want the quietest ride possible, you may want to get a solid roof!

Yes, Black roof here. I've had a sunroof in every single car I've ever owned and basically never use them. Neither my wife nor I could justify the $1500 price on the pano. The only reasons my current cars have them is because they came with some "package" that we opted for.

Now if it was a $500 for a solid glass roof, I probably would of opted for that.

I like the black roof, gives the S a bit of sportiness along with the grey performance wheels.

Yes, Black roof here. I've had a sunroof in every single car I've ever owned and basically never use them. Neither my wife nor I could justify the $1500 price on the pano. The only reasons my current cars have them is because they came with some "package" that we opted for.

Now if it was a $500 for a solid glass roof, I probably would of opted for that.

I like the black roof, gives the S a bit of sportiness along with the grey performance wheels.

And I saw shokunin's in person! It looked awesome with the dark blue. Gorgeous car.

I have no regrets getting the pano roof.. of course, I've only had my car for less than 12 hours. But in that time-frame, nope, no regrets.

I think the $1500 is well worth it for it. Its wide, huge opening is really sweet. And ample room for the back seat drivers. I guess after a few years we'll see how they hold up. But I have a big sunroof in my 1995 Toyota. No leaks, it has held up very well.

I never liked sun roofs or convertibles, and since this was going to be *my* car, I ordered some other options instead of the pano roof. In the long run, I know I will ba happy, but let me tell you, every single person who has "checked out" my car said to me "what, it doesn't come with a sun roof?" and I have to explain that I chose not to have one. But each time I hear that, I feel like the $1500 to NOT hear that would be Sooooo worth it. In fact, if there were a way to add one now, I think I would charge each person a $10 fine for it and get it installed when I had enough "donations" to cover the cost of installation. For now, I have to grit my teeth and endure, if THAT's the only thing they can nitpick about, then I know I have a decent ride :)