Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Elon Musk lie to us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a reservation holder, sure, I hope there is something cool yet coming for the premier edition of the car.

As an investor and well-wisher of the company, I was actually really happy that there were very few apparent changes to the design that the "release candidates" are showing compared with the original prototype. This is bet-the-farm car, being by far the best affordable electric car on the market in 2017-2018 is all that matters. Frankly, even if thousands of techie reservation holders walk away because of a simplification of the design and a deferral of bells and whistles, but hundreds of thousands of cars get delivered in the next 18+ months, I am delighted.

Elon and Team Tesla want all customers to be happy, but The Mission, to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport, is always primary. Everything else is short-term noise.

Well this picture is spaceship controls according to Elon. Giant touchscreens that swings, minimal physical buttons for emergency control and a joystick. No HUD to be seen anywhere. Maybe for Elon, spaceship controls is to enter your coordinates and say "make it so..."

I believe there are a number of items that were put on the backlog in order to get production on schedule. Elon learned his lesson with X of putting in too many new technologies in at once. So who knows what exactly his intent was for Spaceship controls, but FSD and minimalist interior may have been it.

2.jpg

Reactions: SageBrush and Vger
Well this picture is spaceship controls according to Elon. Giant touchscreens that swings, minimal physical buttons for emergency control and a joystick. No HUD to be seen anywhere. Maybe for Elon, spaceship controls is to enter your coordinates and say "make it so..."

I believe there are a number of items that were put on the backlog in order to get production on schedule. Elon learned his lesson with X of putting in too many new technologies in at once. So who knows what exactly his intent was for Spaceship controls, but FSD and minimalist interior may have been it.

2.jpg
Also very minimalist. And they didn't even have FSD!

0ED1AFFD-5426-4617-8934-C179148DB13D-1417-00000230B6C56225.jpeg

You can try to spin that anyway you want; but, if the Jalopnik photos are the final interior design, Elon lied.
And here I thought your thread was soliciting opinions. My mistake

My next opinion: if the final UI does not remind Elon of a spaceship, it means that design was tabled for now for any of a variety of reasons. <<shrug>>

Last edited:
When I first saw it at the reveal my initial impressions were:

1) The front-end looks...different
2) The center screen is....different
3) It's not a hatch.

After letting those realities sink in, I think/feel the following:

1) The front-end has grown on me. Looks like a mini Porsche Panamera...which I've also grown to like.
2) Center screen doesn't really bother me.
3) Still disappointed it isn't a hatch, but I can live with it. I have a truck if I have truly utilitarian needs.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
Considering that this whole mess was over steering wheel controls and we haven't seen the final steering wheel (the recent shots don't even include the wheel in any meaningful way), I think everyone just needs to take a couple steps back from the ledge here...
How many steering wheel iterations do you think they'll make? We've already seen two for this car.

You can try to spin that anyway you want; but, if the Jalopnik photos are the final interior design, Elon lied.

You lost me at 'Jalopnik'. What makes you think that they would have any kind of inside or final information?

I think you may have misunderstood @bmzl, @bonnie. I think he simply referred to the Jalopnik published Model 3 mule photos, not that Jalopnik would have had any insider information.

The point was, if what those mule photos that Jalopnik has published shows is final, then @bmzl felt Elon lied to us. If on the other hand the mule photos do not show the final interior, then the jury is still out in his opinion.

Hope this clarifies.

Reactions: Matias
I think you may have misunderstood @bmzl, @bonnie. I think he simply referred to the Jalopnik published Model 3 mule photos, not that Jalopnik would have had any insider information.

The point was, if what those mule photos that Jalopnik has published shows is final, then @bmzl felt Elon lied to us. If on the other hand the mule photos do not show the final interior, then the jury is still out in his opinion.

Hope this clarifies.
I fully understood what he was saying, but thank you for taking the time to correct what you believed was my lack of understanding.

Many times people use 'if' to imply things of which they are uncertain. Note he does not argue the opposite side - from the thread title to various posts, he implies lying. It would be tantamount to me saying things to someone like 'Are you a troll?' and then claiming 'But I didn't say you were a troll, I was just asking!!!'. Because, of course, I'm implying that person is a troll.

So hiding behind 'I didn't say Elon lied, I was only asking. I said IF!!!' is just as unacceptable, especially if the person is not arguing both sides.

I'm sure you understood that.

Reactions: Airx
I fully understood what he was saying, but thank you for taking the time to correct what you believed was my lack of understanding.

Many times people use 'if' to imply things of which they are uncertain. Note he does not argue the opposite side - from the thread title to various posts, he implies lying. It would be tantamount to me saying things to someone like 'Are you a troll?' and then claiming 'But I didn't say you were a troll, I was just asking!!!'. Because, of course, I'm implying that person is a troll.

So hiding behind 'I didn't say Elon lied, I was only asking. I said IF!!!' is just as unacceptable, especially if the person is not arguing both sides.

I'm sure you understood that.

Actually, I genuinely thought you misunderstood. So, apologies.

I do not think Elon lied, by the way. He may (or may not) have referred to future events that have since changed (and perhaps he should have known better than to do that), but I don't think the Jalopnik images being final would automatically mean Elon lied. I do believe @bmzl does believe so, though.